what online music sites are not related to musiciansfriend??

MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am massively pissed with MF.com and want to find another online store that is not related to them in anyway. I heard GC is owned by them, true? what about music123?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I am massively pissed with MF.com and want to find another online store that is not related to them in anyway. I heard GC is owned by them, true? what about music123?

I know the MF and GC online are basically the same thing. I think Music123 is separate, as is zzounds.com. I bought my JM Strat from zzounds and couldn't have been happier.
  • I've used Music 123 a lot. Sam Ash, American Musical Supply
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I've used Music 123 a lot. Sam Ash, American Musical Supply

do you know that those are not connected with MF? I'm not sure and I want to know before I spend any money with these people. I know that Music123 uses the same bank in Nevada that MF uses, which gives me pause, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're connected.
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    I believe guitar center is the only one actually affiliated to mf.
    Try american musical supply or zzsounds.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Can we hear why so negative with Musicians Friend?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Can we hear why so negative with Musicians Friend?

well, I placed an order last Sunday night (7/15/07). it was for 2 pedals and some miscellaneous stuff, totalled $218. but this is the 3rd time I've ordered this year totalling well over $1000, so I'm becoming a fairly frequent customer. well, their mantra is "most orders ship out in 24 hours or less". so all of last week comes and goes with my order showing "being packed" on their website. finally, this morning, I email them wanting to know what the hell is going on and why my order is still sitting in their warehouse over a week after it was placed even though everything I ordered was in stock. so it turns out, they're in the process of changing for one warehouse to another. my beef with that is that is not shown ANYWHERE on their site. at no time was I told that there would be an over week long delay in sending my shit out, and now I'm pissed. meanwhile, they sent me an email of some new promotion saying "Order Now!!!". Order Now??!? I ordered a fucking week ago and they aren't sending my stuff.

granted, this is not the end of the world. but they could've had something on the website stating there would be a delay because of a warehouse change. I have searched that site from top to bottom and there is not one single mention of a delay due to moving. the way I see it, you are buying sight unseen from these online sites, so their big selling point is customer service. and it's no kind of customer service when you're expecting something to ship in a day and it's now been a week and half and it hasn't shipped. I realize this could happen with any company, they could give the common courtesy of a warning of such a delay. I mean, what if I was actually in a band and needed that shit in a timely manner? so if they can't do any better, I'll just take my business elsewhere, but I want to make sure it is somewhere not affiliated with MF.
  • MLC2006 wrote:
    well, I placed an order last Sunday night (7/15/07). it was for 2 pedals and some miscellaneous stuff, totalled $218. but this is the 3rd time I've ordered this year totalling well over $1000, so I'm becoming a fairly frequent customer. well, their mantra is "most orders ship out in 24 hours or less". so all of last week comes and goes with my order showing "being packed" on their website. finally, this morning, I email them wanting to know what the hell is going on and why my order is still sitting in their warehouse over a week after it was placed even though everything I ordered was in stock. so it turns out, they're in the process of changing for one warehouse to another. my beef with that is that is not shown ANYWHERE on their site. at no time was I told that there would be an over week long delay in sending my shit out, and now I'm pissed. meanwhile, they sent me an email of some new promotion saying "Order Now!!!". Order Now??!? I ordered a fucking week ago and they aren't sending my stuff.

granted, this is not the end of the world. but they could've had something on the website stating there would be a delay because of a warehouse change. I have searched that site from top to bottom and there is not one single mention of a delay due to moving. the way I see it, you are buying sight unseen from these online sites, so their big selling point is customer service. and it's no kind of customer service when you're expecting something to ship in a day and it's now been a week and half and it hasn't shipped. I realize this could happen with any company, they could give the common courtesy of a warning of such a delay. I mean, what if I was actually in a band and needed that shit in a timely manner? so if they can't do any better, I'll just take my business elsewhere, but I want to make sure it is somewhere not affiliated with MF.

Bud, I'd be pissed off too. I know it sounds silly, but that place is there because you know you can go online order it, and get it in two-three days tops. I agree with you totally. Honestly give music 123 a shot. American Musical Supply does well too. I just like Music 123, they have some different items then the others do it seems.

good news/bad news.

I signed up for the music123 and got approved with a $3000 limit (which I found wierd because my limit on the MF card was only $1000).

the bad news is that music123 IS owned by GuitarCenter and is therefore a sister company of MF. in fact, there are 5-6 different music companies that are owned by GC, they pretty much have a freaking monopoly. Sam Ash is the only major online company not owned by them. so I will be wary. I don't know. I had previously been 100% happy with MF. but once I get pissed off with a business, then I'm pissed and have no further use for them. also, I got my order with MF cancelled.
  • 810wmb810wmb Posts: 849
    i'm the meat, yer not...signed Capt Asshat
    810wmb wrote:

dude, THANK YOU for posting that. if you had not, I would've gone and made the same mistake all over again. MF and Music123 are being loaded into the same warehouse and it's basically been a clusterfuck for over 2 months now. I called the M123 number to confirm this and he said it would probably be a backlog through August. I will be taking my bucks to the local mom and pops or to ebay, somewhere where they actually give a shit about the customer rather than owning all the businesses.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    MLC2006 wrote:
    dude, THANK YOU for posting that. if you had not, I would've gone and made the same mistake all over again. MF and Music123 are being loaded into the same warehouse and it's basically been a clusterfuck for over 2 months now. I called the M123 number to confirm this and he said it would probably be a backlog through August. I will be taking my bucks to the local mom and pops or to ebay, somewhere where they actually give a shit about the customer rather than owning all the businesses.
    Local stores are where it's at. I don't mind spending the extra money because of the service you get.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    MLC2006 wrote:
    They really can't expect you to wait that long and they totally should have some sort of warning up to let everyone know the situation before they order.
    That's just crazy. Go somewhere where someone actually wants to look after you. Cheers for the warnings to others as well.
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Try Sweetwater:

http://www.sweetwater.com/

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
    get this, so I cancelled this order yesterday. this morning, I get an email saying, "we apologize for the delay. your order has been shipped". god, it just gets better and better. so as soon as I cancel, they decide to get off their asses and send the stuff out. but if I'm not complaining, they'll just let the order sit there indefinitely. that is just bushleague, imo.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Yeah, they get scared when orders are cancelled
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    Yeah, they get scared when orders are cancelled

actually, no. after I got that email, I checked the tracking info on the website and it said "cancelled". so I called and asked "is it sent or is it cancelled?". it's cancelled. the "it's shipped" email was sent by mistake. turns out the people who send out emails there must have their heads as far up their asses as the people who can't get the warehouse organized in 2 month's time.

I've been looking into Sweetwater.com. they appear to have absolutely no affiliation with GC or MF. I'll either do that or go to the local music store. it sucks because the music store's prices are about 30% higher than online, but at least you can walk in, get it, and leave without a bunch of headache.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    What about ebay. Maybe not a private seller but they have tons of stores on there.