Blowing out amps?

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alright, obviously, I have very little knowledge of amplifiers, so this is probably a very easy question. About a week ago I bought a Vox 30W solid state/tube hybrid modeling amp that I absolutely LOVE (now I see what all the backlash over the Marshall MG series was about!). One of the great things about it is that it has a built in attenuator where you can lower the wattage of the amp using a knob. So I usually have that turned down and crank the master to the max so I can work the power tubes at bedroom decibel levels. The question is, is constantly having the master cranked a danger to blowing out the amp, or is it the the actual decibel level (which isn't a problem for me) that is bad for the amp?

I know I'm paranoid, but I really like this thing and I want to take good care of it.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If it's a well built amp, it most likely won't "blow out".

Hopefully a fuse will blow if it's overloaded.
    It WILL however, wear out the power tubes faster because they work harder.
    It's also possible to blow one up if you're CRANKED at high volume and playing hard for a long time. That's when they go up in flames and smoke. Think a few hours of Pete Townshend or Jimmy Page

I've blown a few, though, and it usually comes from the fact that :
    1) They get older and when you travel with them, things become loose
    2) lack of maintenance and biased too hot for the tubes. (Usually for replacement tubes)
    3) Playing hard with both of the above because you will find the weak link in the chain.

I have smoked a few, though! The best amp blowing up I've ever seen wasn't me or Jimmy Page or Pete T, etc.
    Thelouderthebetter used to post here. She's a dear old friend of mine, and was a bass player in a punk band. She was using my Ampeg SVT 300 watt amp that has about a zillion tubes in it at CBGB's one night.
    Haha, there she was cranking that thing and it was loud and smoke started pouring out ot it. Then fire and sparks! There she was wondering why she couldn't hear the amp and looked around and there's fire, and a couple of backstage guys scrambling trying to get to it.
    Ahhh, the look on her face!!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You're probably not going to blow it using it's internal power reduction which possibly only effects the digital preamp or the volume output of the power amp I'm unsure really.

Yeah, if you are running power tubes, running them at high levels shortens thier life even more so if you don't cool them properly (use a fan)

The main deal is to keep that preamp tube running happy so don't restrict airflow.

That should be the only issue ever with that amp for you...just replacing the preamp tube every now and again.... Those are supurb amplifiers. Some of the best cost to features ratio on the market today.

I just checked it out and I think you will be just fine.

Heck, I need to get one too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    not sure if I completely understand. If it's a tube hybrid it's got a tube driven digital modelling preamp and a solid state transistor power amp.

"...and feature a power amp circuit containing a 12AX7 (ECC83) dual triode valve ("vacuum tube") that would normally be used in a preamp. This allows the amp to produce the true sound and feel of a bona fide all valve (tube) amp."

Not really sure what that means. You guys probably understand that a lot better than I do.

But yeah, the amp is fantastic and I hope it never dies. It's got everything, and it'll be great for getting the most out of different guitars that I'll eventually buy. The 'Boutique OD' setting with the gain turned up is the by far my favorite overdriven sound that I ever got out of my humble Epiphone (so far :D). I'm actually curious as to what amp that setting is based on. The Marshall MG50DFX that I'm renting doesn't even deserve to be in the same room as this amp. And considering the 30W Vox is about $160 less than the 50W Marshall, count me in on the "MG's suck" bandwagon.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    If it's a well built amp, it most likely won't "blow out".

Hopefully a fuse will blow if it's overloaded.
    It WILL however, wear out the power tubes faster because they work harder.
    It's also possible to blow one up if you're CRANKED at high volume and playing hard for a long time. That's when they go up in flames and smoke. Think a few hours of Pete Townshend or Jimmy Page

Well, like I said, I do have the master volume cranked to the maximum, but because of the manual power reduction it just plays at normal bedroom volume levels. But I don't play for that long at a time anyway, so I guess I'm safe.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    DOSW wrote:
    "...and feature a power amp circuit containing a 12AX7 (ECC83) dual triode valve ("vacuum tube") that would normally be used in a preamp. This allows the amp to produce the true sound and feel of a bona fide all valve (tube) amp."

Not really sure what that means. You guys probably understand that a lot better than I do.

But yeah, the amp is fantastic and I hope it never dies. It's got everything, and it'll be great for getting the most out of different guitars that I'll eventually buy. The 'Boutique OD' setting with the gain turned up is the by far my favorite overdriven sound that I ever got out of my humble Epiphone (so far :D). I'm actually curious as to what amp that setting is based on. The Marshall MG50DFX that I'm renting doesn't even deserve to be in the same room as this amp. And considering the 30W Vox is about $160 less than the 50W Marshall, count me in on the "MG's suck" bandwagon.

ah, so what they've done is integrate the 12AX7's into the power amp structure. Nice, probably part of the reason it sounds so good.

ok. I do know the people to ask would be the people at London Power because they have developed incredible power reduction circuitry for both SS and tube power amps.

Ultimately though 12AX7's are a nice and robust tube. You may end up wearing them out faster that way but hey replacements are between 8 and 15 bucks on average so don't worry too much. I still think you're fine, just keep a keen ear and treat the amp kindly (no unplugging while the amp is hot) etc.

Now you understand why I can't get behind the MG's. Those Voxes are phenominal.

I think they are cheap simply to try and steal the Line 6 and Marshall market.

Ultimately that's the area where there's the most competition and Vox has come up with a really really great series. The value for the dollar in the Marshall MG's dosen't even come close and the closed back makes a tremendous difference in the sound (tighter and more focused). Not to mention the inventive power circuitry which helps warm them up. It's the best stuff to come out since Line 6 built the pod and flextone stuff and it's cheaper.

They really, really sound great and don't hit your wallet up too bad. I don't know about longevity yet, but perhaps you will keep us up to speed.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.