Guitar newb (day2)

grandr0yalgrandr0yal Posts: 67
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, ya i decided to start playing electric guitar. I cant afford lessons at this moment so i have to self teach. I have a book thats pretty extensive and current and i read a lot online. One things thats mad confusing is how there are so many variations of tabs and the symbols in them. Ive ran across 3 different ways they are written.

But, anyway. Advide.. Ive read giventowail and that was really helpful. What should i practice first? Learning power cords? Should i just go into practicing easy PJ songs? Im a pretty fast learner... then only thing stopping me is the development of these caluses on my fingers. My index bled last night. Any advice on where to start? This is my second day playing so you could imagine how horrible i am ;).
06/23/2006 - Best night of my life.
See yins in pittsburgh 2007
Rock on steelers!

www.myspace.com/nickpc
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Well, the first song I learned on guitar was Petty's Free Fallin'. That's a little too easy, so I wouldn't recommend it. The second song I learned was Stairway to Heaven, and I also wouldn't recommend that, lol. I would have to say practice Off He Goes or Not For You. And Good luck.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Learn every song you can. Why not, theres no such thing as to easy. Besides, girls like Free Fallin'!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • gobrowns19 wrote:
    Well, the first song I learned on guitar was Petty's Free Fallin'. That's a little too easy, so I wouldn't recommend it. The second song I learned was Stairway to Heaven, and I also wouldn't recommend that, lol. I would have to say practice Off He Goes or Not For You. And Good luck.

I've never tried to play Free Fallin'.....yet everytime I have a guitar somewhere someone asks me "can you play Free Fallin'"?
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Every time I go into a guitar shop, I'm expected to play Stairway to Heaven and Sunshine of Your Love, the former of which I never learned to play.

Good luck with your endeavors. Stick with it is the best advice I can give. Learn your basic open chords (A, D, E, G, C) and you can learn lots of songs with that. Try out Closing Time by Semisonic, pretty easy to learn that, I think it's G-D-Am-C? A minor is the same thing as A, but you move down a half-step on the B string.

Yeah, learn your standard tuning (EADGBE) first and the names of all the strings. If you work out what notes are where, you'll make it really easy on yourself.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I've never tried to play Free Fallin'.....yet everytime I have a guitar somewhere someone asks me "can you play Free Fallin'"?

Ok I just learned it :)

Capo 3rd:

D - Dsus - Dsus - D - Asus

:D

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Ok I just learned it :)

Capo 3rd:

D - Dsus - Dsus - D - Asus

:D

Nice, I'll have to add that to my setlist!
  • moster78 wrote:
    Nice, I'll have to add that to my setlist!

Ya, it sounds good to me and it's a sing along for sure :)

.NJD.