pictures of my Christmas present (I need to show it off to somebody)

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
It's a 1993, but looks brand new...no scratches, no dings, no buckle rash. the guy said it came out of the case 2 or 3 times in 13 years. I *believe* the pickups are 490/498, but if someone can clarify I'd appreciate it. plays easier than I had anticipated, neck is not fat at all. so much faster than my strat. tell me what you think

it has grover tuners and they are starting to get a little rusty, but no problem. the frets aren't going to last too many more years either. it's going to take some getting used to because the frets on the strat and this one are waaay different.

now I gotta go throw some DRs on it and mess around with the settings a little.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/Pontius2000/les1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/Pontius2000/les2.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e228/Pontius2000/les3.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Merry Christmas to YOU!!!!
    good times!
    i like it a lot1
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~PJ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ KoL ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1/14/95, Charlotte 2000, 2003:4/15, 4/16, 7/1, 7/5, 7/6, 7/8, 7/9, 2006: 5/27, 5/28, 5/30;6/17/08, 6/28/08
    *** www.myspace.com/pirljamgirl***
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    looks great.

*should* be the 490/498s. my 96 is.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    If it's only been out of the case a few times, those frets should be almost brand new.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    enharmonic wrote:
    If it's only been out of the case a few times, those frets should be almost brand new.

I wondered about that too. but considering the condition of the guitar, I'd believe it hasn't been touched much. but yeah, the frets aren't new.
  • That is sexy.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    pretty awsome, if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay?
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    seanw1010 wrote:
    pretty awsome, if you dont mind me asking, what did you pay?

$1200 off ebay. but the seller was in the same state as me, so I was able to play it before I bought it and pick it up. that was the 'buy it now' price and it sat there for a week. I have no idea what the guitar is 'worth', but on the 7th day, the bidding was up to over a thousand so I couldn't believe nobody wouldn't just go ahead buy it, so I did, because it was going to top the BIN price. I was saving up for a LP, but was probably going to have to settle for a Studio, so I figured why not go for this one.
  • Santa Clause must love you dude!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    MLC2006 wrote:
    $1200 off ebay. but the seller was in the same state as me, so I was able to play it before I bought it and pick it up. that was the 'buy it now' price and it sat there for a week. I have no idea what the guitar is 'worth', but on the 7th day, the bidding was up to over a thousand so I couldn't believe nobody wouldn't just go ahead buy it, so I did, because it was going to top the BIN price. I was saving up for a LP, but was probably going to have to settle for a Studio, so I figured why not go for this one.
    holy shit! thats an awsome deal man.

you are very lucky :)
    lol, yeah.

you may remember my story from about a month ago where I was given the Peavey 5150 amp. I sold that on ebay because it was too much for me. I got a membership card from musiscians friend and got the Fender Blues Deluxe amp (which I LOVE, btw). I was going to pay for the amp with the 5150 money once I got the fender amp and approved of it (I didn't want the headache of trying to get money back from musicians friend after I'd paid for it if I didn't like it). but then I saw this guitar and I spent a week trying to talk myself out of wanting it. I finally told the guy I wanted to try it. between what I got for the 5150 and what I had saved, I only needed $200. so I talked my wife into giving it to me for Christmas. and she wants some kind of brick edging crap in the yard that's $600 so I told her to get it.....that ALWAYS works. when I got her an engagement ring in 1998, I talked her into getting the Strat for me in return.

so now I just need to pay $100 a month for 6 months to musicians friend for the fender amp, and I'm free and clear. then I'm getting some kind of Taylor acoustic because I sold my other acoustic about a year ago to help pay for a fish aquarium.
    MLC2006 wrote:
    lol, yeah.

you may remember my story from about a month ago where I was given the Peavey 5150 amp. I sold that on ebay because it was too much for me. I got a membership card from musiscians friend and got the Fender Blues Deluxe amp (which I LOVE, btw). I was going to pay for the amp with the 5150 money once I got the fender amp and approved of it (I didn't want the headache of trying to get money back from musicians friend after I'd paid for it if I didn't like it). but then I saw this guitar and I spent a week trying to talk myself out of wanting it. I finally told the guy I wanted to try it. between what I got for the 5150 and what I had saved, I only needed $200. so I talked my wife into giving it to me for Christmas. and she wants some kind of brick edging crap in the yard that's $600 so I told her to get it.....that ALWAYS works. when I got her an engagement ring in 1998, I talked her into getting the Strat for me in return.

so now I just need to pay $100 a month for 6 months to musicians friend for the fender amp, and I'm free and clear. then I'm getting some kind of Taylor acoustic because I sold my other acoustic about a year ago to help pay for a fish aquarium.
    damn your lucky...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    says the guy with a fender supersonic and more guitars than he needs ;)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    MLC2006 wrote:
    because I sold my other acoustic about a year ago to help pay for a fish aquarium.

priorities buddy... priorities!!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Novawind wrote:
    says the guy with a fender supersonic and more guitars than he needs ;)

Hey! I take some offense to that.... well, no, not really. =)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    That's a fine price, and it's dead sexy. I love black les paul standards. That and the tuning machines have already been improved. It should sound freaking great with that blues deluxe.

Yeah they should be Alnico's so that's 490 and 498.

see and I'm not the only one who believes the engagement guitar is a fair exchange. Thanks, I can show this to my girlfriend and confirm it :D nice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    see and I'm not the only one who believes the engagement guitar is a fair exchange. Thanks, I can show this to my girlfriend and confirm it :D nice.

That definitely is a fantastic idea. Why should she be the only one with something nice and fancy to show off to all her friends and family?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gustavsson/jg_bm_9303/jg_bm_9303.html

dear girlfriend, this is what I want for christmas. I will buy you what ever piece of compressed carbon I can reasonably afford. (with great Cut Color and Clarity)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Awesome guitar dude, and I'm diggin that strat as well!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gustavsson/jg_bm_9303/jg_bm_9303.html

dear girlfriend, this is what I want for christmas. I will buy you what ever piece of compressed carbon I can reasonably afford. (with great Cut Color and Clarity)

what is it about the JG's everyone is loving?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    Awesome guitar dude, and I'm diggin that strat as well!

yeah, the selling points on the strat are the neck pickup (a texas special) and the neck. I haven't played many strats, but the neck on mine is NICE. I think those guitars can be got off ebay now for about $500 and it's all US made. it's the same as the Roadhouse Strat except that has 3 texas specials whereas this one has 2 texas specials and a seymour duncan hb. so basically, the Roadhouse is pretty much the same thing as the SRV model, at less than half the price.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    yeah, the selling points on the strat are the neck pickup (a texas special) and the neck. I haven't played many strats, but the neck on mine is NICE. I think those guitars can be got off ebay now for about $500 and it's all US made. it's the same as the Roadhouse Strat except that has 3 texas specials whereas this one has 2 texas specials and a seymour duncan hb. so basically, the Roadhouse is pretty much the same thing as the SRV model, at less than half the price.

A girl I know has one and never plays it (with the HB) in Suburst... I would just replace the pickgaurd and put in a TS in the bridge... Her brother is coming over this weekend.... hmm....
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    MLC2006 wrote:

$1200 for an LP standard?

Well done!
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    Pacomc79 wrote:

I got a Taylor 300 series Acoustic as an engagement guitar. :)
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Sweet !!
    I have a LP Standard also. There are two neck profiles, the fat 50's and the slim 60's. Yours is obviously a 60's.
    You can't beat a LP for tone.
    The only down side with them is upper fret access but check out Slash or Mike and watch them swing it onto the front leg and get it vertical and problem solved. This is my LP, known as Lucy.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/lucylespian/phonepics004.jpg
    Music is not a competetion.
    Sweet !!
    I have a LP Standard also. There are two neck profiles, the fat 50's and the slim 60's. Yours is obviously a 60's.
    You can't beat a LP for tone.
    The only down side with them is upper fret access but check out Slash or Mike and watch them swing it onto the front leg and get it vertical and problem solved. This is my LP, known as Lucy.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/lucylespian/phonepics004.jpg

that's a nice looking guitar. to me, the only downside I've noticed is that the strings are way too easy to bend on the gibson. the strat makes you work for a bended note, and it sounds better. but the les paul is incredibly easy to play, imo.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Sounds like you might be running 9's. I use 10-46 Gibson Brite Wires. My git has jumbo frets too, which makes bends easier. Yours probably does too which might be the differnece you are noticing. I think all my guitars have big frets. I haven't really played strats much to comment otherwise. Can't stand the hum !!
    Sounds like you might be running 9's. I use 10-46 Gibson Brite Wires. My git has jumbo frets too, which makes bends easier. Yours probably does too which might be the differnece you are noticing. I think all my guitars have big frets. I haven't really played strats much to comment otherwise. Can't stand the hum !!

when I got it, it had .009 GHS on it, and they bended way way way too easy. they were getting old anyway, so I put a set of .011 DRs on it and they bend too easy too. of course, I mostly play tuned down a half step, so that explains some of it. also, I've used heavier strings since I first started playing guitar so I'm used to them, and this is a different guitar. but yeah, the gibson's frets are HUGE compared to the strat's.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    that's a nice looking guitar. to me, the only downside I've noticed is that the strings are way too easy to bend on the gibson. the strat makes you work for a bended note, and it sounds better. but the les paul is incredibly easy to play, imo.

Nice guitar for a nice price!
    Les Pauls have a shorter string length than a Strat. When you tune to pitch, the shorter the string length = the less tension on the strings to reach that pitch. (That's Who's_pearljam?'s first law of Stretchability.) :D
    So it's significantly easier to bend a set of 10's on a Les Paul than it is on a Strat.
    Of course it works out because it's heavier to hang a Les Paul around your neck, too! :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Les Pauls have a shorter string length than a Strat. When you tune to pitch, the shorter the string length = the less tension on the strings to reach that pitch. (That's Who's_pearljam?'s first law of Stretchability.) :D
    So it's significantly easier to bend a set of 10's on a Les Paul than it is on a Strat.
    Of course it works out because it's heavier to hang a Les Paul around your neck, too! :)

There you go, I didn't know LP's had a shorter scale length than strats. JUmbo frets feel like frickin speed bumps when you first get them, esp when you are trying to slide, going ga-dunk, ga-daunk, ga-dunk. But then ya get used to em and everything feels ok after that. Going back to lower frets isn't as noticeable. I've got 2 ESP's as well, which both have jumbos.
    It's the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that 11's are too eay to bend. You must be a gorilla !!
    It's the first time I've ever heard anyone complain that 11's are too eay to bend. You must be a gorilla !!

not at all, the 11 ARE harder to bend on the strat. hard enough that I switched to DR Blues .10 instead when they first came out. but .11 is VERY easy on the gibson. imo, I would GUESS that bending an .11 on the strat would be about like bending a .13 on the gibson. the string length makes sense.

doesn't make a whole lot of difference because I've figured out that rhythm is better on the gibson and lead is better on the strat. most of the lead stuff I play, like Hendrix stuff, will be better on the strat. stuff like PJ and AIC with not so many bends will be just as good or better on the LP.