good replacement tuners for an SG?

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm getting an SG and have heard bad things about the stock tuners that Gibson uses. so what is a good replacement that would not require additional holes? I would go with my trusted Grovers but it appears that they are not made in gold finish and the SG I'm getting has gold hardware, so...

I've looked at Schaller (don't want if they're made by Fender), Sperzel, and Gotoh. any recommendations? need to be available in gold and need to require no additional drilling. thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I'm getting an SG and have heard bad things about the stock tuners that Gibson uses. so what is a good replacement that would not require additional holes? I would go with my trusted Grovers but it appears that they are not made in gold finish and the SG I'm getting has gold hardware, so...
    Says who (on both accounts)????
    All of my original "stock" Gibson tuners work fine.
    I have both kinds (Kluson or Grover) on my Gibsons.
    These tuners came "stock" in both chrome and gold (I have several Gibson's).
    Here's your GOLD GROVERS:
    click: Grover Midsize Locking Tuning Machines (GOLD)
    click: Grover Full-size Locking Tuning Machines (GOLD)

Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    It depends on if you like them or not and the size of the original posts really.

I have schallers in my Les Paul and they work fine.

I looked at the Planet Waves, though virtually any locking machines you put on the guitar will change the weight in the head stock so that's something to think about, though personally... I like it. The rotomatics have the same mechanism as my GOTOH's and the weight is really not that much heavier than the stock tuners.

No gold Grovers really?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html

I'd probably go with what Ian suggested. Those are nice and they should fit.

My friend has an SG with the klusons I've always hated them, for whatever reason his guitar always goes sharp but I just generally have a profound distaste for klusons though it's not like they are as bad as I always portray them. I just think for 3Grand I could get something other than plastic on the key and really there are better tuners available, to hell with history give me the best.

The machines with the set screw on the bottom are a little faster to tune up than the ones with the top lock like those grovers but the top locks look far more traditional.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/1/Planet_Waves_Auto-Trim_Locking_Guitar_Machines/Instructions/I-5280.html#details
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I have Grovers on my SG and dig em.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I have Grovers on my Les Paul as well and like them and like them as well. MF.com does not have the gold ones, so I guess I will have to look elsewhere. I will give the stock Klusons a try, but I've not heard a lot of good things about them.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Says who (on both accounts)????
    All of my original "stock" Gibson tuners work fine.
    I have both kinds (Kluson or Grover) on my Gibsons.
    These tuners came "stock" in both chrome and gold (I have several Gibson's).
    Here's your GOLD GROVERS:
    click: Grover Midsize Locking Tuning Machines (GOLD)
    click: Grover Full-size Locking Tuning Machines (GOLD)

Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ADDITION
    There's even these Grovers in GOLD: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBAMHM
    Or these here: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-AMH025-GLD.html
    Or even better: Allparts 3+3 tuners

- Ian
  • Part of the art of using any tuner is how you string it up. I've had a 68 SG since , well, maybe 68, and have the same tuners on there and they work fine, and I bend like anything when I play.
    Keep the string wrapped tight while you're putting them on, and also make sure the nut is cut right, too. A lot of tuning problems are right at the nut. Make sure the slots are the right size for the strings and smooth.

I say try it first and get to know your SG and maybe you won't need anything! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Keep the string wrapped tight while you're putting them on, and also make sure the nut is cut right, too. A lot of tuning problems are right at the nut. Make sure the slots are the right size for the strings and smooth.

I say try it first and get to know your SG and maybe you won't need anything! :)

yeah, I string my Les Paul the way Gibson recommends.....the first wind under the string, all other winds over the string. and it works good with the Grovers. I guess I'll know with the Klusons in a day or two.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    yeah, I string my Les Paul the way Gibson recommends.....the first wind under the string, all other winds over the string. and it works good with the Grovers. I guess I'll know with the Klusons in a day or two.
    I do it opposite because I like more angle/string-pull.
    I pre-cut the string about 3" past the post.
    Then I insert it through the post-hole so it sticks out the other side about 1/8".
    Then I wind over that tail once, and the rest under (sandwiching the small tail).
    It locks it in place, gives me more string angle/pull, and looks fairly neat.
    Plus I use to do tech work for other bands, and this is just how we did it.

- Ian