My acoustic is starting to feel like a good buddy

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
It's weird. I just started college a few weeks ago, and my guitar is one of the few things that I brought with me from home. And I get this weird feeling when I pick it up that I haven't gotten before... it's like I'm picking up something that's a part of me, even though I've only had this guitar for a little over eight months. Kinda like it wants me to play it in a way, and it just feels right in my hands.

Plus, I got a HUGE sense of satisfaction the other day when I played a kid's old $1400 Martin, and realized that my $300 Seagull that I got from eBay was right up there with it. :)

Do any of you guys build sentimental relationships with your guitars?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yes sir!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I will usually just gig with my old 12-string Martin-prototype Sigma. I know it so well. It's a circa 1970 guitar, and I was born in 1972. I've had it since 1990, and neither the Takamine nor Seagull I've bought since has felt right, in comparison.
  • Well, I still have my original 1980 Ibanez acoustic, stilll sounds as good as anything else I have ever played, and she sure is an old friend.

I'm not surprised she is a touchstone for you. With not much else connecting you to home it makes perfect sense.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I know the feeling. As much as I enjoy playing my LP, only my Strat feels like "home."
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    DOSW wrote:
    Do any of you guys build sentimental relationships with your guitars?
    Absolutely. My first ever acoustic (96 Maton) still sits by the side of my bed and i will never part with it. It's what i learnt to play on, still keeps me company on the nights i can't sleep, like i just reach out and grab it and play for ages. I got it when i was about 13. Yeah..good times. It's like it's always been there. Feels like home.
  • I have the same feeling with my 1978, very busted Guild. I was also born in '78. I got it through a very nice trade a year ago and I never looked back.

I did however managed to scar it some more today by banging it against the door by accident :(

And yet she never complains, she just keeps on singing.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I still have my first electric guitar to this day, and although i dont play it much, im not gonna let it go. I wouldnt get alot of money for it anyway, but i wouldnt want any.

I used to have a Fender Jaguar which i loved but i just could not get the right action on it, i put it into a local music shop to see if they could help me out but it didnt so i sold it.

Ive had an Epi LP for a few years now but there are long periods where i just dont pick it up, doesnt feel right to me.

Im going back to Fender. Jaguar or a Tele.... im still deciding which.