Alice In Chains fans, ? about tuning on 'Facelift' album

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I would've asked this on the AIC board, but responses are pretty much non-existance there. so if anybody knows....

I got the 'Facelift' tab book a couple weeks ago and have about half the album worked out. on the first song, "We Die Young", it says the tuning is drop D and all strings down a half step, which is correct.

but there are no other tuning notes for any of the other songs, which would indicate standard tuning for all other songs. I assumed this was a printing error, because pretty much ALL of the songs on "Dirt", "Jar of Flies", "Sap", and "AiC" are dropped down a half step.

but then, I started playing along with the cd and it really DOES sound like the songs are higher pitched than half a step down. does anybody know for sure? my ear isn't good enough to pick through the distortion and the multiple guitar layers. but particularly on the songs "Bleed the Freak" and "Put You Down", it sounds like standard tuning.

*I ran into sort of this same problem with 2 Hendrix songs: "Wind Cries Mary" and "Hey Joe". everything I've read, even in Guitar World transcriptions says that they are dropped down a half step but I know with almost 100% certainty that they are standard tuning, there isn't even any distortion or multiple guitars to get it wrong. I know he played different tunings on shows, etc, but the studio album versions of those songs are most definitely in standard tuning and everybody seems to have it wrong.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Every single AIC is half a step down. Every single live Hendrix song is half a step down.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    Every single AIC is half a step down. Every single live Hendrix song is half a step down.

that is not true. the AIC instrumental song "Whale and Wasp" from Jar of Flies is definitely standard tuning and the album version of "Wind Cries Mary" is standard tuning also, no matter what anyone says. and several of the songs on "Facelift" *sound* like standard tuning.
  • Every single AIC is half a step down. Every single live Hendrix song is half a step down.
    Grind is standard.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    that is not true. the AIC instrumental song "Whale and Wasp" from Jar of Flies is definitely standard tuning and the album version of "Wind Cries Mary" is standard tuning also, no matter what anyone says. and several of the songs on "Facelift" *sound* like standard tuning.

I said LIVE Hendrix. I'm fairly certain everything on Facelift is half a step down. If not I know at least 85% of AIC's material is half a step down.