B-52 Halfstack has to much feedback

bravesirrobinbravesirrobin Posts: 34
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My halfstack has a whole lot of feedback when played with effects (exspecailly distortion). Its only 5 months old and not played all that much. The louder I turn up the worse it gets. This ever happen to someones amp before? what could the problem be? Anyone have a b-52? I personally never heard of them before my friend had one. His was so nice I picked one for my self after taking back a marshall that really sucked.
I like..to play. - Garth
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• isn't feedback a good thing?

i'd KILL for some feedback.

even when i crank my old egnater on the plexi channel it really doesn't come to easy ...

are you playing while sitting on top of your amp or with your guitar in the cabinet grill?

lol.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My halfstack has a whole lot of feedback when played with effects (exspecailly distortion). Its only 5 months old and not played all that much. The louder I turn up the worse it gets. This ever happen to someones amp before? what could the problem be? Anyone have a b-52? I personally never heard of them before my friend had one. His was so nice I picked one for my self after taking back a marshall that really sucked.

stand farther away from the amp. Turn your gain knob down until it stops then turn your volume knob up to compensate.

Then if that doesn't clear it up we can talk about other options like using higher gain (clean headroom) tubes and or guitar shielding and the like.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • yeah its the bad kind of feedback (you know ,really loud and anoyying). I tried playing in the oppisite room w/doors closed and still get the whistling feedback.
    I like..to play. - Garth
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah its the bad kind of feedback (you know ,really loud and anoyying). I tried playing in the oppisite room w/doors closed and still get the whistling feedback.

It could be your cables especially if they are unshielded, it could certainly be from your pickups. It could also be from the tubes, is it the all tube version B52 halfstack? It could also be a microphonic tube.

any gain amplification devices will amplify the feedback.

Try turning the gain knob down and see if it stops.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • last resort = one of those dang white Boss noise gates.
    i was shocked and amazed when a buddy plugged one of those in to the chain of a dumbass friend of a friends who owns a Peavey XXX head and cabinet (yeah. he's HARDCORE! grrr!) ...

and wow did it cut down all the buzz, rattle, and feedback.
    supposedly they suck tone away too, but who the fuck could tell on a XXX head.

lol.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Could be horribly microphonic pickups. I've been thinking about getting my HB's wax-potted to fix this very problem.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • before any drastic procedures. Check the grounds on all of your equipment, and mayeb go to a local electronics department and get house plug ground tester. Make sure everything is well grounded and that could eliminate your feedback problem. (its called 60 cycle hum, if you want more info just ask i knwo all abotu it, oh yeah, if your playing with a strat, of course, i have multiple solutions, for some reason im a genious abotu those things, soem people, including my guitar store, can vouch for that)

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • You say it's a whistling type feedback? If it's like a high pitched squeal then it's most likely a worn or microphonic preamp tube. If it's like a low pitched whooooaaahhhhhh,,,,,, it might be a power tube. That would be more rare. I'm betting it's a preamp tube like a 12ax7 tube, especially since the distortion triggers it. Marshall combo's are famous for this, too.
    It wouldn't be totally unusual for a 5 month old amp to do this. Tubes are touchy cranky things sometimes. We still love them, though! :)

First thing to do is try a different guitar and cord just to make sure it isn't one of them to make sure it's not a bad pickup. If you're standing in a different room and i's doing it, then it's probably not the pickup.
    Like Harrison says, check the ground in the house, too. 60 cycle hum is more consistent, though, like a hum more than a whistle.

THEN you can check the preamp tube and that's what it'll be! :D

Maybe!

Good luck
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart