what would you guess this guitar is worth??

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110047394240&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2Fsearch%2FSaleSearch%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26satitle%3D110047394240%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC5%26fbd%3D1%26sspagename%3Dh%253Ah%253Aadvsearch%253AUS%26from%3DR6%26nojspr%3Dy%26pfid%3D0%26fswc%3D1%26few%3D%26saprclo%3D%26saprchi%3D%26fss%3D0%26saslop%3D1%26sasl%3D%26fls%3D4%2526floc%253D1%26sargn%3D-1%2526saslc%253D0%26salic%3D1%26saatc%3D1%26sadis%3D200%26fpos%3D29526%26fsct%3D%26sacur%3D0%26sacqyop%3Dge%26sacqy%3D%26ftrt%3D1%26ftrv%3D1%26sabdlo%3D%26sabdhi%3D%26saaff%3Dafdefault%26afcj%3D%26afmp%3D%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26fcl%3D3%26frpp%3D50%26fvi%3D1

I say no way it's worth $1025 because the era it was made was not Gibson's highest quality, it doesn't have a case, and the physical condition looks like it's beat have to death. I think the buyer didn't come through and it's been offered as a second chance offer. my high offer was $370 and I really don't think it would be worth much more than that. thoughts?

when I was outbid, I decided that I would save up and get a Gibson Les Paul Studio ($1000). would I be better to get that, or try to get this one for less than $500?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    It looked like it had been well played. Not quite abused, but there's a point where it will probably not sound as good. I wouldn't pay $1000 for it, even if I did have the money for it.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Well, the current Blue Book value of an '81 Sunburst Standard in EXCELLENT condition comes in around 90% or 9 out of 10 (just under mint, and NOT what this guitar is). Excellent means light exterior finish wear with a few minor dings, no paint chips down to the wood, normal nicks and scratches, light observable neck wear in most cases.
    Current BlueBook pricing for an '81 Sunburst Standard in EX:
    $1,500 on the low end in EXCELLENT condition.
    $1,800 on the high end in EXCELLENT condition.

I see this guitar has a neck valute, which was supposed to be discontinued in '81 (a little suspicious about the date - maybe it slipped through the cracks at Gibson), but if I were you I'd check the serial number again to make sure it's the actual date.

Anyhow, here are a couple other BlueBook prices that may be more appropriate for the condition of this guitar:
    $1,100 in VERY GOOD condition (70%, 7 out of 10).
    $950 in GOOD condition (60%, 6 out of 10).

Just so you understand "GOOD condition" . . .
    GOOD condition comes in around 60% (6 out of 10), and is considered AVERAGE, meaning: noticeable wear on most areas - normally this consists of some major or minor belt cracking, possible repairs or alterations. When this condition factor is encountered, normally an instrument should have all logos intact original pickups, minor headstock damage, and perhaps a few non-serious alterations, with or without original case.

To me, this guitar looks to be more along the lines of a 5 or 5.5 out of 10 (LOW GOOD condition), it's not bad, it's just very well worn - thus it should sell slightly under good condition - probably around $900 - give or take a few $$. The neck looks really really worn (discounting it a bit more), but if you can clean the guitar up, polish it, ect, it looks like you'd have a decent guitar. Hope this helps.
    - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The early 80s Gibsons were actually not bad at all. In fact, when you have some extra time, Google a Gibson Heritage 80 sometime. They responded in a big way to the quality complaints that were fairly rampant even back then about the 70's LP's. Not to say that there' weren't some great ones in the 70's...just that by and large their rep went to shit and with good reason.

I wouldn't bequick to discount that Gibson as crap...though I would have to do something about that bridge...ugggh.
  • yeah, i second enharmonic ...... the bridge has got to go

other then that, i'm a fan of guitars that have taken a beating.
    the problem with this auction is else the seller has no idea of the guitar's condition, or they are flat out lying about it when they say it needs some "TLC".

i wouldn't drop more then 600 on it myself. i would take it over a studio, just my own tastes, but i'm sure worried about the neck condition, and as i said, money spent on setup and new bridge.

other then that, i like it! if you get it for your bid, congrats, well worth that.
  • I think that went a little high, but sometimes those are great sounding and playing pieces. I would never pay that much for something on ebay, though. You can only tell if it's a "diamond in the rough" by playing it and hearing what it has to say.

THEN get rid of the bridge AND that locking nut! I'd put a Bigsby on that as it's a bit beat up anyway.

The blue book is good for a range of prices but it doesn't count too much with ebay anymore. Ebay prices are controlled by the adrenaline in those last minutes before the auction's over any more.
    I had a bid on a funky little Guyatone (GREAT quirky sounding guitars, by the way) and the price went from $99 to $400 in a couple of minutes. I had a $120 high bid, but two buyers suddenly had a little pissing contest, I guess.
    I hope they do that when I start to sell all my stuff! :cool:
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I hope when you sell your stuff we get first dibs! =)
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    well, when I got the "second chance offer", I responded to the email and to the 'ask seller a question' on ebay. the true seller responded back saying that he had not offered a second chance offer. the emailed second chance offer (which looked exactly like an ebay email) was a hoax. be careful, it seems like there's a lot of that going around. I get probably a hoax ebay and paypal email a week.

I would've paid $400, I don't think I'd have went much over that. I don't know why they would've sanded the neck like that.,