if you have a minute.....

mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey there.

i'm "new", but not really. i know that a lot of folks on here don't like how bands/musicians ask them to check their stuff out...

but,
i've been playing music for awhile and i've never gone through a writing phase like the one i've been in for the last 4 months. it just keeps coming and it's a fun ride. i'm not claiming to re-invent the wheel or anything--i promise. i would just like to get some feedback on the 4 new songs that i posted on my myspace page. positive or negative---i can take it.

with that being said...if you want to..please take a listen to my songs on my page. they're new...a little rough around the edges. but it's a lot of fun to be writing solo stuff this much again since my band broke up 6 months ago.

anyway..here's the link:
myspace.com/mattcluthe

and yes---i've heard it before. there is an eddie influence:) that can't be bad, right? ;)
I LOVE MUSIC.
www.cluthelee.com
www.cluthe.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I like it when people post their stuff here. If I don't like it I don't comment and move on and not worry about it.
    It's hard enough to find a forum to display new music in the world now and a musician's forum should be a great place to get feedback from other musicians!

I'm sitting here listening to Say Say and I think it's REALLY good.
    I like the rhythm on the guitar picking and the little delay behind your voice. Some people may say string squeaks are a little loud, but, haha, I like string squeaks. Makes it real.

Midnight's on now and I"m really liking it, too! I like the slide in the background.

I'll go through the other ones when I get back, but I like it and thanks for putting them up!

Ha! Love Love Love's on, and man, it sounds like you're in Texas! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    thanks for your comment! yeah, they're a little rough around the edges. but i think they hold up ok. i'm anxious to play these live. i'm new to the area & they aren't many places for singer/songwriters to play. it looks like i may have to travel to dallas to gig for a bit.

does anyone else have any comments? i'd love to hear your thoughts! thanks!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • I think Hold is a very good song. You sound somewhat like ray lamontagne when subtle, and eddie when loud. Other songs are solid.
    ??!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    just wanted to say thanks to those of you that took a minute or two to listen to the new stuff. i'm currently working on finishing these songs (those were rough cuts) & recording a couple of other new ones for an EP. anyway, thanks for listening & for your feedback! btw...i'm still open to MORE feedback! ;) thanks again--

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    you are really good. love your voice and say say is an awesome song. i really dig that one. love to hear the finished versions.

cheers for sharing
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    good - keep at it and I'm sure you'll do fine - takes time to build a fan-base.
    Just a little performance tip - I'd move the music stand - don't hide behind it.
    Sitting behind a music stand can make it look like you don't know the music.
    People typically want to see and hear the performer, so just hide behind your
    guitar & close your eyes (plus you'll come off like you're more into the music).
    If you need to use a music stand, move it off to your side - this way when
    you look at your fretting hand you can also glance at the music stand, yet
    it's not hiding you from the audience.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Really good stuff! Continue to keep it real.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

i rarely use a stand on stage. but i had to that show b/c i was playing several new songs & had to see the words. and the stage was..well..tiny.

i agree w/ your point, though. i try to avoid using them as much as possible.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    hey everyone..

i just posted another new song on the page & i'd really like your input. it's called "Breathing Easier". i've written a few songs about my dad passing before, but i truly feel like i am at peace now. this was a spur of the moment recording.... i scribbled down the words as fast as i could and picked up the guitar. then i added a quiet 2nd guitar & some slight piano accents on the chord changes.

anyway...this song is new. this song is raw. and it means a lot to me.

i'm thinking of putting it on the EP as-is. bad idea? just take a listen if you can & be honest. thanks a lot.

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mfc2006 wrote:
    hey everyone..

i just posted another new song on the page & i'd really like your input. it's called "Breathing Easier". i've written a few songs about my dad passing before, but i truly feel like i am at peace now. this was a spur of the moment recording.... i scribbled down the words as fast as i could and picked up the guitar. then i added a quiet 2nd guitar & some slight piano accents on the chord changes.

i'm thinking of putting it on the EP as-is. bad idea? just take a listen if you can & be honest. thanks a lot.

Matt

I like that style of writing (getting inspired and writing right when it hits you). It's worked best for me. Maybe the "rawness" adds to it? I personally think it shows the musicians humanity and imperfections. That's just me, though. I like the realness of music which, ironically, allows me to escape reality.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    I like that style of writing (getting inspired and writing right when it hits you). It's worked best for me. Maybe the "rawness" adds to it? I personally think it shows the musicians humanity and imperfections. That's just me, though. I like the realness of music which, ironically, allows me to escape reality.
    That's exactly how i feel. My favorite work is not my best work techincally. Far from it.
    mfc2006 wrote:
    hey everyone..

Matt

I wouldn't change anything. It's perfect in it's imperfection if that makes sense. Raw emotion, raw passion, raw honesty. I don't know a thing about you and it moved me. Listened to it a few times and i can feel your pain. If you ironed it out and made it perfect, it would be just another decent tune.

Hold and say say are awesome songs.

Best of luck with the EP.
    thanks for the feedback on "Breathing Easier"!! it feels so good to get those feelings out there.

i just posted another (new) song called "Day Has Come" on my page. again, it's a rough demo, but i think you can get a good sense of the song. i'm trying to decide on the last 2 songs for the EP, and this one is in the running. please take a sec & let me know what you think! thanks a lot----Matt

http://www.myspace.com/mattcluthe
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • really like your stuff! like someone already mentioned it sounds alot like ray lamontagne mixed with ed... let me know when you get it all finalized and ill buy a copy... and if you ever wanna start a band up in chicago hit me up :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/