Replacement Speakers

sheenTNsheenTN Posts: 163
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am fixing up a '63 Fender Bassman cabinent, and wanted some advice on replacement speakers ('cause there's just one JBL that doesn't mount on the interior screws) I saw that Jensens were what it originally came with it, but I know fellow PJ fans can give me some good leads and good ideas. The head works great, but I really want to give it a good makeover, as close to the original as possible. Thanks!
Knoxville '98, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh 2003, Nashville 2003, Asheville 2004, Bonnaroo 2008, Columbia 2008, EV The Ryman 1&2 2009, Alpine Valley 1&2 2011, Charlotte 2013, Columbia 2016, Lexington 2016, Bonnaroo 2016
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Talk to Ted Weber.

http://www.tedweber.com

oh and hit up the gear page

http://www.thegearpage.com

also what kind of sound are you going for? yeah, likely it came with alnico jensens, but do you know enough about speakers and or your bassman
    to answer that question yet?

The 10125's will get you really close to web's version of the original.

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/

you can check out eminence on his site too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • sheenTNsheenTN Posts: 163
    This was a find. Literally. It was in an apartment my parents in law owned, and was left behind. Inside the cabinet is on JBL K150 that is too big. I checked on a Fender Bassman search and found out that it was either a Jensen C12N or Oxford 12M6's that orignally came with it, so I guess that may be the right route to go with. I would love to recapture that early Pete Townsend sound, or even a Replacements tone.
    Knoxville '98, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh 2003, Nashville 2003, Asheville 2004, Bonnaroo 2008, Columbia 2008, EV The Ryman 1&2 2009, Alpine Valley 1&2 2011, Charlotte 2013, Columbia 2016, Lexington 2016, Bonnaroo 2016
  • supa_scoopasupa_scoopa Posts: 19
    Talk to Ted Weber.

http://www.tedweber.com

The 10125's will get you really close to web's version of the original.

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/
    I only buy or recommend Weber speakers.
    1992 Lollapalooza Detroit
    1998 Cleveland
    2000 Columbus
    2004 Toledo
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sheenTN wrote:
    This was a find. Literally. It was in an apartment my parents in law owned, and was left behind. Inside the cabinet is on JBL K150 that is too big. I checked on a Fender Bassman search and found out that it was either a Jensen C12N or Oxford 12M6's that orignally came with it, so I guess that may be the right route to go with. I would love to recapture that early Pete Townsend sound, or even a Replacements tone.

well ok then. Weber is definately the guy to talk to.

this is a blackface bassman correct? the speaker I posted was for the tweed version sorry. I think those speakers are ceramic mag's and not alnicos. But you might prefer the alnico sound which is more chimey, especially the brit versions, it's all personal preference really you'll get more headroom from the ceramics which tend to break up later and be more forceful and crunchy but Weber can find you what you want I think.

Check out the signature and british series, you could mix and match as well.

How many 12's are in that cabinet?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If you want to get real crazy, check out the celestion gold series...it's a 50 watt Blue!!!

The Naylor speakers have some Jensen Vibe, but better breakup IMO.
    this is the blonde bassman with the goldface. It has two 12's in it. I've heard about the celestions, but I must say this is the first I have heard about Weber. I may have to check these out, but what should I do with this 14" JBL? Ebay it? And which Weber is the consensus as the best fit for this style amp? What about the signature 12" Alnicos?
    I think the Weber's would probably be the closest to the old Jensen's, short of scoring an old Jensen in good shape. :)
    I'm pretty scared of gettin' some old Jensens that last a month, so I think Weber seems to be what everybody is leaning towards. All of y'all fuckin' rock!! Thank you for the help!!!! Keep the ideas rollin' in.
    The Weber you seek is the 12A125A. That's their version of the PQ12. A nice speaker indeed.
    Eharmonic- you da man! I was torn between trying to completely restore it (finding the old Jensens) or finding something that will recapture the tone. THANK YOU!!!! I think I'll be placing my order, and I really appreciate the help from my fellow musicians and PJ fans. I'll post with the results. Again, THANK YOU!
    sheenTN wrote:
    Eharmonic- you da man! I was torn between trying to completely restore it (finding the old Jensens) or finding something that will recapture the tone. THANK YOU!!!! I think I'll be placing my order, and I really appreciate the help from my fellow musicians and PJ fans. I'll post with the results. Again, THANK YOU!

No sweat. I don't know that it would be more affordable to find an old Jensen and have weber recone it anyhow...probably works out to be about the same...and IMO, not worth it just to say you have a Jensen...ya know?

The Weber is a damned fine speaker. A lot of boutique guys use them for their Fender-inspired circuits.