(drums)

bravesirrobinbravesirrobin Posts: 34
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
how can I get my bass sounding like a real deep low lipstick sound? By lipstick I mean it has that pop and smack but at the the same time real deep. Can I loosen the opposite head (opposite which is hit by pedel) or should I buy a different ...not sure whats its called , the stick hitting the bass. I currently own a Tama Superstar- exept for the bass pedel is from a CB ( real cheap) set. I have Remo heads for my bass , but cant quite seem to get the sound Im looking for. If anyone knows it ll help.
I like..to play. - Garth
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    They have "beaters" that you can buy to get that popping, snap sound. They're stickers that you put where the beaters hit the drum head. They come made in different materials for different sounds. Musicians friend has them.

I'm not a drummer, but I've played with plenty of them, and I had one who acctually took two bass drums, and stuck them together to get a deeper tone. He called it the cannon. It sounded pretty cool.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • evenflow wrote:
    They have "beaters" that you can buy to get that popping, snap sound. They're stickers that you put where the beaters hit the drum head. They come made in different materials for different sounds. Musicians friend has them.

I'm not a drummer, but I've played with plenty of them, and I had one who acctually took two bass drums, and stuck them together to get a deeper tone. He called it the cannon. It sounded pretty cool.

yeah I have that a 5 dollar sticker for were the head hits, I appriciate the post but I have no idea were to go for a thick deep beat on the bass with what I have - W/ Tama superstar -Nemo head , Tama opposite bass with a shitty hit stick.... could I loosen the exteriour and tighten head or vise virsa, or what kind of stick could I buy to enhance deeper thicker tone?
    I like..to play. - Garth
  • yeah I have that a 5 dollar sticker for were the head hits, I appriciate the post but I have no idea were to go for a thick deep beat on the bass with what I have - W/ Tama superstar -Nemo head , Tama opposite bass with a shitty hit stick.... could I loosen the exteriour and tighten head or vise virsa, or what kind of stick could I buy to enhance deeper thicker tone?

just wondering,

when you have heard this "ideal" sound, was it an actualy true acoustic kit? or was it at a show, or on a cd, because live or in house set-ups have EQ's and as someone experienced in this stuff, the bass drum is allways one of the most important EQ'd instruments of a band...you want the crowd (or listener) to feel it, so it is EQ'd accordingly. Just a thought. If you are talking about recording or live sound, i can give you some tips.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • ellroyellroy Posts: 39
    hi there i use a drumhead thats got oil in it and i can tell you that it has a big fat pumping sound
    The heads i use are from remo maybe it is what youre looking for

good luck
    its evolution baby!!!
  • InhumanInhuman Posts: 17
    ellroy wrote:
    hi there i use a drumhead thats got oil in it and i can tell you that it has a big fat pumping sound
    The heads i use are from remo maybe it is what youre looking for

good luck

What you're referring to would be a Remo Pinstripe. Not exactly something I'd recommend throwing on a kick... but thats just me. I used a Yamaha Power V set with one of 'em off and on for a few years, and I found it gave off a very lifeless, loud thud. Not exactly what most people look for in a kick, but hey, if you like it, all the more power to ya'! Personally I have a Remo Powerstroke 3 on my giggin' kit, and an Evans EQ4 on my home kit, and of the two, I tend to actually go with the PS3. But the kicks are completely different compositions and sizes, so the comparison is kinda unfair.

ANYWAYS. To the threadstarter, what you gotta do is learn how to TUNE! Drums don't tune themselves. They won't sound as good as they can and should if you don't know how to tune. And so on. Superstars are nice kits (especially the original ones!), and the new ones even have diecast hoops, which is a nice little addition usually saved for kits much higher in price. Personally my opinion on them is mixed, but thats not the point.

Back to what I was saying. How to properly tune is something that can only be learned through experience. I'd recommend reading the Drum Tuning Bible, which can be found through Google somewhat easily (if you cant find it, just ask and I'll grab you a link) to get a start, but after that, you're pretty much on your own. Listen to the drum sounds on some records (keeping in mind that they are compressed and EQd all to hell), try different tunings out, and see what you like. And finally, don't buy anything you don't need until you know what you've got.

~ Tony.

PS...

Before I go, I just thought I'd clear up the other little mixup that someone made earlier in this thread. The beater is actually the object attached to the stick (and the stick itself) that extend from the kick pedal. The patch that goes on your drumhead to define the slap of the beater isnt actually called a beater... its just a kick patch, sometimes called a Falam Slam patch, or something along those lines. Just thought I'd mention that in case someone goes to a music store to buy something and gets disappointed. The beater itself can and will make a difference in how your kick sounds as well, but I'll go through that another time, as I'm short on time right now.