Kahler or Floyd Rose Tremolo

New Orleans DudeNew Orleans Dude Posts: 61
edited October 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
if you are a heavy tremolo user, which of these do you prefer. the majority of guitars i see out there with a locking tremolo have a floyd rose. but i've heard some good things about kahlers. my guitar teacher said he used to have 2 two guitars, one with a FR, the other with a kahler, back in the 80s; and he said he preferred the kahler. what do you guys think?
im awesome
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• if you are a heavy tremolo user, which of these do you prefer. the majority of guitars i see out there with a locking tremolo have a floyd rose. but i've heard some good things about kahlers. my guitar teacher said he used to have 2 two guitars, one with a FR, the other with a kahler, back in the 80s; and he said he preferred the kahler. what do you guys think?

the kahler is nice but most guitars need heavy modding for them (cutting out some of the body to fit). It is a pretty nice tremelo though i must add. I have an old one kicking around if you want to buy it. it used to be worth alot, but then kahler started making them again...so mine went down in value...

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The only people I ever see using guitars with Floyd or Kahler type trems are either into metal or shred.
    With either type of bridge it takes a lot of work to change the strings, and if you happen to break a string
    all of the strings get thrown out of wack - and then it takes quite a bit of work to get the guitar back in tune.
    I used an Ibanez Jem7V a while back (for a Vai Cover - major shred) that had an Ibanez Edge Pro bridge on it
    which seemed to work well - hey if Vai uses it then I guess it must work well with all trem work he does.
    Here's a better PIC of the trem off the guitar: Ibanez Edge Pro TREM
    I think this Edge Pro is a variation of the FR - the Kahlers seem a lot more chunky.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫