1998 - Yield - Tampa (FL) - first played it at Gold's Gym in North Tampa
    1998 - LOTL - Syracuse NY
    2000 - Binaural - Syracuse NY
    2000/01 - bought Mansfield 8/30/00 show in Rochester NH Walmart
    2003 - Riot Act - Warwick (RI)
    2006 - Pearl Jam - StopnShop (CT)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    the first time i put in Yeild and hear Brain of J.

what an amazing effect.
    i was having such a bad weekend, and i felt this ultimate wave to relief and reassurance that i almost cried.
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    Vitalogy first day it was released.

My auntie (RIP) bought it for me while i was at work, knew she had so i never peedled so fast to get home. Heard a ton of reviews that Corduroy would just be a true PJ classic, just couldnt believe how fuckin unreal that song sounded and still done 14 years later. Oh yeah Last Exit melted me also.
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    the first time i put in Yeild and hear Brain of J.

what an amazing effect.
    i was having such a bad weekend, and i felt this ultimate wave to relief and reassurance that i almost cried.

Once they played the Do the Evolution video... i felt the same way... that video is still my favorite music video...
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,691
    I miss those days. We have albums on the internet weeks early and the days of lining up at midnight are long gone.

I agree.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    fractusfractus Posts: 67
    I purchased 10 through columbia house.

Columbia house, haha. Wow, are they even still around. I was a little shit though. Got my 10 cds free and never lived up to buying the rest. bad I know
    An alien at home behind the sun
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    It was the week that the Greatest Hits cd came out. My friend was having a get together and when another friend invited me he decided that wasn't cool and gave him shit for it. He proceeded to tell me that I could come, but i knew it was out of guilt. So i passed and was going to go to the movies instead by myself. I got to the street where I could either take the right to the movies or take the other right to the mall. I chose the mall. I am well known for buying cds of bands I don't know. I like the excitement of not knowing what they are going to be like. Well, I bought Rearviewmirror. That cd changed my life forever. Everything that I had been going through in my life (won't get into it for the sake of time) was answered right there. I'm not a religious person, but I found my religion that day. I will say one thing. When my mom left out of the blue one day and moved to North Carolina, I listened to Rearviewmirror for a week straight on repeat so that I would remember why I was so upset and would not forget why. Everytime I hear that song now I am remembered about what it is like to try to run from something that is so prevalent in your life. I would not trade that emotion for anything. I still listen to it daily, and when I scrounge up enough money to get a tattoo I plan on getting a Rearviewmirror with the stickman inside it to signify how i felt during that time and who it was who helped me keep my head up high.

This is the epitomy of the power of music...and especially the power of Pearl Jam!

When a song/album hits you like a ton of bricks...and changes your life forever!

I bought every album... starting with Vs... at a midnight release at the same Tower Records in Campbell CA.

Self titled will be the last one because Tower Records has since become a Petco.

I will miss my ritual.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    This is the epitomy of the power of music...and especially the power of Pearl Jam!

When a song/album hits you like a ton of bricks...and changes your life forever!

I bought every album... starting with Vs... at a midnight release at the same Tower Records in Campbell CA.

Self titled will be the last one because Tower Records has since become a Petco.

I will miss my ritual.

You know... I've never waited at midnight for a cd... only dvds... i guess it has a lot to do with this modern era of music and such... really is a sad thing.
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes
  • Options
    I don't recall how I got it, but I remember coming home from school everyday for easily a month and putting on Yield and totally rocking out to it. Still my favorite album, good times.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    JimBerkell wrote:
    You know... I've never waited at midnight for a cd... only dvds... i guess it has a lot to do with this modern era of music and such... really is a sad thing.

Yeah...I was always behind the times when it came to getting music "leaks" early on the internet.

I loved PJ releases and going at midnight and waiting in a line (every release had a line around the building) and talking music with other people.

This last album though...I did listen to the AOL free listen a few days before the Avocado release.

It was kind of sad to not get the first listen in my truck. Now I get nothing.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    cutback wrote:
    couldn't tell ya when/where i purchased ten but every release since was on the day of release...i do miss the old days where we had to wait for the release day to hear a new album.....:)

on a side note, this morning on sirius they played evenflow and blood sugar sex magic back to back....for the summer of '92 these were the only two albums i listened to :D
    Man, I wish I could've lived that. (Waiting on line at midnight to buy an album the first day it's out) Scratch that, I wish I was a teen in the '90s

Though I did make sure I found a real record store and bought Ten. I've gotten the rest of my PJ CDs off of Amazon.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    I bought all the albums back in 2004 I think off amazon. I even ordered Avacado on amazon. But I did buy Lost Dogs at a record store atleast. :)
    Nathan
  • Options
    I don't really remember where I was when I bought each individual album, but I've always associated Vs. with my birthday. It was my favorite birthday gift from my mom that year, and I'm pretty sure it was released a day or two before my birthday. As a result I still consider Vs. to be "MY" Pearl Jam album...a birthday gift from the band specifically for me. :)

I also remember being upset when I thought I wasn't going to be able to pick up No Code the day it came out, but my mom dropped me off at Best Buy while she ran errands so I was able to! My mother=enabler. :)
    6/3/06 East Rutherford
    6/23/06 Pittsburgh
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/22/08 DC
    6/25/08 MSG
    8/4/08 EV NYC
    8/5/08 EV NYC
    8/7/08 EV Newark
  • Options
    I got my first PJ album in the fall of '93 when I was 11. I traded 2 Chris Webber rookie cards, A Shaq Fleer Refractor card and a Michael Jordan Topp Stadium Club to my friend for his VS cassette tape. Obviously all these years later, I came out with the better trade. There was something a little different about my version though. This was a factory version of the tape, but I guess my friend didn't like the song "Indifference", so he put scotch tape over the holes on the top of the cassettes and taped Dr. Dre's "Bitches Aint Shit" over "Indifference". Of course, he did not tell me about this, so I'm listening to the end of Leash and then all of a sudden I hear "Bitches aint shit but hoes and tricks" and I'm thinking, "whoa, why is Snoop Dogg on Pearl Jams album?!?!?!" I asked my friend about it the next day and he said, "Yeah, the last song was kind of lame, so I put on a better song."
  • Options
    I got my first PJ album in the fall of '93 when I was 11. I traded 2 Chris Webber rookie cards, A Shaq Fleer Refractor card and a Michael Jordan Topp Stadium Club to my friend for his VS cassette tape. Obviously all these years later, I came out with the better trade. There was something a little different about my version though. This was a factory version of the tape, but I guess my friend didn't like the song "Indifference", so he put scotch tape over the holes on the top of the cassettes and taped Dr. Dre's "Bitches Aint Shit" over "Indifference". Of course, he did not tell me about this, so I'm listening to the end of Leash and then all of a sudden I hear "Bitches aint shit but hoes and tricks" and I'm thinking, "whoa, why is Snoop Dogg on Pearl Jams album?!?!?!" I asked my friend about it the next day and he said, "Yeah, the last song was kind of lame, so I put on a better song."

well i hope he is no longer your friend as obviously he is a moronic asshole!! :D:D
  • Options
    well i hope he is no longer your friend as obviously he is a moronic asshole!! :D:D

True Enough:)
  • Options

hahahahahah.... that is so damn awesome. i mean it's terrible, but so so awesome.
  • Options
    jasonwjasonw Posts: 390
    I can't remember a lot of specifics, but LO2L is what got me into PJ and after i saw them in pittsburgh in 2000 when i was a senior in high school i went to the mall every friday (payday at dairy queen) and got another album. I think the order was something like yield, vitalogy, ten, binaural. I got bought no code off a friend who became a hipster and was too cool for pj for 5 bucks at some point during the weekly album trips and i got Vs. at a used cd school when i went to visit the college i ended up attending. I got lost dogs at midnight when it came out, really annoyed the wal-mart clerk. And i ordered "Pearl Jam" from 10c and it never came (ive actually had several shipping issues with 10c) so i went and got it the day it came out.

EDIT: Opps forgot riot act.....got in sophmore year in college day it came out
  • Options
    The only one I remember specifically is the last one and that is because it arrived a week early and I was so excited to find it in the mailbox when I went home for lunch...put it on the stereo and cranked that shit, got back to work late
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    The only one I remember specifically is the last one and that is because it arrived a week early and I was so excited to find it in the mailbox when I went home for lunch...put it on the stereo and cranked that shit, got back to work late

I got mine on the release date in the mail... I couldn't wait so I ended up downloading the album from 10c at midnight the night before and listening to the digital version first... :( Shame on me.
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    The first album I bought was Yield. Upon hearing it for the first time I was completely and utterly hooked on PJ, and within 2 months had all their other albums. I've never looked back......
  • Options
    topetope Posts: 37
    I ordered every single album on vinyl when each was released here in NZ. So I have 10, vs, vitalogy, no code, binaural, riot act and LOTL vinyls. I remember the first time I played each one! And the excitement! I especially remember spin the black circle, for obvious reasons. So I am eternally devastated that I was unable to get a copy of their self titled album when it came out (on vinyl). I'm sure one day I'll luck into it. It's kind of funny for me, because I was certainly the only person I ever knew here in NZ that got the PJ albums on vinyl, and now it seems like there is a big craze going down, like a vinyl revival, which is awesome! Apart from the fact that it's made it bloody difficult for me to get my hands on that self titled LP.

And to make any of you who may be jealous feel better, my copies ain't no sealed or never been played copies, they have all seen many a night spinning at various parties and are rough as guts in places, but i still love them dearly. Now all I need is that self titled, plus an Auckland 2009 concert. Not too much to ask, is it?
  • Options
    I remembered the day I picked up Ten like it was yesterday. My son Dylan was born the weekend before it came out on 8/24/91. I had already gotten the Alive 3 song promo thru Sony/Epic after writing them a letter about Mother Love Bone and had just fell in love with my new son & favorite band all in the same week. My girlfriend Amy, baby & I drove down to the local indie record shop (Music Shack - now it's gone!) in Troy, NY to pick it up. The CD came in a cardboard long box with a sticker on it mentioning "features members of Mother Love Bone". We played the shit out of it for the next 6 months. Soon after we saw our first PJ show & met the band on the Chili Peppers Tour. My girlfriend & I split up a few years later.
    My son got to see his first Pearl Jam show this past summer at Hartford, CT. And the shows go on...

11/05/91 Troy, NY (1st show & met the band!)
    11/08/91 CBGB's, NYC - 10 Club Show
    11/16/91 Roseland, NYC
    04/08/92 Axis, Boston, MA
    05/09/92 Mesa, AZ
    08/04/92 Lollapalooza '92 - Saratoga Springs, NY
    08/07/92 Lollapalooza '92 - Great Woods, MAnsfield, MA
    09/08/92 Lollapalooza '92 - Phoenix, AZ
    08/18/93 Toronto, Canada w/Neil Young, Soundgarden & Blues Traveler
    11/06/93 Mesa, AZ - Benefit Show
    11/07/93 Mesa, AZ - Benefit Show
    04/07/94 Rochester, NY
    04/10/94 Boston Garden
    09/28/96 Randalls Island, NYC
    09/13/98 Hartford, CT
    08/27/00 Saratoga Springs, NY
    04/29/03 Albany, NY
    05/02/03 Buffalo, NY
    06/29/03 Montreal, Canada
    07/02/03 Mansfield, MA
    07/03/03 Mansfield, MA
    07/06/03 Camden/Philly
    07/11/03 Mansfield, MA 3 1/2 hour show!
    07/14/03 Holmdel, NJ
    09/28/04 Boston, MA
    09/29/04 Boston, MA
    10/01/04 Vote For Change - Reading, PA
    10/02/04 Vote For Change - Toledo, OH w/Neil Young
    09/15/05 Montreal, Canada
    09/16/05 Ottawa, Canada
    09/28/05 Pittsburgh w/Stones
    10/03/05 Philly, PA
    05/12/06 Albany, NY
    05/13/06 Hartford, CT
    05/20/06 Cleveland, OH
    05/27/06 Camden/Philly
    05/28/06 Camden/Philly
    06/03/06 East Rutherford, NJ
    08/05/07 Chicago, IL - Lollapalooza '08!
    06/20/08 Camden/Philly 2
    06/22/08 Washington, D.C.
    06/24/08 MSG 1
    06/25/08 MSG 2
    06/27/08 Hartford
    06/28/08 Mansfield 1
    06/30/08 Mansfield 2

JimBerkell wrote:
    a certain album? I'm sure you all have awesome stories about the day you got different PJ albums.

Mine is about Binaural.
    It was released on a school day in May? I believe and I had to wait til school let out to pick it up from Best Buy. My best friend and I were sophomores. As soon as I saw the artwork I knew I was just gonna be in love with it. How cool is that hour-glass nebula? And I was so damn excited because it was gonna be the first album with Matt Cameron!!! The drummer for Soundgarden!! Well, as soon as we got in the car my friend put the cd in... and proceeded to play each track for about 20 seconds saying "Not Ten, not Ten..." etc. Then he pretended to throw my cd out the window. We still played the cd until I got home but it was then that I knew that Pearl Jam had grown up and most casual fans would never "get it." This is still my favorite album by the band.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 11/05/91, 11/08/91, 11/16/91, 4/08/92, 5/09/92, 8/04/92, 8/07/92, 9/08/92, 8/18/93, 11/06/93, 11/07/93, 4/07/94, 4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/13/98, 8/27/00, 4/29/03, 5/02/03, 6/29/03, 7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/06/03, 7/11/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/01/04, 10/02/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/20/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/03/06, 8/05/07, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/10/10, 5/21/10, 9/07/11, 9/12/11, 9/14/11 & 9/15/11.
    Side Projects/Solo Shows: Brad 10/27/02, Eddie Vedder: 8/2/08, 6/8 & 6/9/09, 6/16/11 & 6/18/11.
  • Options
    BrezBrez Posts: 570
    In 2004 (I was 13) I was looking through all of these old cd's my dad had laying around in the basement. I found this one labeled "TEN". Literally blew the dust off of it, and gave it a listen.

Then I bought LO2L at a Best Buy in Hyannis. It was all downhill from there. It is to this day my favorite CD, live or studio of all time. I still clearly remember hearing the opening to Corduroy for the first time ever in the parking lot in my dad's truck. I think for a few months straight I would blast that CD in my room and just jump around like an idiot.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    hmmm, strangely enough I don't remember picking up Vitalogy or Binaural yet vividly recall the other studio albums, only Ten and Yield I didn't purchase on the release date.

Whilst paying for my Vs cassette the guy behind the counter told me he was surprised that it was outselling the new Take That which came out that day too, and walking home with it all anxious and excited I heard WMA coming out of an upstairs window, recognising Ed's voice I just stopped and stood there......a short while later I heard Go and entered a state of deep ecstasy
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    Whilst paying for my Vs cassette the guy behind the counter told me he was surprised that it was outselling the new Take That which came out that day too, and walking home with it all anxious and excited I heard WMA coming out of an upstairs window, recognising Ed's voice I just stopped and stood there......a short while later I heard Go and entered a state of deep ecstasy

Hmm... I don't know who Take That is... but I wouldn't think that with how well Ten was selling that it would be any suprise Vs was selling so well too.