New at the harmonica

JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, I just got a new harmonica (an Oskar Lee) Diatonic C .

Just wondering if anyone on here could give me some pointers or tunes to try out at a beginner level (ultimate beginner :o)

Just started practicing Dylan's Blowin in the wind.

It's harder thn I thought to get a clear single note every time.
Is fucking up allowed or do you stop and start over? :s

I really am new to this ... hmmmm
Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I can't play worth crap BUT my friend is amazing so I will let him take over to help you out...

The first song i learned was "When the Saints go marching in". If you go to a nearby Guitar Center or Marshall Music, or anyother music store, you can find a book on beginners songs. If your having trouble getting single notes out at a time, say oooh, then put the harmonica up to your lips and play. Make sure your lips are realaxed. Working on scales can really help you out with single notes. Its ok if you mess up just keep going and then go back to the spots your having trouble with. Usually you can just pass them off as chords, but sometimes you want just one note, so you have to work on it. That should get you started. If you have any other questions, just ask and Ill try to help
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Would that be 'oooooh' as in 'oo' or 'o' ....

one feels more comfortable than the other, but doesn't sound quite as well, so I'm in doubt ...

thanks though ;)

oo as in smOOth. I'm trying to type and make the sound at the same time :)
    oo as in smOOth. I'm trying to type and make the sound at the same time :)
    thanks

so basically you kind of pout your lips so they get that whistling stance, right?
    just a little more open...

much appreciated

You got it!!
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    Jamal wrote:
    So, I just got a new harmonica (an Oskar Lee) Diatonic C .

Just wondering if anyone on here could give me some pointers or tunes to try out at a beginner level (ultimate beginner :o)

Just started practicing Dylan's Blowin in the wind.

It's harder thn I thought to get a clear single note every time.
    Is fucking up allowed or do you stop and start over? :s

I really am new to this ... hmmmm
    If you buy G you can play Smile :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Harmonica is fairly easy once you get down the basics.
    You'll end up with tones of them in different keys so you can play whatever song you want.
    A prime example would be that guy from "Blues Traveler."
    He has the vest with all those pockets - each pocket has a different harmonica in it.
    Once you match up the harmonica with the song's key, you're basically home free.
    It doesn't really matter what note you play - it's a free pass to just blow away (again, think about "Blues Traveler" solos).
    He's all over the place - yes he's a good player, but do you think he's being all that exact with what he plays - NO.
    You can't play notes that fast and know what you're playing - if you're matched up it doesn't matter, blow away.
    Another Example -- if the tune is in E-Flat, and you're using the corresponding harmonica, it doesn't matter.
    All the notes on that harmonica are going to be correct (in that key), so there's not a bad note you can play.
    The difficult harmonica's to play are the Chromonica 64's which cover a complete 4-octave range (or the big Chromatic Harmonica's).
    You have to be exact with these to play the correct notes - they have a little slide on the end to change the note to sharp or flat.
    Chromonica 64 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-28064-Chromonica-64-Harmonica?sku=420580
    Chromatic - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-7584-Super-64X-Chromatic-Harmonica?sku=420621
    Here's an expensive one - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hohner-754448-Amadeus-Chromatic-Harmonica?sku=421195
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • casper leblanccasper leblanc Posts: 1,246
    I have a Blues Harp in G and one in C. Wit hthe G I can play along to Hide Your Love Away. And I can also mess around. :)
    thanks guys ...

Still trying to get my technique down first :D
    Man, didn't think it would be so tiring for the mouth :o