The new kind of rock

lestat080lestat080 Posts: 12
edited September 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Wouldnt it be fun to reintroduce old instruments like flutes, accordeons and harps in hardrock. To give it a new kind of sound?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• And kazoos, and steel drums. And don't forget the nose-trimmers. You can get a really rocking groove out of those. Oh, and toilet flushes, if you're going for a really shitty authenticity. ;)
  • Y'all should check out a german metal band named In Extremo... a lot of their songs are adaptations of really old european folk songs, some of them from the middle ages, or are done in the style of them.....they really run the gamut from acoustic stuff to oldmetallica-with-bagpipes stuff. One hell of a band...... drummer, singer, bass, guitarist, and three (3) bagpipers.... and they all rotate between electrical instruments and stuff like nyckelharps, flutes, uillean pipes, bagpipes, harps, mandolins, shawms, lambeg drums, you name it. Pick up either Sieben ('Seven') or Verehrt und Angespien..... or if you have to obtain one song, try Kuss Mich or Spielmannsfluch.

This is one of them playing a device called a nyckelharp.... a very old scandianvian folk instrument, sort of like a hurdy-gurdy.

flex_009.jpg
  • as is stratovaiors... harpischord anyone?; rhapsody, well, any norweigen power metal band. Very medieval
    waiting for the great leap forward

12 people may make the one decision but that doesn't make it right.

Free Rob Farquharson, wrongfully imprisoned!!

www.factbeforetheory.net
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think a flute or piccolo would actually be really cool in some rock music, if it was done right.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Jazz flute.
  • DOSW wrote:
    I think a flute or piccolo would actually be really cool in some rock music, if it was done right.

Like Jethro Tull?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lets not forget many many many modern albums use lots of instruments, its just not really heard through the main 4. If you are a hardcore listener, you can pick up alot more than you think.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    QOTSA uses a lot of interesting instruments on their albums. :)
  • A Saxaboom is always good, just ask Tenacious D.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • There's also Morphine.....
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    moster78 wrote:
    Jazz flute.

Jazz flute is for sissy little boys! ;)
    Happiness is only real when shared