Looking for a starter acoustic guitar

Blue11Blue11 Posts: 200
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys, I've decided to play guitar again (been 12 years since the last time I played). I was still just learning back then, then decided to stop.
I've browsed some threads on starter guitars (acoustic) and I've found that some people agree on getting either a Washburn D-10, a Seagull, or and Art and Luthrie as a starter.
Are there any other decently priced acoustics out there that would be a good starter? I'm looking for a dreadnought.
Hope you guys can help.
" All the stars in the sky, thought you were up in mine
Still I wonder, I wonder......" "Black" tag 09-16-2005 Ottawa

Toronto 2003, Kitchener 2005, Montreal 2005, Ottawa 2005, Toronto II 2006, Albany 2006, Hartford 2006, Camden I 2008, Camden II 2008, Washington, D.C. 2008, Toronto 2009, Chicago I 2009, Columbus 2010, Noblesville, 2010
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    i think Seagulls are nice guitars...

do you care if it's made in china?
    if not, try Blueridge. Awesome guitar for the money. I have the BR-160 and paid about $550 for it. they have a other models for even cheaper i believe
    my epiphone acoustic that i got 15 years ago has held up ok too, pretty much stays in tune.
  • the Fender acoustic pack is awesome. I got one and it's a durable guitar...trust me, I highly suggest this
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • moejilesmoejiles Posts: 70
    Simon Patrick Guitars are awsome....great pricing(under 400) and they are made in Canada. I have a SP6 Cedar as well as 2 Taylors - I would never give up my SP - I play it as much as the Taylors.
  • If you can get over the "made in China" I agree the Blueridge are really good. I saw Hayden play recently and he used a Blueridge BR 160 that sounded amazing. I played one, really nice sounding guitar especially for the money.
    Much less than half the price of a comparable Martin, and a full rich sound with all solid wood. The neck was a little thin for my liking. It depends on your budget and what you like the sound and feel of. Seagul and Simon and Patrick are really good value, decent guitars that used to be built in Canada, not sure if they still are. Gibson acoustics seem hit and miss. They are expensive and not always so great. Martins are amazing (to me) Deep bass, full sound, beautiful to play. Taylors play nicely but sound bright and thin to me, others love them. In Toronto, Capsule Music on Queen west carries Blueridge and usually have some other used stuff worth checking. Twelfth Fret on Danforth carries Martin, Taylor, Seagul......

good luck
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    id recommend any takamine g series. great beginner guitars that wont break the bank. and they are very easy to come by
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • jcfranzjcfranz Posts: 168
    Blue11 wrote:
    Hey guys, I've decided to play guitar again (been 12 years since the last time I played). I was still just learning back then, then decided to stop.
    I've browsed some threads on starter guitars (acoustic) and I've found that some people agree on getting either a Washburn D-10, a Seagull, or and Art and Luthrie as a starter.
    Are there any other decently priced acoustics out there that would be a good starter? I'm looking for a dreadnought.
    Hope you guys can help.
    How about this one?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-DX1-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-100895119-i1148383.gc
    Good quality, great sound, great price, terrific name.
    It's easy to grin, When your ship comes in, And you've got the stock market beat. But the man worthwhile, Is the man who can smile, When his shorts are too tight in the seat