Line 6 Spider III 30

leafs4everleafs4ever Posts: 833
edited February 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys, just started playin the guitar about 3months ago on an accoustic electric, but i went out this week and picked up a new Epiphone SG Special (electric) and need a new amp for it. I currently have a robson amp that came with my original starter kit, but it sounds absolutly horrible with any effect/distortion at all. Just wondering how the Spider III 30 would sound, i found it for 249.
thanks
"I'll ride the wave where it takes me"
09/19/05, 05/09/06, 05/10/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's definitley an OK practice amp.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'd go with Vox instead. The Spiders are too digital sounding, unless u want that.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I've never played one before. It's probably cool that you can choose from all those presets of classic tones.

The Vox Valvetronix amps are great ones too. They run a little cheaper as well.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • alright kewl, thanks for the help guys. There is also a Marshall 30watt (not sure the exact model) for the same price, right now i'm trying to decide between those 2, but i'll see if i can find any of the Vox amps.
  • PappasPappas Posts: 809
    ive got a spider 112 or something like that, about a year old i love it. great practise amp

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • one of my guitarist plays an epiphone sg through a spider stack and it sounds fine theres alot of digital effects and whatnot if your into the tom maralow type of sound
  • Well i went to my shop today to buy the Spider III 75 and it had been sold which to say the least p*ssed me off a bit. So the guy there told me to try out the Vox Valventronix 30 (and i remembered you guys recommending that) so i tried it out along with the Roland 20x. The Vox blew me away, so many different sounds and i love the volume on the back that lets you decide how many watts you wanna use. Then the guy started playing on it and went from everything from AC/DC, The Eagles, The Who, Radiohead, to Sex Pistols, The Clash, and Green Day. Needless to say i thought it did sound better than the Line 6 and i picked it up today for 299 (a little more than the Spider). The only question i have is if any of you have a good preset for The Smashing Pumpkins Today.
    Thanks again for the help
  • leafs4ever wrote:
    Well i went to my shop today to buy the Spider III 75 and it had been sold which to say the least p*ssed me off a bit. So the guy there told me to try out the Vox Valventronix 30 (and i remembered you guys recommending that) so i tried it out along with the Roland 20x. The Vox blew me away, so many different sounds and i love the volume on the back that lets you decide how many watts you wanna use. Then the guy started playing on it and went from everything from AC/DC, The Eagles, The Who, Radiohead, to Sex Pistols, The Clash, and Green Day. Needless to say i thought it did sound better than the Line 6 and i picked it up today for 299 (a little more than the Spider). The only question i have is if any of you have a good preset for The Smashing Pumpkins Today.

hey man, I'm actually picking up that Vox amp myself in a week. Like you, I've only been playing for a few months with lessons, but its coming along well!

anyways, any possible way (i know you're trying to figure it out too) you can help me out to what effects the guy used to dial in all those bands that'd be great. thanks.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    leafs4ever wrote:
    Well i went to my shop today to buy the Spider III 75 and it had been sold which to say the least p*ssed me off a bit. So the guy there told me to try out the Vox Valventronix 30 (and i remembered you guys recommending that) so i tried it out along with the Roland 20x. The Vox blew me away, so many different sounds and i love the volume on the back that lets you decide how many watts you wanna use. Then the guy started playing on it and went from everything from AC/DC, The Eagles, The Who, Radiohead, to Sex Pistols, The Clash, and Green Day. Needless to say i thought it did sound better than the Line 6 and i picked it up today for 299 (a little more than the Spider). The only question i have is if any of you have a good preset for The Smashing Pumpkins Today.

I've really been thinking about getting this amp. I have a Fender GDec and it's ok for practicing but I'm getting kinda bored with it. I've been playing for a year and was wanting something a little better. You may have talked me into it. :eek:
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    leafs4ever wrote:

I have a website saved at home with hundreds of settings for the Valvetronix amps, very cool site....I'll post it here when I find it!
  • sennin wrote:
    I have a website saved at home with hundreds of settings for the Valvetronix amps, very cool site....I'll post it here when I find it!

awesome, ur the man!

i'm getting a Vox also do this will be helpful
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    sennin wrote:

You mean these?

http://www.valvetronix.net/
    http://www.patchtronix.com/

Didn't mean to steal your thunder. :D
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • kewl, thanks guys. Those presets are great.
    To the guys getting the vox amp, sorry, i'm not sure what settings the guy used for all the different songs, he just kept switching the amp modules and changing the gains, treble, middle, and bass to get the right sounding amp. I'm not even sure which effects he was doing of if the effects were bypassed. I'm going in on saturday for my lessons, so i'll talk to him then and see if he can write some of them down for me.