does anybody else own a Marshall JCM 900 (dual reverb gain)2x12 combo 4101 valve amp?

reaching handsreaching hands Posts: 370
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i was just intrested really?, i bought mine about 6 years ago for a decent price before i really knew whats what with amps and i must say i really have fallen in love with this amp since i went to try a BD2 on a Fender Deluxe amp and i swear i got the same tone as my amp so i handed the pedal back to the assistant and walked out the shop feeling smug.

i used to own a really old peavey tube amp, 2 channels, no gain but an imbuilt phaser!!?!?!?!!, i'd love to still own it now but i thnink my old band mates have since took it apart and pissed off with the celestion speakers when i moved away 5 years ago, .....i'm becoming an equipment junkie again and i love it!

my mistake its a 4102 model

leeds 26/08/06....electric
paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    i was just intrested really?, i bought mine about 6 years ago for a decent price before i really knew whats what with amps and i must say i really have fallen in love with this amp since i went to try a BD2 on a Fender Deluxe amp and i swear i got the same tone as my amp so i handed the pedal back to the assistant and walked out the shop feeling smug.

i used to own a really old peavey tube amp, 2 channels, no gain but an imbuilt phaser!!?!?!?!!, i'd love to still own it now but i thnink my old band mates have since took it apart and pissed off with the celestion speakers when i moved away 5 years ago, .....i'm becoming an equipment junkie again and i love it!
    I own a JCM900 in head form - I even have the matching "FULL-STACK" (top & bottom) to go with it.
    But I honestly never use the amp anymore - thus I loaned it to a friend last tour (funny, I haven't seen it since last year).
    It's not that it's not a nice amp; it just got to the point where I’d rather use one of my other amps
    (Fender Super Reverb, Bogner Shiva, THD UniValve or Rivera Fandango) because of their versatility.
    I got it in the mid 90's when I started playing, and used it for a year straight - then shelved it.
    I'm glad to hear that other people like this amp.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • yeah, i must admit until i really realised its full potential i was thinkin of saving for a fender deluxe but after messing with my tone i've got a sound im happy with, you don't normally get this with marshalls, i don't know how people can live with solidstates, i remember using them in college and thinking back all i could get was a thin metal tone.

i love my jcm :)

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

• I had the 50w head and 4x12 cabinet until about a year ago. I really liked it, but I found it to be a one trick kind of amp. It had a great distorted tone, and especially with the LP custom, that true rock guitar sound. However, there were a few tonal things that I didn't like, and I wanted to upgrade but stay in the same family of amps. Sooo, I got an Orange AD30TC, and have been smitten ever since. I do miss the Marshall, but my brother has it now, so I can visit every other weekend...
    What ain't a country I ever heard of. Do they speak English in what?
  • i have the 50w head that i used for about 3 years as my main amp. i love the way it sounds but it was very trebly, especially with a higher gain setting and when using a wah for solos. i used to have my treble setting at one because it was so gainey. the only reason i am not using it as my main amp right now is because i came across a 1994 matchless clubman a few months ago.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • i seem to have that classic pj overdrive sound like on undone, black red yellow, sad etc comin out of my jcm 900 at the mo and i'm loving it, i'm picking up a couple of pedals today to play with and i'm genuinly getting excited about playin again now i have 'the tone'(i've been playin for 15yrs and just recently lost direction with it all)

i've found having most settings on mid and presence on full with a guitar with p-90's gets that beautiful warm feel that you can here on pj records.

• I have a JCM 2000 head, and want to trade to a JCM 900 head. Sound on the 900 is awesome. Marshall definately kicks Fenders ass. I had 3 Fenders before I settled on my Marshall, and will never buy a Fender amp again.
    Walking is still honest
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I have a JCM 2000 head, and want to trade to a JCM 900 head. Sound on the 900 is awesome. Marshall definately kicks Fenders ass. I had 3 Fenders before I settled on my Marshall, and will never buy a Fender amp again.
    Well, that's completely open to interpretation.
    You can't get the same sounds out of a Fender that you can with a Marshall, but then again Marshall's don't sound like a Fenders.
    For a really CLEAN sound I prefer a Fender Super-Reverb (IMHO it's the best clean available).
    For those real crisp hard OD tones Fender can't cut it, hence a Marshall works much better.
    Now, my Bogner can get "both" clean Fender and OD Marshall tones.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I have a JCM 2000 head, and want to trade to a JCM 900 head. Sound on the 900 is awesome. Marshall definately kicks Fenders ass. I had 3 Fenders before I settled on my Marshall, and will never buy a Fender amp again.

It's funny, I have read that a Marshall Plexi is exactly a Bassman with EL84's instead of 6L6.

There a a bunch of different amps out there that will do both and then some !!

I'm with you on the need for crunchy OD though. I am getting very close to trading my Lonestar on another Dual Rectifier. There is nothing those suckers won't do !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    It's funny, I have read that a Marshall Plexi is exactly a Bassman with EL84's instead of 6L6.

There a a bunch of different amps out there that will do both and then some !!

I'm with you on the need for crunchy OD though. I am getting very close to trading my Lonestar on another Dual Rectifier. There is nothing those suckers won't do !!

You're thinking of the JTM 45, but you're right on otherwise (doubt if plexi's and jtm's are that different anyway). Another huge factor in the 'marshall sound' is the 12 inch celestions (versus the 10 inch jensens)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    You're thinking of the JTM 45, but you're right on otherwise (doubt if plexi's and jtm's are that different anyway). Another huge factor in the 'marshall sound' is the 12 inch celestions (versus the 10 inch jensens)

That's interesting, cos my quad has 12" greenbacks, and I can get that Marshall crunch so easily. The triamp has two channels voiced for it, one "british clean" and teh other "british crunch". I wonder how much the cab has to do with that ?? I have never run it through anything else to know. I might hook the BAd CAt up to teh quad today too, to se ewhat that sounds like. I'm thinking GOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Music is not a competetion.