Damn fret buzz

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright, this is really starting to piss me off. My electric simply buzzes all the time. A couple days after I bought it (about two months ago) I took it in to the local guitar shop to eliminate the buzz... it worked fairly well, but a little buzz was still there so I switched to a lighter pick (I actually used the narrowest part of a light sharkfin pick) to reduce 'attack'. Anyway, I recently went back to a standard medium pick, and now it's like there's a hive of bumble bees in the neck. I play somewhat hard, but it's not like I thrust my entire right side at the strings or anything.

I can raise the bridge again, but I really don't want the action much higher than it is (it's actually fairly high right now). I'm kind of nervous about adjusting the truss rod. Should I take it into the music shop and have the tech adjust the neck again? I guess it's possible that the cold weather and dry air warped the neck again.

Any help on this would really be appreciated. It's such a bitch trying to sort this out.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It could be the change of seasons, or old strings, too.

You might need to put more "relief" in the neck, which is what adjusting the truss rod would do.
    Relief is a bit of outward bow in the neck so it's not quite straight

Fret buzz comes from a too straight or backbowed neck, playing hard, light gauge strings, and old strings because they flop around more than newer strings.

if you have a capo,,,, put it on the first fret.
    Get two pieces of notebook paper
    Hold the E string down at the 17th fret
    Check the gap between the string and the fretboard at the 9th fret by sliding the two pieces of paper while the guitar is in playing position (Not flat on its back. If the paper doesn't fit, then you need relief
    If it's REALLY loose, then you may have too much, but that's probably not your problem.

Loosen the truss rod nut just like 1/8th a turn if you have the wrench and check it again after a few minutes. If it's still too straight try another 1/8th turn and on and on... DON'T crank hard on it if it doesn't want to turn. Take it to a tech then. It'll turn though! :)

If that works,,, haha,,, bingo!!

It's a good thing to learn because necks do change as does your playing style, as do strings. Some strings seem to vibrate farther than others. Even the same brand and gauge.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart