learning guitar advice

Sleight_Of_HandSleight_Of_Hand Posts: 58
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi guys. Ive been learning electric guitar for a couple of months now teaching myself using various stuff available on the net (I would get a teacher but i cant afford to at the moment). So far i am able to play various bits of songs and simple riffs and stuff, ive spent most of my time learning the open chords and also barre chords but I need to practice them more to increase speed changing between them. Also, ive been playing around with power chords and stuff quite a lot. The thing is I dont really know where to go from here, I dont know what stuff to learn next to progress to the next step of guitar playing. Obviously I need to keep practicing the stuff I mentioned above to improve speed and stuff and to improve my rhythm but what other exercises should I be practicing to improve my playing?

Im at one of those points where I sort of feel stuck in a rut u know? So id appreciate ur advice.

Cheers in advance
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I find that Metallica is the best for learning technique. Hetfields parts are rhythm, but not just strum de strum. Try and get teh printed tabs with timing info, or you probably won't play it right.
    Songs to try are NOthing Else MAtters, One (has EVERYTHING in it, from dead simple into to hell solo), SAnitarium, get a metronome adn learn Master of Puppets, at 60bpm, then slowly increase, best training ever !!
    Hero of the DAy, teh list goes on, learn the intro to Sweet Child of Mine
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Thanks for the reply mate, I'll check out those songs u mentioned. Anyone else got any useful advice for teaching myself guitar such as helpful websites and stuff?
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Start learning as many types of scales that you can (major, minor, pentatonic, blues, etc), backwards and forwards. Start out doing them slow, and then speed up, making sure that each note is still ringing clearly.