Fulltone OCD or Tonebone Hot British?

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm thinking on buying one of these pedals. which one would you all recommend. I'm looking for something that can brightly distorted like AC/DC or heavy like 80s Metallica, but not "digital" sounding. and it would also help if it could be rolled back for a more normal "classic rock" drive since my Tubescreamer just crapped out for no apparent reason. "trying it out" is not an option as the Fulltone would have to come from ebay and the Tonebone would come from somewhere like Musicians Friend (though I could send it back if I don't like).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I don't own an OCD, but I own a Tonebone HotBritish (love my Hot British).
    I can attest that my radial HB gives me very convincing Marshall sounds (for a pedal).
    It actually uses a 12AX7 preamp tube, really (it's not just for show like VOX effects stuff).
    The only problem seems to be that their foot-switches have a tendency to go bad.
    Funny, mine just started going bad fairly recently - with no-problems for a year of consistent use (on tour).
    I e-mailed them and they said they’d send me another foot-switch (and they didn't even ask for proof of purchase or anything).
    I'm still waiting, but it's only been a week (and it's coming from BC Canada - If you're interested I'll let you know when I get it).

Read your Harmony central reviews on each:
    Hot British: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Radial+Engineering/Tonebone+Hot+British+Distortion/10/1
    Fulltone OCD: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Fulltone/OCD/10/1

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The foot-switch came in the mail today (zero cost to me)!
    Cost them $1.92 to ship it to me (Air Mail), plus the cost of the foot-switch.
    I talked to them on the 5th, they sent it on the 11th, todays the 17th.
    Only took 12 days from the time I talked to them to get it in my hands - Not bad.
    +1 on Radial's Customer Service.

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    cool. I may try that one simply for the fact that if I don't like it, I can return it. whereas if I buy a fulltone off ebay, there's pretty much no return on it. thanks.
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    I own both--they are both excellent pedals of course. If you can buy both. If you can't, IMO the HB will get you more gain and thus closer to early Metallica. The HB is one of the least SS sounding pedals there is. No problems with my footswitch, but I have been leaning on a Lovepedal more recently.