Boss DS2 turbo Distortion pedal...need advice

reaching handsreaching hands Posts: 370
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
right, im looking to invest in a boss dd5 or a dd6 delay pedal but i fancy a boss distotion pedal to boost solos etc, anyone own one of these, what kind of sound can you get out of one?

leeds 26/08/06....electric
paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Yeah I have one of these pedals as my main distortion and I mostly keep it on the rhythm setting (because I'm mostly a rhythm guitarist) and It is good for "grunge" music especially if you like feedback it is a very strong pedal and takes awhile to find the setting that works for you. The lead setting also works very well. I like it but I know a lot of people that do not.
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    John Frusciante uses it (chorus of Dani California). So does Dave Navarro. I tried it in the store and wasn't that impressed actually. But I'm sure it would sound awesome with my rig.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I had a DS-1, I sold it because I tried it for ten seconds through my new amp and didn't like it, wouldn't mind fiddiling with it a bit... Sounded awesome through my old amp though (solid state). Definitley a good pedal.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    The DS-1 is a GREAT distortion pedal. I use it(got it during my Nirvana phase). I got really use it for a boost(that's what the BD-2 is for which is also great for solo's). What yourself on with the jacks because the crap out sometimes.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    just grab a tube screamer man. boss blues drivers are a pretty sweet deal as well.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    just grab a tube screamer man. boss blues drivers are a pretty sweet deal as well.
    Agree'd - the Boss Blues Driver BD-2 is a very nice pedal.
    I'd say to get a Boss BD-2 or an Ibanez TS-9 before a Boss Turbo Distortion DS-2.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Just get a OCD, and thank me later!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    The cool thing about the BD-2 is that it is VERY Versatile. It's got great overdrive and it can even bet set to some HEAVY distortion.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    The cool thing about the BD-2 is that it is VERY Versatile. It's got great overdrive and it can even bet set to some HEAVY distortion.

Especially when you get it modded by Keeley.
    Yeah, having the Keeley mod is what Mike does. Since I'm about to drop $280 on a diamond ring for my girlfriend and being a college student, it'll be a while before I can send it in :(
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    This is from Keeley's own site: Keeley seems to think the BD-2 Blues Driver is better than the TS9

- The BD-2 Phat Mod is Transparent Overdrive with Full Range sound
    - For tone-purists, this is it!
    - It's not simply a distortion pedal but rather a tone tool that adds to your guitar tone,
    supplying really nice lows, crystal clear high frequency, great picking response and detail.
    - For those wanting to set their amp on fire but not change the tone of their system, this is the pedal.
    - The BD-2 is not the same as a TS9 pedal. It has a more FULL-RANGE sound and is much more TRANSPARENT.
    - When cranked it offers a grittier/more-edgy tone.
    ***After our mods it’s a remarkable tube-amp enhancer/simulator!***
    - The BD-2 is very DYNAMIC and works wonders with the volume control on your guitar.
    - You can control all the drive you want by setting the BD-2 Gain high and using your volume control to instantly dial in the rest.

** WOW, Keeley seems to think the BD-2 Blues Driver is better than the TS9
    "it has more FULL-RANGE sound and is much more TRANSPARENT."
    Well I do like my BD-2 better than my TS9 (more versatile), no wonder

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • thanks to all that helped, i picked up my dd6 for 70 gbp and i'm looking at a blues driver or ts, thanks guys

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • Whatever pedal it is, it will sound different depending on how good your amp is. Frusciante, Navarro, Gossard, McCready, all get good sounds from their overdrive and distortion pedals because they use expensive tube amps. Bear this in mind before you buy a pedal and expect to get amazing tone; it's all about the amp.
    Yeah, that's true-it also depends on yor skill and your guitar. I'm pretty much saying this with everyone knowing it but, you can't buy something like a TS-9 and expect to sound like McCready-I know I'm stating the obvious but at least it's out there. PLUS, it's cool to find your own tone/sound