major and minor pentatonic scales and relatives

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
if you want to solo on a song that is in a major key, do you play the minor pentatonic of the major key's relative minor? if so, can you also switch in the middle of the solo back to the major key's major pentatonic scale (I think this should be yes because the major key scale and the minor key scale of the relative minor should have the same notes, right?)

for example, if the song is in the key of A, would I be able to make a suitable solo from the minor pentatonic scale in the key of F# and then switch back to the major pentonic in the key of A in the middle of the solo but still have it sound right?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    well since you aren't technically switching scales, you aren't doing anything here, so it'll sound the same
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 149
    im glad i never bothered to learn theory. i hate it. Grip it and rip it. dig it.
  • J.D.J.D. Posts: 73
    Right, you're confusing key with position. Your describing a song in a major key, so is the solo. That doesn't change with the position of the scale your thinking about.

Just because you've changed the position of the scale, doesn't mean you've changed the key, major to minor.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    im glad i never bothered to learn theory. i hate it. Grip it and rip it. dig it.

that's not really indepth theory, that's knowing what scale to base a solo off of, which is pretty elementary.
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 149
    MLC2006 wrote:
    that's not really indepth theory, that's knowing what scale to base a solo off of, which is pretty elementary.

right, thats the easy part. and playing it is the easy part. Just teaching others theory is damn near impossible.