How do you write if you can't sing?

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Seriously. This is a big problem for me. I can't really play well at all (I've only been playing for a few months, as some of you might remember), but I still find it fun to try and write my own simple songs with power chords and simple major/minor chords. The problem is, although I love to come up with lyrics, it's hard for me to put them to music, mostly because I can't hold a tune if my life depended on it.

I don't want to write instrumentals for the rest of my life! What do I do?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Work on the singing, it WILL come eventually!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I think it was Kurt Cobain who said this and I always look toward this when i am about to sing-As long as there is emotion in it, like real and raw emotion, you'll be fine. I used to suck at singing but if I sang somthing like Jeremy or Betterman or Ledbetter to a certain girl that I had feelings for, it would sound amazing. I also won fifty bucks at a Hooters during Kareoke night for sounding exactly like Justin Timberlake (laugh now but I still made it out with 50 bucks). Anyway, just sing along to CD's or in the car and it'll come.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I would suggest singing lessons if you are serious about singing. Otherwise just go to guitar center and pickup a singing lesson book that has a cd to go a long. Learn to do the scales and warm ups. Then try to sing with your cds after practicing the scales and warm ups for a whille.

The scales/warm ups will help you sing better and give you range over time. I would sugest trying to match the note of the guitar or the chord of the guitar with your voice. Thus if you are playing a simple three chord part of a song you should be able to match those three chords with your voice. You normally would match one chord and vary by a half step or whole step to show emotion while still being in key. Keep in mind that you can match your voice to the guitar or bass guitar or drums and still be in key. Most of the time it is easier to match t he guitar especially if you are playing the guitar. You can start by writing simple songs that play chords and notes that you can match with your voice. A good practice you be also to learn the guitar scales and match your voice to the guitar scales.

The most fun thing I have found is to write my own songs or sing to cds. If you sing to cds play the cd at a low enough volume that you can hear your voice and try to match the vocals to it. Also record your vocals when you sing to the cd so you can replay it and determine if you need to change some thing. Drink lots of water whle singing. Try not to drink milk while singing because it produces extra mucus and makes it harder to sing. Try not to sing raspy too much or you will though your voice out.

This should give you a head start. I would suggest if you want to even go further get a recording program like cakewalk sonar, protools and record your guitar and vocals and make songs. That is really a good way to learn also.

Practice makes perfect.

Getting a PA mixer would be a good idea if you are going to practice singing while playing guitar. You could also put in the cd and play it though you pa and then sing on top of it. Then record it so you have a reference.