Seagull acoustics?

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Does anyone have any experience with these? They're made by Godin and seem to be the next step up from A&L guitars (although much easier to find). Reviews are glowing... I could definitely get into the darker sound of a cedar top because the spruce top that I have is too thin and bright for my taste. Most of that is probably due to the guitar itself as opposed to the wood, though. I have a cheap Yamaha with a solid top, but the thing just feels unplayable for me, especially compared to my electric (of course).

Anyway, I seriously feel like selling my Yamaha and upgrading a bit. I don't want to rush into it though... it's not like I need it by Christmas or anything. Also, I probably won't be able to play any of them before I buy one, because they're not all that common. I guess if I don't like it I could always send it back.

Any thoughts?
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    My roommate has one and he loves it. I'm not sure what model he has, but it sounds damn good. Its got a flatter fret board (greater radius) than I'm used to, but its still plays easy.
  • i heard guitar center is carrying them now, so if there's one close you could go try em out. yeah, they have a really wide nut width.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Hmm... my hands aren't that big so the big necks could be a problem. I know they have variants with thinner necks, but maybe I should just go with a solid cedar A&L instead. I'm looking for a guitar that has enough quality that I will still love the sound years down the road, though... tough choice here. Especially on a limited budget.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • DOSW wrote:
    Hmm... my hands aren't that big so the big necks could be a problem. I know they have variants with thinner necks, but maybe I should just go with a solid cedar A&L instead. I'm looking for a guitar that has enough quality that I will still love the sound years down the road, though... tough choice here. Especially on a limited budget.

I had one and it sounded great, but I didn't bond with the neck. They are well built guitars, too.
    The neck was too fat for my hands and the flat fretboard wasn't comfortable for me. I was actually going to sand down the neck a bit, but my friend bought it instead.
    The A&L seem to have slimmer necks, but they'll vary too.

I would suggest trying to get to a dealer and playing a lot of them, if you can, because you can have three of the same type and they all sound different, too.
    It's becoming more like this with most manufacturers because slowly the huge trees are getting used up, so with newer growth trees, wood quality is more inconsistant. Not necessarily better or worse, just different, so it's a good idea to really listen to the guitar if you can.
    Another thing is to have someone else play it and YOU listen from the front of the guitar. You'll get an idea what it really sounds like that way.

I don't know who the closest dealer is to you in Reading. There's a dealer here in Wilmington Delaware that has them, Accent Music. They are right at the PA/ Delaware border on Route 202 if you get down this way at all.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

very dark guitar, and i'm not a good acoustic player, so i've always fought with it. records very well IMO, tho and that has saved it from the trash heap a couple of times.

the neck on mine is huge, and the action sucks right now, so playing it is something i really have to practice at. There was a period where i was playing an hour on it everday, and i was writing lots of songs. Right now, i'm just picking it up after not using it for practically two years. A friend wants to play acoustic shows, him more singer/acoustic, me more guitar/singer, and i'm really having a hell of a time getting up to speed on this instrument.

All that being said, i'll stick by my original '14 year-old buying his first acoustic' opinion.
    Shopowner hands me an Epi, an Ibanez, and a Seagull. Quality and tone, Seagull hands down.

if i were that kid today, i would also check the Epi Masterbuilt.

time for me to shell out for that Martin d-41!!!