eds 96' tele

jgregerjgreger Posts: 6
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
anyoe know where i can pick up a guitar similiar to ed's 96 schecter tele?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    id try internet auction sites if i were you. welcome to the board by the way
    myspace.com/airstriponeuk
  • It's an original Schecter from the 80's, you can find them on ebay every once in a while
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • It's an original Schecter from the 80's, you can find them on ebay every once in a while

not the goldtop he's playing in svt.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.
  • not the goldtop he's playing in svt.

He didn't say that he was looking for the goldtop
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • He didn't say that he was looking for the goldtop

Well I’m looking for basically that body style. I know I can get a Fender Tele but they don’t look exactly the same. There is a metal piece below the strings which looks odd IMO. Pardon me but I’m not experienced with guitars and amps and the related terminology. Also what are your opinions between Fender and Schecter, between strats and tele’s. I’m sure it mostly personal preference right? The reason why I ask is because I am taking guitar lessons soon and want to buy a guitar of reasonable quality and at a good price.
  • Schecter still makes a model similar to ed's. I got mine about 2 years ago. Its called a Schecter PT Tele. (Pete Townsend). It looks very similar but its a bit cheaper. I love it. I think it sounds cooler than it looks. Check their website.
    I wish Ed still played that guitar, both of his were killer.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Ya, Shecter PT, you can get them easily. There not like Ed's though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Ed's black one was given to him by Pete Townshend (PT), was custom made by Roger Giffin and is from the eighties, when Schecter was still just a parts company. The goldtop was a later model, presumably ordered from the Schecter Custom Shop by Ed. Schecter are no longer permitted to use the headstock shape you see on Ed's guitars, as it's a Fender registered trademark.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    gre2974 wrote:
    Well I’m looking for basically that body style. I know I can get a Fender Tele but they don’t look exactly the same. There is a metal piece below the strings which looks odd IMO. Pardon me but I’m not experienced with guitars and amps and the related terminology. Also what are your opinions between Fender and Schecter, between strats and tele’s. I’m sure it mostly personal preference right? The reason why I ask is because I am taking guitar lessons soon and want to buy a guitar of reasonable quality and at a good price.

Schecter is a custom shop they used to be a parts company, it's where some other custom builders like Tom Anderson (who designed the original pickups in that guitar) got their start. Ed's guitar has Seymour Duncan pickups, (a fairly common modification)

I LOVE Fender. I am a tremendous fan, but you want a Schecter and they offer very nice guitars and an excellent bang for the buck.

Internet Auctions and garage sales are your best bet to find one exactly like Eds, unless you use the Schecter custom shop, which will cost you plenty.

Schecter does offer a diamond series PT which is similar and they even have a version with seymour duncans already added, I've played it and it's excellent. That's a good way to go. An original might run you 800 bucks or so generally the super rock pickups are still in there, a used PT Diamond Series black jack will be substantially cheaper at maybe 400 or less. If you have to have that headstock, you can always get warmoth who are officially licensed by Fender to build you one and have a luthier put it on, but that's down the road I'm sure.

Schecter Diamond Series are made in Korea and they are of very good quality and the price is very nice. Now all you need is a Dave Reeves Hiwatt Stack. :D

DR504 - good luck with that.

after you find some prices and recover from the shock, come back. We'll find you a 50 watt Sovtek and a decent 4x12 cabinet and get you close.

Cheers, P
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Thanks for all you help you have been very informative.
  • those things sound amazing, at least ed's did on the 2000 tour. i remember the fingerpicked intro to "betterman" sounding particularly good. the pt's sound had the perfect combination of meaty thickitude and an almost glassy top end "shhhlang" sound. humbuckers in a fender-scale guitar usually sound pretty neat.

pac, do you know if the korean models have the coil tap?
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • biffhardon wrote:
    Ed's black one was given to him by Pete Townshend (PT), was custom made by Roger Giffin and is from the eighties, when Schecter was still just a parts company. The goldtop was a later model, presumably ordered from the Schecter Custom Shop by Ed. Schecter are no longer permitted to use the headstock shape you see on Ed's guitars, as it's a Fender registered trademark.

it looks custom because of that dead black color it is and am i wrong or is it a black fret board? i didnt think fender made one
    4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/8/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06, 5/12/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10