been offered a flying v in exchange for my marshall jcm900, deal or no deal?

reaching handsreaching hands Posts: 370
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
im currently selling my marshall jcm900 100watt 4102 combo and i've been offered a swap for a 2002 gibson flying v (1/2 moon inlay crescent) faded '67 re-issue, not massivly clued up over flying v's, any clue anyone?

leeds 26/08/06....electric
paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• no way in hell I'd do it....but I'm not big on flying v's
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Is it like the regular v or the cheaper one?

If you like the guitar, and don't really need the money, go for it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,166
    i have both. i would say to play the v before agreeing to anything.

i use my jcm 900 sparingly. it was my main gigging amp for 4 years or so but because i now have a matchless i don't play the marshall really at all anymore. i have not played my v in ages because i have an sg, les paul standard and les paul custom that blow the v out of the water. the v takes a little getting used to but they are cool guitars, are light, and sound great.

if it were me i would keep the jcm 900 because they aren't making them anymore. you can Always get a v later because they are so prevalent. i think the v would lose its value before the amp because the faded series is already cheeper than what you probably paid for the amp. i would not trade if it were my decision but thas just my $.02

let us know what you decide to do.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • i've already decided, i'm gonna sell my jcm 900 ( i need the cash, really), i don't think it would be wise to do the swap, even though its a gibson, the general market for them looks 'too cheap'.

i'm gonna be playing through a laney vc30 class a tube amp so i need to spend some money on a distortion pedal as the gain doesn't stretch too far but i just love the beefy sound it has.

there, case closed :)

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Good call. If you still want the Marshall sound out of a pedal, check out the Z.Vex Box of Rock.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Yeah, sell the JCM instead of doing the trade - the V's really not worth it.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Novawind wrote:
    Good call. If you still want the Marshall sound out of a pedal, check out the Z.Vex Box of Rock.

Yah, everyone else is joining me on teh Box of Rock train !!
    Music is not a competetion.
    Yah, everyone else is joining me on teh Box of Rock train !!

i got a box of rock last night and its amazing. makes my matchless sound like a monster vintage marshall, but i still get the matchless tone with the pedal off. its NICE!!

• box of rock looks cool!, hope it'b worth all those pennies!!

can any one tell me what pedals were used on no code?, i just love the dirty sound through those gibsons on hail hail etc

i'm looking at an mxr dist+, anyone got one?

i'm looking at an mxr dist+, anyone got one?

try guitar center or musiciansfriend.com. i was an GC 2 weeks ago and most of the MXR stuff was on sale. i think that one was less than $100.