Best Compressor?

reaching handsreaching hands Posts: 370
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys...i don't want to spend a fortune but what are the best compressors out there?...i need something to tighten up my clean tone for rhythm playing

so whats the best?.....i've been looking at mxr dyna comp/super comp, toadworks mr squishy and Boss Compressor

any help would be great

cheers!

leeds 26/08/06....electric
paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the toadworks, because of it's input gain control. means you can dial it in for different output pickups. the others don't work well with humbuckers i've found.

anyway, of the three you mention. there are tons of others of course.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Keeley, hands down - it has truly become an industry standard.
    Just scroll and read: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8
    I do like my Boss CS-3, but the Keeley is a far better compressor.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Keeley, hands down - it has truly become an industry standard.
    Just scroll and read: http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=8
    I do like my Boss CS-3, but the Keeley is a far better compressor.
    I agree with Ian. I have read a tonne of great things about the Keeley compressor and a lot of pros use it.
    I'm thinking of getting one, some day maybe. I have to find a RMC Custom wah first.
  • I keep on using my DynaComp, and I've always been happy with it. After all, it's the footpedal that predates them all...

But really, I keep waiting for someone to make an honest footpedal out of a real compressor. Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release, Gain, and some LED's for gain reduction. If someone could put the guts of an old DBX 160A into a footpedal box, THAT'S the compressor I'd buy.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • tube pre-amp, tube power amp, tube rectifier... :-)
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • cheers guys...some good pointers

i'm in the price bracket of toadworks-mxr dyna..the keeley looks damn gorgeous and i bet is the mutts nuts but i'd have to save up for alot longer for that baby...i've got regular gigs coming up soon and need something sooner

i use a class a tube amp....am i missing something obvious with getting that really consistant sound?...i mean it sounds really warm and clean with loads of headroom (using a epi sheraton with p-90's) but i just thought i could get an even consistant tone using a compressor....am i right or misslead?

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Barber Tone Press is one to try as well in the 130 dollar range. How much squish do you want?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    Barber Tone Press is one to try as well in the 130 dollar range. How much squish do you want?

this is the thing...i don't completly know....i want to balance out the quiet notes and booming mispicks on quieter songs

has anyone heard of these pedals or used em?

http://www.tonerider.com/effects/compressor.html

• ccpaccpa Posts: 32
    Tone press will do what you are describing. I have one for the exact application you state - for balance when needed. I also use it right before my wah pedal to balance the signal for a solo. Does a great job to my ears.

The tonepress blend knob also will leave your pick attack intact should you dial it back. Never tried the others you speak of but I have heard good things of all of the pedals mentioned. Just depends on application. I skipped the Keeley due to its price.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I recently got the Pigtronix Attack/Sustain after having used the Boss compressor for years. I am still learning the nuances but I dig it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Honestly, the only compressor I'd spend money on besides the DynaComp is the Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter, and it's north of 2 bills. I've tried the Boss comp, and was unimpressed... it had a few more controls than the DynaComp, but I didn't like the tonal character. I feel like I'd probably appreciate the Keeley compressor (it's basically a Keeley-fied DynaComp) but it's also a lot of money for not a lot of knobs. Maybe the fact that I'm also an audio engineer makes me snooty towards guitar compressor pedals... no, that's definitely it.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The two-knob version has these other two adjustments (attack and
    clipping also known as trim on earlier models) on the inside
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/images/other/4KnobComp.jpg
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/images/other/comp_4_knob_close.jpg
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/manuals/keeley_compressor.pdf
    "This pedal has been put against the original gray Ross Compressor, the MXR Dyna-Comp,
    the Ibanez CP9 compressor from the TS9 family of pedals, BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer,
    Carl Martin, Maxon, other Ross clones like the BiCompressor, Joe Meeks, DBX rack mount unit,
    and even computer software compressors."

Seriously, this pedal is nothing like a Dyna-Comp (it may look like a silver
    D/C but it's nothing like it). Not only is it a different circuit, but it's hand
    built. It has a lot more controls/adjustments, it's much more transparent,
    it's hand wired point to point, & it truthfully uses much better components.
    Your tone is your tone - personally I wouldn't buy something just because
    I had $70 and wanted to buy something (why settle). There is absolutely
    nothing wrong with waiting until you can afford a really good compressor
    (after all you've been playing without one for how long now??? So what's
    the rush - there's nothing wrong with waiting a little bit longer).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    The two-knob version has these other two adjustments (attack and
    clipping also known as trim on earlier models) on the inside
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/images/other/4KnobComp.jpg
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/images/other/comp_4_knob_close.jpg
    http://www.robertkeeley.com/manuals/keeley_compressor.pdf
    "This pedal has been put against the original gray Ross Compressor, the MXR Dyna-Comp,
    the Ibanez CP9 compressor from the TS9 family of pedals, BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer,
    Carl Martin, Maxon, other Ross clones like the BiCompressor, Joe Meeks, DBX rack mount unit,
    and even computer software compressors."

Seriously, this pedal is nothing like a Dyna-Comp (it may look like a silver
    D/C but it's nothing like it). Not only is it a different circuit, but it's hand
    built. It has a lot more controls/adjustments, it's much more transparent,
    it's hand wired point to point, & it truthfully uses much better components.
    Your tone is your tone - personally I wouldn't buy something just because
    I had $70 and wanted to buy something (why settle). There is absolutely
    nothing wrong with waiting until you can afford a really good compressor
    (after all you've been playing without one for how long now??? So what's
    the rush - there's nothing wrong with waiting a little bit longer).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

you are quite right, ian....i've been without one for 16 years so a few more months won't really harm will they?...i've seen one or two on ebay aswell as other places and i think if i'm patient i could pick one up at a good price

The Keeley's are based on the classic Ross compressor which is what the original 70's Dyna Comp is based on I believe and they sound different than the current production jim dunlop and the JD's have a pumping volume sound that can be fixed with modification. Keeleys components are significantly more hifi than the Ross version which leads to lower noise on the whole. Any gain effect will increase noise somewhat.

The keeleys are fantastic. Everything I've played from him has been rock solid and I really miss my Keeley Rat so I can vouch for the quality being worth it too.

I would say while you're shopping Keeley to also read up and check out Analogman's Comprosser and Orange Squeezer and try to listen to clips.

Most people generally find they like the Ross Sound or the OS sound or both and the people that don't like either like the Tone Press or the Diamond Compressor which has a few different features.

If you're still hating it. You could check out rack compressors which use Optical circuitry but that's way more expensive. I've used the EH black finger as well which is a tube circuit but I don't think EH's reliability is very high and it's not as good as the Keeley for the money IMHO.

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/compressor.html

http://www.barberelectronics.com

http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm I believe the Keeley and the Analogman pedals to be of similar quality though I believe in the last several years the Keeley is probably more popular.

I believe Aphex has an Opto comp for around 120 as well. I however have no experience.

There also is a remake of the 76 script dynacomp about to be released by JD.. but the cost difference between it and the Keeley will be negligable.

The TCE nova dynamics pedal is worth checking out for the incredible features as is the Attack/Sustain from Pigtronix. I've never used it, but the other Pigtronix stuff has been loads of fun.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I feel like I'd probably appreciate the Keeley compressor (it's basically a Keeley-fied DynaComp) but it's also a lot of money for not a lot of knobs. Maybe the fact that I'm also an audio engineer makes me snooty towards guitar compressor pedals... no, that's definitely it.

haha.. I have a Keeley, and they are definitely worth the money... but I hear what you're saying. It's no Fairchild 670;)
    Lately I've been trying out different 500 series compressors... I just bought a lunchbox and am looking to start filling it up.:D
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Hey, if I had the scratch, I'd be using a UA 1176 and/or an LA-2A. I just wanna know where my threshold is in relation to the guitar's output, and the ratio and attack so I know how hard and how squashed the signal is. I have no doubt the Keeley Comp puts my old DynaComp to shame (after all, I have his two TS-9 mods), but it doesn't give me the controls I want. It still has one knob that lowers threshold while increasing ratio. I can get a dbx 266 used for half the price of the Keeley, and have all the controls and LED monitoring that I want. I just can't put a 1U rack unit on my pedalboard, or engage it with a footswitch. So, I'm okay with my $50 MXR for now, and we'll see if someone finally puts out a good compressor.

Besides, I use the effect fairly subtly, so I don't feel the need to get a fancy-shmancy pedal to do what my MXR does just fine. I like a little pump in the signal and a little boost for some clean single-note runs, that's pretty much it. The rest is in the amp, the other gain stages, and my hands. If you're a chicken-pickin Nashville guy, then a $200-300 compressor makes a lot more sense (and yet how many of those guys still use the MXR?).
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    time to built teh huge rackz.
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LA2A yeah, this works with the PP2 RIGHT?

I always thought soft knee compression meant that you weren't being tortured.

My Shannon comp has a gain control. Booyakasha!
  • exhausted wrote:
    time to built teh huge rackz.

Oh, yes.... believe me, I've had some mad David Evans envy over the years...

TC Electronics delay, Evantide harmonics, Lexicon for multi-FX, and Yamaha SPX for 'verbs. Maybe use a UA LA-610 for a preamp and compressor.

Hell, while I'm at it, maybe I can find a vintage plate reverb in servicable shape, and hire a small crew of roadies to transport it for me...