amp dilemma, can anyone help?jcm or vc30?

reaching handsreaching hands Posts: 370
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I own and have used a jcm900 4102 100watt combo for 7 years and recently found a bargain laney vc30 for a daft, low, amount of cash.

I love the sound of the VC30; really clear definition, very loud, plenty of punch

the jcm900, like my trusty steed has been my gigging amp, but i don't find her as punchy as the vc30 but still a class tube amp.

i have recently harnessed the two together to use the laney as a clean channel and the jcm as my gain channels, but at the moment the transistion between the two 'channels' is not as smooth sounding.

should i sell the jcm as shes worth a few quid? (the vc is too) but the laney hasn't got the best gain channel, has anyone used a laney with a ts9 or a BD2 and does it cut it?

or do i keep them both?

i'm tempted to try and sell the jcm and buy a nice jap tele as i only play a squire at the mo.

please help me my esteemed music colleagues!!?!??????

leeds 26/08/06....electric
paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    I'm from the school of thought that you should try to avoid selling any piece of gear if you've *ever* gotten a sound out of it that you liked. More likely than not someday you will find yourself going back to it in your mind "Remember that sound I got with the...." If you sell "The" you're just going to wind up kicking yourself.

Them's my two cents. Good luck.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm wiht IdGot

NEVER SELL ANYTHING.......... unless you really, really really hate it !!!

Never sell anything you like even a bit.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm wiht IdGot

NEVER SELL ANYTHING.......... unless you really, really really hate it !!!

Never sell anything you like even a bit.

Haha, you know what? I've been thinking about selling my Godin but after hearing this, I think I'll keep her (I wanna buy an Epi Joe Perry Les Paul, just because I want a LP as a 'number 2' guitar, and it has Burstbuckers).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I made this my golden rule after selling my Mesa Dual Rectifier last year for no good reason. I figured I could pick up another anytime, well 6 months later, I'm still waiting for one that I want to come up on ebay.
    MOst times I deal with not having one, but every tomie I hear James tone I nearly die with envy.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Sorry to HiJack your thread, but damn now I gotta wait for the LP.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    If you're not digging the Marshall as much as the VC I'd say to go ahead and sell it.
    You can always get another 900 (those 90's Marshalls are a dime a dozen).
    As far as overdrive, depends if you usually use a pedal for your overdrive, or the amp itself.
    I think you'll probably get a better clean from the VC.
    And if you typically use a pedal for your OD then there's a 2nd reason to sell the 900.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    I've heard the VC30 with both a TS-808 and a BD-2 when I was contemplating buying one. Both sounded good to me but certainly nothing like a JCM-900's dirty channel. There are plenty of pedals out there that do a fairly convincing "Marshall-in-a-box" kind of thing, it's just not those two. You'd be better off with an MXR Distortion+ than either of those.
  • i think i'm even more confused now!lol, i want to try the vc30 with a ts9 or bd2 as i use the jcm for gain, never have used a pedal.

i get like this all the time when i'm sat on a little bit of 'collateral' in my belongings.

what tempts me is i've seen a couple go for twice the amount i paid for it 7 years ago, not to mention the vc30 only cost me £90 (bargain!)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/vedderlookedatme/ebay052.jpg
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/vedderlookedatme/ebay056.jpg
    http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/vedderlookedatme/ebay053.jpg

she is real purdy, i actually bought her with a view to sell,

im on the verge of joining a band so i could see how the two harness together in a live situation.

think i need to join a band cos i'm feelin a little smart arsed having two combo's as a bedroom rig! lol :)

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
    o man, don't worry about having too much gear to play in your bedroom.
    if i was worried about that, i would have to sell everytihing, then i'd be bored and buy it all back again.
    it's a pretty cheap hobby, feel no shame !!

with regard to the jcm 900, maybe you caould pick one up again, but would you ??

never sell anything !!!!