what is a device that you can record accompanying tracks on?

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
when I was taking guitar lessons years ago, my teacher had this small box thing (looked about like a multi effects processor) and he could record tracks onto tapes or cds to play along with. I would like to get one of these but 1. I don't even know what they're called and 2. I have no idea how much they would cost or what would be a good brand.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or high tech. I'm not even looking to make demos or anything, I"m looking to put down rhythm parts that I can solo and riff over.

somebody knows what I'm talking about, right? also, when you record on one of these things, do you hook it up through your amp, or do you have to record into the device?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I can't think of a name off the top of my head, but if you go into a music store and ask for a loop effect, i'm sure they'll have a few. I've never messed with one personally but I heard one guy do it once and it was pretty cool, I think it would be pretty fun. Hope someone else can help you out a little more. :)
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    MLC2006 wrote:
    when I was taking guitar lessons years ago, my teacher had this small box thing (looked about like a multi effects processor) and he could record tracks onto tapes or cds to play along with. I would like to get one of these but 1. I don't even know what they're called and 2. I have no idea how much they would cost or what would be a good brand.

I'm not looking for anything fancy or high tech. I'm not even looking to make demos or anything, I"m looking to put down rhythm parts that I can solo and riff over.

somebody knows what I'm talking about, right? also, when you record on one of these things, do you hook it up through your amp, or do you have to record into the device?
    It's called an RC20:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC20XL-Loop-Station?sku=151352
    Digitech also has one:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-JamMan-Looper-Pedal?sku=156600

Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC2-Loop-Station-Stomp-Box?sku=487040

pretty much the same as rc20, but smaller and less expensive
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    thanks guys. I was guessing I'd probably have to spend at least $400-$500, so all those options sound better than I was expecting. as far as the 2 Boss pedals, would there be any major reason to get the more expensive of the 2? also, other effects pedals can be used with them, right? thanks again.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    ANything can be used befor them. I suggest putting them last in your chain, through the FX loop if you have one.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I have both BOSS RC-20XL and RC-2:
    RC20XL - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC20XL-Loop-Station?sku=151352
    RC-2 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-RC2-Loop-Station-Stomp-Box?sku=487040
    I got the RC-2 because it's a single space pedal, and the RC-20 takes up 2-spaces on my pedal-board
    (which is too big already - I need all the extra space I can get on my PEDAL-BOARD).
    In all honestly the RC-2 kind of sucks a little tone (seems to loose a little tone), and I've noticed that things don't sound quite as clear.
    *Also (BIG THING), you need a separate non latching pedal like the FS-5U to make it work correctly.
    So in actuality it's not that compact after all - Here's the Non Latching Pedal: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-FS5U-Footswitch-Nonlatching?sku=421382)
    Here's the deal . . . to turn the pedal off you need to stomp on it twice fairly quickly (not an easy task while in the middle of playing).
    To erase the track on the go you need to hold it down while stopped (thus a double stomp, and hold down on the last stomp).
    If it's already stopped you can't erase with your feet without basically turning it on again - WHICH SUCKS IF YOU'RE PLAYING LIVE!!
    All this makes it very un-user friendly by itself - sooo you need an extra pedal to be able to stop and erase with ease.
    If you get the FS-6 footswitch: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-FS6-Footswitch?sku=421384 you can also switch between tracks on the fly.
    But now you've spend as much $$ as the RC-20, and you're taking up even more floor space than the RC-20.
    The Digitech JamMan is interesteing (because you can save everything with a 2G CompactFlash card),
    BUT (big but), in my experience most Digitech stuff really really really really sucks, so I don't think I'd go that route.
    All in all I think the BOSS RC-20 is probably the best way to go.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    Howabout a pic of your board ian?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Howabout a pic of your board ian?
    + 1
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I second the motion, and thanks Ian for saving me from typing! :D
    The Roland RC-20

I have one and I use it all the time.
    Hah,, even "low tech me" can even use it, and the instruction booklet is short enough to read.
    It's great for just putting a temporary loop to play, or you can save a few and has a reverse setting, you can play a CD into it to record a song and play over. I've never actually done that, though.

It's GREAT for fooling around and writing licks or chord progressions, too. I can catch them before they slip away from MY memory, which is getting shorter!
    I just put mine just before the amp, after the effects. It has batteries or wall power, too, and I've used it along with my Roland Microcube battery powered baby amp in the park and made some cash. :)
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    I second the motion, and thanks Ian for saving me from typing! :D
    Okay, okay, when I get some time I'll post a few PICS of my pedalboard.
    While I'm thinking about it, is there anything else of mine (gear wise) you want to see?
    This doesn't mean that I'll snap right to it, but I'll eventually post some pics.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Definately RC20

they have a new Boss sized pedal coming out this year as well, but the double pedal is much simpler.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Okay, okay, when I get some time to do up a PIC I'll post a few.
    While I'm thinking about it, is there anything else of mine (gear wise) you want to see?
    This doesn't mean that I'll snap right to it, but I'll eventually post some pics.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    Howabout everything:)

I don't really know what you have, I know theres lots and it's expensive!
    Howabout everything:)

I don't really know what you have, I know theres lots and it's expensive!
    okay - I'll post everything (well almost) when I get some pictures together.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal