did mike really use his DC jr. for 1/3 of the shows?

seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
did mike really use his DC jr. for 1/3 of the shows? does he like it that much? i guess im gonna look into a reissue

hey monster, hows yours? can you still get lots of tones out of it even with 1 pup?
they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yes he did, but his isn't the 650$ one that you find in the stores and on MF. Those 650 guitars are complete crap, feels like your playing with a 2x4.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I love mine and depending on your amp settings or pedals you can get a lot of tones out of it, despite the one pup. Great feel to it too, and it sustains forever (as it should, its just a big hunk of mahogany with a pickup slapped into it!) I have the 58 historic reissue, but got a great price on it!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Yes he did, but his isn't the 650$ one that you find in the stores and on MF. Those 650 guitars are complete crap, feels like your playing with a 2x4.
    yeah, i played one of those, it was terrible! but i can get a really good deal on a TV doublecut, and i wanted to know how accurate they were to his sound.
  • Juniors are fantastic. Not the $600 one, that Gibson shouldn't even put their name on. If you want a good new one you'll have to spend the big bucks and get the VOS version.

That or go get the Standard SG with two P-90's for $999 (or what ever that is). It's quality for sure. I just ain't a fan of the SG at all.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Juniors are fantastic. Not the $600 one, that Gibson shouldn't even put their name on. If you want a good new one you'll have to spend the big bucks and get the VOS version.

That or go get the Standard SG with two P-90's for $999 (or what ever that is). It's quality for sure. I just ain't a fan of the SG at all.

The VOS LP Jr is amazing. I've thought about getting an SG before but something about that image... I can't see myself playing it.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    The VOS LP Jr is amazing. I've thought about getting an SG before but something about that image... I can't see myself playing it.
    i really dont like the look of sgs either
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    haha SGs are like crack, or frito lays. can't play just one.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Mmmmmm... crack
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    haha SGs are like crack, or frito lays. can't play just one.

I love my SG too. It just looks so damn cool! Plays great too!
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I always hated the look of SG's, and I never understood why anyone would play one (until I was given one).
    A guy gave me a 1972 SG-1 (made from 72-76) as payment for some session work I did, and it's honestly my favorite guitar to play at home.
    I can't believe how light it is, and it's got such a huge unplugged tone (the SG-1 is just a slab of mahogany, has 1-mini humbucker in the bridge, and a compensated wrap-around tailpiece).
    It's only worth about a $1000, but it's my favorite guitar to play during my lessons.
    I don't really like the sound of it plugged in (I really prefer neck pickups - this guitar only has a bridge P/U), but it has the fastest neck and such a loud tone -- and LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT (I could literally play this thing for 5-hours and not feel it - it almost feels like a toy).
    Anyhow, I can understand why Mike uses one - it's a big difference playing a Strat or a heavy Les Paul and then going to something this light.

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I always hated the look of SG's, and I never understood why anyone would play one (until I was given one).
    A guy gave me a 1972 SG-1 (made from 72-76) as payment for some session work I did, and it's honestly my favorite guitar to play at home.
    I can't believe how light it is, and it's got such a huge unplugged tone (the SG-1 is just a slab of mahogany, has 1-mini humbucker in the bridge, and a compensated wrap-around tailpiece).
    It's only worth about a $1000, but it's my favorite guitar to play during my lessons.
    I don't really like the sound of it plugged in (I really prefer neck pickups - this guitar only has a bridge P/U), but it has the fastest neck and such a loud tone -- and LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT (I could literally play this thing for 5-hours and not feel it - it almost feels like a toy).
    Anyhow, I can understand why Mike uses one - it's a big difference playing a Strat or a heavy Les Paul and then going to something this light.

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

I think the weight here is significant. Don't forget Mike is over 40 and does not have the best physical health, and stands and plays for a few hours every night. PLus P90's have awesome tone, and that DC Junior would have great upper fret access, as well as probably a short scale length, though the experts can comment on that.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • The VOS LP Jr is amazing. I've thought about getting an SG before but something about that image... I can't see myself playing it.

Don't get me wrong, the SG's are cool. They are just not me that's for sure. I've I'd the SG with the P-90's a buddy has one, I've almost bought one a couple times. Just never crossed the line. Les Paul with P-90's would be fantastic too, but that's alot of weight to be carrying on this old back any more!!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Don't get me wrong, the SG's are cool. They are just not me that's for sure. I've I'd the SG with the P-90's a buddy has one, I've almost bought one a couple times. Just never crossed the line. Les Paul with P-90's would be fantastic too, but that's alot of weight to be carrying on this old back any more!!!!

MAybe you should look at the Gibson BFG. It is not only affordable, but has P90 neck, and is chambered, making it very light, as well as nice and resonant, without reducing it's tone !! YOu could easy chuck a HUmbucker size P90 in the bridge if you wanted. It's a great base to start a mod guitar from, cos it's only half finished anyway.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • MAybe you should look at the Gibson BFG. It is not only affordable, but has P90 neck, and is chambered, making it very light, as well as nice and resonant, without reducing it's tone !! YOu could easy chuck a HUmbucker size P90 in the bridge if you wanted. It's a great base to start a mod guitar from, cos it's only half finished anyway.

Not my thing there. But thanks.

• E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I have a Hamer Artist Korina with P-90's that I like a lot (it's kind of similar to that Hamer).
    http://www.theguitarfactory.com/mfgr/hamer/artk.jpg
    http://www.theguitarfactory.com/itemid/2584/#
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>