how do i get rid of this noise?

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i keep getting...im guessing radio signals through my amp. suchas people talking and stuff. how do i getrid of it?
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    i had that sometimes. it was worse on my friends amp. we moved them into another room and it went away. they were also near windows, and now are in corners. they may have been a factor. i'm not sure how it happens or what exactly stopped it, but it stopped. if that doesnt work for you, sorry.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Put a Faraday cage around it. It's the latest vintage amp accessory.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • You might have local radio interference, but you have to isolate where it's coming from.

Actually, listen to it for a while and see what station it is!

Start with just the amp and speaker cabinet on and nothing plugged in. It usually happens when gain and distortion is up.

Then plug the guitar cord in, and if it picks up then, then the cord is your antenna. Sometimes a shorter cord, and good shielded one will stop it.

Then plug the guitar in. If it's single coils, then they're picking up, too.

Other things that LOVE to be antennaesis,,, are wah wah pedals, and distortion/ overdrives.

It may take a while, but start one by one adding things to the chain and see what happens.

Is your electrical circuit grounded? If you live in an older house, you may not have a continuous ground all the way to your electrical box, or even a ground rod outside for the system. This is pretty common.
    Other things in your house that cause it are dimmer switches for lights, flourescent lights, appliances like refrigerators or even the blower on the heater. They give off electrical noise.

Try moving the amp to another room and see what happens. Sometimes a different circuit in the house is grounded better than others. This of course would mean that you have to test the system. You can do it with a little 5 dollar yellow three prong plug in circuit tester. They aren't the definitive test but they give a good idea.

This has become more of a problem over the years because there are more radio stations and electrical circuits and lights and dimmers and flourescents and appliances that give off interference that when Ahhhh waz a boy!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Are you playing a show at an Air Force base?

A while back, a guy quit a band because they were picking-up military broadcasts through the bloke's amp!