Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory is GOOD

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
well, I got a Metal Muff, which I liked A LOT. then on a whim, I ordered a Pro Co Rat2 off musiciansfriend to see how it stacked up against the Metal Muff. it didn't. after 2 weeks, I couldn't make myself like it, so I decided to return it. I saw the DF-7 and decided I would trade the Rat for that. I have heard bad things about Digitech, but I said what the hell.

the DF-7 has 7 distortion models:

1. TS-9
2. DOD 250
3. Boss DS-1
4. Pro Co Rat
5. Boss MT-2
6. Digitech Metal Master
7. Big Muff Pi

now the main reason I got this was for #5, and I like it A LOT. I won't go so far as to say that it is better than the Metal Muff, but it is really good. it does Metallica well.

for the TS-9 (I have a TS-9), if you put it's settings and the TS-9 settings at the same at play them after each other, they sound EXACTLY the same. there is NO difference. I'm telling you, this sounds exactly like my Ibanez. so that alone makes this pedal worth the $99.

the Pro Co model actually sounds BETTER than the real Pro Co to me. my problem with the Rat2 was that it sounded too bassy no matter where you put this settings, this one doesn't. I still don't like it better than #5 or better than the Metal Muff, but I DO like it better than the actual Rat2.

#6 Metal Master sounds like crap and I can't imagine ever using it for anything.

#7 sounds like all the clips I've ever heard of Big Muffs, though I've never actually played one. it's not a sound that I'm crazy about, but it DOES kind of get the Nirvana/Dinosaur Jr sound that it's known for.

#2 DOD 250 is pretty decent. one of the knocks I've heard against Digitech is that it sounds digital. to me, this is the only one of the models that DOES sound digital. I still like it ok, but not as much as the TS-9 or the DS-1.

#3 DS-1 sounds pretty much like the real Boss as far as I can remember. it's a good distortion, though I like the TS-9 a little better.

so what I'm saying is this: if you're going to spend $99 on a TS-9, you might as well get this because I can't tell it and the real thing apart playing them side by side. and you get all the other models. I bought it for #5 like I said, and I like that one a lot. a couple of the others are good too. so I think it's a good deal. it doesn't sound digital to me, except for the DOD one.

it's got high, mid, low, mid frequency (I'm not sure exactly what this is, but it DOES to something as you turn it up). it's also got gain and level (of course). good deal, imo.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Awesome! I just don't like twiddling, I prefer having seperate pedals, but I'm sure that logically, that would be the better choice!

Congrats on the purchase.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    But you can't MOD the Digitech DF-7, whereas you can go in and MOD the Ibanez TS-9 to sound even better (like the Keeley MOD).
    I'd suggest doing the MOD yourself - sounds way better than the original (+ doing the MOD yourself is cheaper, less than $5 in parts).
    Personally, I feel one of the only Digitech pedals worth anything at all is the "Bad Monkey" (it's actually quite decent for $50).
    And this is coming from a guy that hates Digitech Pedals (I've always thought of Digitech Pedals as kids and beginners pedals).
    I've never owned a digitech pedal, and I swore I never would (so many have reliability issues that you just don't have with Boss),
    but the Bad Monkey is one Digitech pedal that I've thought about eventually purchasing (not like I don't have enough pedals already).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    But you can't MOD the Digitech DF-7, whereas you can go in and MOD the Ibanez TS-9 to sound even better (like the Keeley MOD).

that's true, but with the mod, a $99 pedal becomes a $180 pedal. and if I was going to put $180 in a distortion pedal, it wouldn't be an Ibanez OR a Digitech.
  • I have two Digitech X-Series Pedals(The Hyper Phase and Digital Delay) and they're amazing. I've yet to hear a bad review (other than the mod pedals sucking tone and/or volume)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • the distortion factory pedal was the first effects pedal i actually got for my guitar. good all-around pedal.
    im awesome