any idea what could be wrong with Tubescreamer?

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I figure it's doubtfull, but I know some of you are good with electronics and what-not.

I bought a TS9DX approximately 1 year ago. it is not gigged or anything, just in home playing, and not even heavily played at that. now, for some unknown reason, it's just stopped working. the light doesn't come on or anything.

I checked, and though it was plugged up with a 1-spot adapter, it had a battery in it as well. I put a new battery in it, did not work. I tried it at every position in the 1-spot and it didn't work. I tried the Ibanez ac adapter that came with it, didn't worked. I unhooked it from the rest of the pedals, didn't work.

I unplug my pedalboard when I'm not playing, so it wasn't hit by lightning. every other pedal is working fine. I unscrewed the bottom plate, but I might as well have been looking for the holy grail cause I don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

if nobody knows what could be wrong with it, think Robert Keeley would know how to fix it if I sent it to him to be modded?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The thing I would look at first is the input jack, which is the default on-off switch for the pedal. Plug a cable into the input and wiggle it around a little, make sure it's not loose. If you look inside, see if there's anything obvious that's wrong with that jack. This may not fix it, but that's where I would start.

If Keeley couldn't fix whatever is wrong with it, then I don't know who could. He practically builds them from scratch.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Ibanez foot switches sometimes mess up. Ok, a lot of times mess up!
    Check the little foam rubber damper under the pedal where it contacts the switch. (there's a spring there, too) If the foam is worn out, then the switch won't turn on. A little foam rubber, and you're in business again!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Check the little foam rubber damper under the pedal where it contacts the switch. (there's a spring there, too) If the foam is worn out, then the switch won't turn on. A little foam rubber, and you're in business again!

you're awesome. not only did that work, but it made switching the pedal on and off A LOT easier. before, I had to press down hard. now, I only have to tap it. and it WORKS! good job. it was the little spring that connects to the footswitch part. I saw it had a little piece of foam in it, so I torn off another little piece of foam and stuffed down in the spring, and it seems that was indeed that problem. thanks a lot.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I figure it's doubtfull, but I know some of you are good with electronics and what-not.

I bought a TS9DX approximately 1 year ago. it is not gigged or anything, just in home playing, and not even heavily played at that. now, for some unknown reason, it's just stopped working. the light doesn't come on or anything.

I checked, and though it was plugged up with a 1-spot adapter, it had a battery in it as well. I put a new battery in it, did not work. I tried it at every position in the 1-spot and it didn't work. I tried the Ibanez ac adapter that came with it, didn't worked. I unhooked it from the rest of the pedals, didn't work.

I unplug my pedalboard when I'm not playing, so it wasn't hit by lightning. every other pedal is working fine. I unscrewed the bottom plate, but I might as well have been looking for the holy grail cause I don't know what the hell I'm looking at.

if nobody knows what could be wrong with it, think Robert Keeley would know how to fix it if I sent it to him to be modded?

dude i've been using my ts9dx in a home environment for a little over a year too and i sometimes experience the same problems!! it sometimes takes like 4 or 5 good foot taps before it turns on or off. frustrating .. however, i don't really need it anymore anyway, and plan on selling it because with batteries in it it always seems to work fine. weird.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    dude i've been using my ts9dx in a home environment for a little over a year too and i sometimes experience the same problems!! it sometimes takes like 4 or 5 good foot taps before it turns on or off. frustrating .. however, i don't really need it anymore anyway, and plan on selling it because with batteries in it it always seems to work fine. weird.

yeah, I had to press hard. but that wasn't the problem this last time, it just flat out wouldn't come on. you should try stuffing a little piece of foam in the spring like I described in the post above yours and see if that helps.
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    The only tubescreamer I've ever owned/played is the TS9DX. Is it true that its essentially a TS-808 with 3 other options?
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Dogman3 wrote:
    The only tubescreamer I've ever owned/played is the TS9DX. Is it true that its essentially a TS-808 with 3 other options?

I don't know, but imo, the other 3 options suck anyway. I only use the TS9 one.