My lucky find..and some need for advice.

sheenTNsheenTN Posts: 163
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have finally had one of those things happen to me that only seems to happen to others. Here it goes: My wife came back from home asking me if Fender was a good brand of amp, because she had found two left behind at an apartment that was rented out by her dad. Today I went to collect these two amps, and it turned out to be (after my research) a 1964 Blonde Fender Bassman head and cabinet. I to off the cabinet back to see that it only has one speaker( JBL K150) and the tubes are not original, I belive that they are Sovteks b/c they say made in Russia. They amp still works well, with a little crackle when using the normal input, but the bass instrument input sounds great. Here's the question that I need help on: I'm not in a band anymore with no current prospects for one, so do I A) try to sell the amp as it is, B) restore the amp and then sell it, or C) restore it and continue to give thanks every day for this find. I have never tried to restore a vintage anything, so gimme some feedback. THANKS!!
Knoxville '98, Greensboro 2000, Raleigh 2003, Nashville 2003, Asheville 2004, Bonnaroo 2008, Columbia 2008, EV The Ryman 1&2 2009, Alpine Valley 1&2 2011, Charlotte 2013, Columbia 2016, Lexington 2016, Bonnaroo 2016
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    sheenTN wrote:
    I have finally had one of those things happen to me that only seems to happen to others. Here it goes: My wife came back from home asking me if Fender was a good brand of amp, because she had found two left behind at an apartment that was rented out by her dad. Today I went to collect these two amps, and it turned out to be (after my research) a 1964 Blonde Fender Bassman head and cabinet. I to off the cabinet back to see that it only has one speaker( JBL K150) and the tubes are not original, I belive that they are Sovteks b/c they say made in Russia. They amp still works well, with a little crackle when using the normal input, but the bass instrument input sounds great. Here's the question that I need help on: I'm not in a band anymore with no current prospects for one, so do I A) try to sell the amp as it is, B) restore the amp and then sell it, or C) restore it and continue to give thanks every day for this find. I have never tried to restore a vintage anything, so gimme some feedback. THANKS!!

None of the above. Send it to me. I'll take care of 'er for you. ;)

I do know that original speakers and tube can be hard to come by, but if someone wanted to use the amp for gigging, they'd probably swap the tubes and speakers anyways. So as what to do with it... I'd sell it to someone who really wants it. To make the most money off the sale by either selling as is, or restored, someone else will know WAY better than I will.