benefit of adding a speaker?

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've got a fender blues deluxe which is a 1x12. I like it, but the sound is kind of "one dimensional". don't know if that's exactly the phrase I'm looking for. would there be a benefit of adding something like this......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Hot-Rod-Deluxe-112-80W-1x12-Guitar-Extension-Cab?sku=482439

it in itself is only a 1x12 cab. so would having the 2 speakers be better than the one? I'm not looking for the additional volume, but moreso "movement" or "dimension" in the sound that is coming out. anybody understand what I'm talking about?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I think I get what you're saying. If you added the extra speaker, you're bound to get at least a small change in sound movement. I don't know how much though but yes, you would, at least, get a change in sound movement.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Every time I've convinced a Hot Rod Deluxe player to add an extension cabinet that is closed-back, they have been blown away by the transformation.

I also know that I'd replace the stock speaker in a Hot Rod Deluxe with a Celestion Vintage 30. But bang-for-buck, the extension cab will open up a whole new level of sound for your amp.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Every time I've convinced a Hot Rod Deluxe player to add an extension cabinet that is closed-back, they have been blown away by the transformation.

I also know that I'd replace the stock speaker in a Hot Rod Deluxe with a Celestion Vintage 30. But bang-for-buck, the extension cab will open up a whole new level of sound for your amp.
    I've wanted a Hot Rod Deluxe SO BADLY...it's, IMO the best tube amp sound out there...I was going to get one and add a Marshall cab extension
    I've wanted a Hot Rod Deluxe SO BADLY...it's, IMO the best tube amp sound out there...I was going to get one and add a Marshall cab extension

I don't think you can go wrong with a HR Deluxe, or either of the DeVille's, for that matter. They're a good workhorse amp, gig well, take pedals EXTREMELY well, and you can replace one literally anywhere. Guitar Center, big city shops, little city shops, eBay, Craig's List, anywhere.

I really feel that a Vintage 30, or any number of other replacement speakers can make the combo itself sound a lot better. In a 2x12 DeVille, I'd go with a V30 and a Greenback. In a 4x10 DeVillle, I'd use Celesion Tube 10's.

But I'm serious about the extension cab... it really needs to be a sealed-back cab to fill in the sound, an open-back cab will be the same, just more of it. Even an old Peavey Sheffield 1x12" cab can add a lot of body to the tone. I sold one guy a 2x12 cab loaded with Mojo Tone speakers to put under his HR Deluxe, and he's been happy with that combo for a long time. Another guy I sold an old Crate 4x10 cab loaded with Weber alnico speakers, and he runs that under his HR Deluxe. Again, he gets a nice full rich tone.

Those Fender-issued HR extension cabs are long overdue... just what the HR Deluxe needs. You'll be happy with a Marshall cab, too, although the cosmetic matching of the Fender cab will appeal to some folks (think mini-stack look).
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    +1 on the Vintage 30.
    +1 on the closed back extension cab (matching a closed back cab with the open back amp will give you a nice punch and round out your sound).
    You may even want to consider HEADing the amp and then just getting a closed back 2X12 cabinet.
    These guys are inexpensive, and make very nice cabs: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    I like their Traditional G212H Closed back cabs - And you can't beat them for the $$$.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    +1 on the Vintage 30.
    +1 on the closed back extension cab (matching a closed back cab with the open back amp will give you a nice punch and round out your sound).
    You may even want to consider HEADing the amp and then just getting a closed back 2X12 cabinet.
    These guys are inexpensive, and make very nice cabs: http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    I like their Traditional G212H Closed back cabs - And you can't beat them for the $$$.

+ another one on the vintage 30.

Definately reccomend checking out avatar cabinets. Great piece.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    I don't think you can go wrong with a HR Deluxe, or either of the DeVille's, for that matter. They're a good workhorse amp, gig well, take pedals EXTREMELY well, and you can replace one literally anywhere. Guitar Center, big city shops, little city shops, eBay, Craig's List, anywhere.
    I dunno, from what I've heard, the DeVille drive channel isn't nearly as nice as the Hot Rod
    I dunno, from what I've heard, the DeVille drive channel isn't nearly as nice as the Hot Rod

Well, first off, they're both Hot Rod amps. The Deluxe is 40 watts thru a single 12", and the DeVille is 60 watts thru either 2-12"s or 4-10"s. You might be thinking of the Blues Deluxe/DeVille vs. the Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille, where there is a considerable difference in the drive channels. I don't think either amp (Blues or Hot Rod; Deluxe or DeVille) has a good drive channel. But the clean channel on all of them takes pedals so well, I don't consider it to be an issue. Get a Tubescreamer, Blues Driver, Rat, SansAmp, Big Muff, or whatever, and consider it done.

One thing I meant to add earlier... The Peavey Classic-Series extension cabs are (IMO) a much better cab design, insofar as they are a convertable cab (you can remove a panel for open-back, or keep it sealed). Some have the crappy Blue Marvel speakers, but the cab itself is a much more versatile cab:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-112E-112-E-1x-12-Ext-Classic-30-Cabinet_W0QQitemZ110268294325QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then again, it's hard to argue with the Fender mini-stack look:
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/9/1/557391.jpg
    Well, first off, they're both Hot Rod amps. The Deluxe is 40 watts thru a single 12", and the DeVille is 60 watts thru either 2-12"s or 4-10"s. You might be thinking of the Blues Deluxe/DeVille vs. the Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille, where there is a considerable difference in the drive channels. I don't think either amp (Blues or Hot Rod; Deluxe or DeVille) has a good drive channel. But the clean channel on all of them takes pedals so well, I don't consider it to be an issue. Get a Tubescreamer, Blues Driver, Rat, SansAmp, Big Muff, or whatever, and consider it done.

One thing I meant to add earlier... The Peavey Classic-Series extension cabs are (IMO) a much better cab design, insofar as they are a convertable cab (you can remove a panel for open-back, or keep it sealed). Some have the crappy Blue Marvel speakers, but the cab itself is a much more versatile cab:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-112E-112-E-1x-12-Ext-Classic-30-Cabinet_W0QQitemZ110268294325QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then again, it's hard to argue with the Fender mini-stack look:
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/3/9/1/557391.jpg
    Cleans are amazing until they get a little distorted from the tubes being so hot
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I really like the Fender Hot-Rod-Series clean tones (and as said, these amps accept OD
    pedals very well) - However, I feel that the OD in these amps is "practically un-useable".

Jim Price's Omega MOD's really help the Hot-Rod amps out (he betters the clean tones,
    and he's actually able to make the OD useable): http://omegaamps.com/mods2.html
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>