I want a Gibson so bad it almost hurts

DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/5/9/5/270595.jpg

Someday, baby. Someday.

Seriously though. I don't know how I'm ever going to get one within the next 5-7 years. My freshman year at college starts in the fall and that will pretty much sap all of my earnings for four years. Then I'll be poor for a little bit until I get a nice job and start building my funds, which will be another couple years probably.

But maybe if I can get really amazing grades, get some scholarships, and work real hard in the summers, I'll have enough. Who knows?

So yeah. I don't know why I share this with you guys but I guess it's because you'll probably understand.
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What are you playing on, now?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I sympathise very strongly. Of course, the affordability for this guitar has never been better, and you will get one in time. Just don't wish your life away in the rush to get there.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ya, it's my next toy.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    well, I started playing when I was 17 and I'm now 30, and I just got my first Gibson Les Paul about 7 months ago. I hope it won't be my last, as it blows my Strat away as far as I'm concerned. I've quit smoking...that's $3.30 per day x 365 days a year = $1204.50. that should put me in range of an SG and if I can save a little more, that'll put me in range for a Firebird or another Les Paul. when the first Nintendos came out in the late 80s, they were $100 and my parents wouldn't buy me one. lunch was $1.50 a day. so I quit eating and saved the lunch money until I had enough for a Nintendo. see, if you want something bad enough, you'll find a way to get it. it just takes patience young grasshoppa.

edit: one other thing... it IS nice when the headstock says "Gibson" on it, but you don't actually notice it when you're playing it. you CAN get a quality guitar for less than a Gibson price and then get a Gibson later on when you're out of school.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I live in Kalamazoo which means that I got the Kalamazoo Promise(all college and tuition paid for in full). I used the money I got to buy some guitars which probably wasn't the BEST idea since I switched majors from engineering to become a teacher...so I'll be in longer...which means I need to pay for ollege after four years. Anyway, I got an acoustic and an Epi SG. pretty nice investment. I feel ya though...I am lookin for a Gibson Les Paul Mahogony...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I can't wait to get my Custom Shop 57 Goldtop in a few weeks. If only I can get away from wedding planning with my fiance long enough and drag her to some local shops to see what they have. I'm aching to collect on my engagement gift!
    I made an offer on this..
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=270140257382&rd=1&rd=1

yesterday, but he knocked it back. I'm gonna wait it out now.

HOw many LP's have you played ?? You might want one worse than you think actually !
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Don't know how true this is, but I heard that when Les Paul finally dies every LP sold before his death is gonna skyrocket in price.
    Nice for those of us that have one now, but not so nice for someone wanting a slightly older one.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Don't know how true this is, but I heard that when Les Paul finally dies every LP sold before his death is gonna skyrocket in price.
    Nice for those of us that have one now, but not so nice for someone wanting a slightly older one.

That's a good one, I haven't heard that. It's an awful lot of LP's thre, I'd be surprised if that happens. The rumour is that if Gibson dones not put Braz on teh 50th Anniversary model, tehn the 2003 Braz boards are gonna skyrocket. Of course, that rumour is being spoken by the guy selling that one I'm looking at.

Production numbers have never been higher, I think they are only getting more affordable, not less. Premium stuff will always keep value better, but I also think that we are in teh age of nostalgia now, and as today's kids age, they will be more interested in stuff from their youth, and some of the older stuff will lose value too.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    That LP rumour sounds a bit flimsy...
    It not like the guitars are suddenly gonna decrease in quality when LP dies, and LP doesn't exactly christen every LP guitar made so I don't see why that would play a major role in the pricing. Especially as there are so many around that vastly vary in quality.

The '59 and '60 LPs will always skyrocket but in 50 years I doubt the present guitars will be as desirable, not as much care is put into each guitar and gibson aren't known for their quality these days...

I'd love a Gibson, but they're even more expensive in the UK and quite frankly for £1-2k there are much better quality guitars out there. I'd rather get a decent fender for £600-700 than a bottom of the line Gibson, and if I was gonna pay £2k for a guitar I'd rather go the full hog and get a small luthier to make a custom guitar. Really tempted to go over to America and bring a Gibbo back but then I'll probably be raped with all the taxes.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    ianvomsaal wrote:

Glad I recently got mine then!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/Drew263/C.jpg
    I'm terrible, because I just got a US Strat, and now I want the Les Paul! I swear it'll be the last one...

I have one guitar before Uni, and I have 2 years to decide.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'll be putting my 87 LP up for sale soon more than likely. It's not close to mint, and it's dot inlay on ebony with a wine red finish, but it's also going for less than 1K too and it's a hell of a nice player.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    What are you playing on, now?

I'm playing on an Epiphone LP Ultra. As far as Epiphone LP's go, you really can't get much better, and I do like it... but it's just not the same as playing an all-solid Gibson juggernaut.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    There will always be Les Paul guitars, but there's only one Les Paul.

I would save some money and go see him play at the Iridium in NYC.
    91 years old and still gigging two shows every Monday night!
    I think we're going up to see him next week. Just seeing him walk out on the stage is totally amazing, let alone hearing that piece of music history play,,,, let alone talking to him after the show.

http://iridiumjazzclub.com/les.shtml
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I would save some money and go see him play at the Iridium in NYC.
    91 years old and still gigging two shows every Monday night!
    I think we're going up to see him next week. Just seeing him walk out on the stage is totally amazing, let alone hearing that piece of music history play,,,, let alone talking to him after the show.

http://iridiumjazzclub.com/les.shtml

I saw him a year and a half ago and it was amazing! Well worth it!
    Has anyone seen the new Les Paul Classic Antique? It looks pretty good.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Has anyone seen the new Les Paul Classic Antique? It looks pretty good.

Maybe its just me, but I don't like the look of an LP without some sort of pickguard.
    moster78 wrote:
    Maybe its just me, but I don't like the look of an LP without some sort of pickguard.
    Ya, makes sense. I'm sorta entertaining the possibility of one more big gear purchase. An LP is on the list.
  • EvilTBEvilTB Posts: 10
    DOSW wrote:
    I'm playing on an Epiphone LP Ultra. As far as Epiphone LP's go, you really can't get much better, and I do like it... but it's just not the same as playing an all-solid Gibson juggernaut.

It would seem to me like you have plenty of options for upgrading, or at least getting closer to the actual guitar you want. You could probably trade it in for a similar priced but "more solid" korean-made Epiphone model. This probably would not be much of a technical improvement but I think it is at least closer in specifications to the actual Les Paul that you want.

For a few hundred bucks and a trade-in you should be able to upgrade to a Japanese-made Epiphone "Elitist" or a lower end Gibson Les Paul. (i.e. Studio, Menace, BFG etc...) I heard that the Elitist series are comparable to Gibson USA instruments, the quality of the materials is marginally lower but the fit and finish is marginally better. A used Epiphone Elitist seems to cost slightly more than a a new high-end standard Epiphone.