Battery

prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm sorry to bring up Metallica here, but I was wondering if I could get any tips of how to play this song well. I can play Master of Puppets with ease, but this one really throws a curve ball at me. Can anyone help out? :) I'd love to have this song down packed.

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    what you want to do is first get yourself massively drunk.

Naty Ice will typically work, but in this case, Budweiser definately calls.
    Then you're going to want to get a wife beater and a bandana and some ripped jeans.

Don't shower for a few weeks, and smother yourself in a Whiskey and Beer diet.

Scream Yeaaaaa with as much growl as possible

Start loving the Jerry Springer show

Associate yourself with White Trash

....and you too could be in Metallicock!

-Seth

sorry, but no tips cause I don't listen to metallica at all, nevertheless, haven't heard the song. my jokes are meant for fun, not insults.
    sorry.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Battery definitely rocks.....

I've never tried to play it sorry :(
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • fuck, i was going to make a metallica joke, but its actually what the thread is about...damn you!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • tbone1tbone1 Posts: 21
    Metranome could help. And lots of work. He!
    Only real stars can rock an arena while sitting down with a notebook and a bottle of wine.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    tbone1 wrote:
    Metranome could help. And lots of work. He!

Well I play with the CD so Lars works well enough, it's more the rythym I think. I've never had such trouble with a song before, I can play it at a slower tempo (roughly) but I still can't nail it. I've been practicing for days now and still can't get it down.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I used to be a huge Metallica freak. Nowadays, not so much.

I DO however, have a pile of official tab books lying about. Metallica really has affected my style quite a bit to be honest. I'd go to my guitar teacher, and ask him how do I PLAY this Metallica song?

What part are you looking at first off?

The opening is totally doable! It might take a little practice as first, but if you can get the rakes and "sweeps" (not real sweeps), down, it'll be a breeze. Gtr. II (Kirk), is playing some odd shapes, but if you have some finger dexterity, you'll get them too. They're not reaches, just awkward at first. I've got dextrous hands from years of guitar, so I can hollar through those shapes. The single note lead is pretty simple. The recorded version has 4 or 5 guitars going, so it sounds huge.

For the fast palm muted part, a metronome is pretty much essential. If you have a good ear, you may be able to get past. Having a good picking hand also helps. Getting the alternate picking going really helps with the speed.

The guitar solo is pure wah pedal. Like most Kirk Hammet solos, it's pretty standard, but not totally required. The double stops at the beginning are a full bend on the G string at the 14th fret and a half tone bend on the B string on the 14th fret. Then there's lots of pull offs going on as he moves around the Pentatonic shape. The solo is pretty standard, except for the last two bars. THOSE still give me trouble. :mad:

I wish I could give you the book. It explains everything and even has a CD with slowed down parts.
  • JSP552003JSP552003 Posts: 222
    big metallica fan...great song...its really not too hard to play....all i can tell you is to keep practicing man and don't give up...you'll get it eventually
    Thanks for all the help so far. I haven't tackled the solo yet, still working on the main riff. I have the official tabs (which is sad 'cause I still can't get it). It's that damn gallop that switches off an on and probably it's a bit fast for me yet (playing 3 years). Can't get a really good technique at it. But I'm improving I think, so that's good news.

Oh and I'm retarded. I forgot to mention I play bass. Cliff does close to the same thing as James and Kirk (I pretty sure) so some guitar tips will still help me. :)
  • tbone1tbone1 Posts: 21
    danny72688 wrote:
    Thanks for all the help so far. I haven't tackled the solo yet, still working on the main riff. I have the official tabs (which is sad 'cause I still can't get it). It's that damn gallop that switches off an on and probably it's a bit fast for me yet (playing 3 years). Can't get a really good technique at it. But I'm improving I think, so that's good news.

Oh and I'm retarded. I forgot to mention I play bass. Cliff does close to the same thing as James and Kirk (I pretty sure) so some guitar tips will still help me. :)

I have a Metallica "how to DVD" that has a ton of those riffs on it. I can't remember the name of it. but they are there.
    Maybe you should try on eof those. Then you can SEE and Hear how it's being done.
    Only real stars can rock an arena while sitting down with a notebook and a bottle of wine.
    tbone1 wrote:
    Then you can SEE and Hear how it's being done.

1000 lightbulbs just lit up... I've never seen Cliff/Jason/Rob play it. I need to find a video of Battery and watch them lay it down. You're a frickin' genious! :D
    I nearly blew a load a few minutes ago. I finally got it! Not the whole song ;), just the part I was working on :D