need amp recommendations

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm looking for a small budget amp. definitely needs to be less than $300. It is only for playing at home, not with a band or anything. I was considering a Line 6 Spider II, then saw on the comments for that amp that some people were saying a small Vox is better. what are some good amps in this range?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I'd look for a used Fender Champ or Blues Junior.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    sennin wrote:

New, a Blues Junior will put you over the $300 range, but I'm sure they can found on eBay for cheaper. Great amp. Love mine.
  • http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Pro-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480861

To me its the best sounding of the small fender tube amps.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • sennin wrote:
    +1
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    also check out the new Epiphone Valve Jr. amps. KILLER tone but it's not quite as loud as a blues jr. They're only like $140 or something for the combo too.
  • ezyrydr wrote:
    also check out the new Epiphone Valve Jr. amps. KILLER tone but it's not quite as loud as a blues jr. They're only like $140 or something for the combo too.

That 5 watt head is cool, especially if you like power tube distortion.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    I'm looking for a small budget amp. definitely needs to be less than $300. It is only for playing at home, not with a band or anything. I was considering a Line 6 Spider II, then saw on the comments for that amp that some people were saying a small Vox is better. what are some good amps in this range?

I'd say if you're looking for a modeling amp, definitely go with the Vox Valvetronix rather than a Line 6. I'm pretty happy with the 30 watt I got. Cost about $240.
    Statistically speaking, you're more likely to be pitied by Mr. T than you are to have feet.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I'd say if you're looking for a modeling amp, definitely go with the Vox Valvetronix rather than a Line 6. I'm pretty happy with the 30 watt I got. Cost about $240.

Those are nice, my friend was looking to get one of those until he found an ancient tube amp at his parents house. They're nice amps, tons of built in effects.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    ezyrydr wrote:

I might check these out some more. The standard and junior combos seem pretty intruiging... the lack of EQ controls on the junior is kind of discouraging, though.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    i have the blues jr. and the line 6 spyder II. i play the blues jr. almost exclusively, but i still like the line 6. for a solid state amp it has a lot of texture, but tube amps are just have better tone. as for the vox, my friend has one and i have played it a lot. its great. i was really impressed with the sound you can get out of such a small solid state. not a lot of eq controls on the blues jr, or the vox. i would recommend buying the blues jr. and a good distortion pedal unless you are going to play clean exclusively. if thats not possible go with the vox and save up for a good tube amp down the road.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    what is your desire? what kind of sound to you hope to recreate with this amp?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.