out of curiosity

Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
how many of you use also the baby finger while playing the guitar, and how many just index, medium and ring fingers?
www.amnesty.org
www.amnesty.org.uk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Puck78 wrote:
    how many of you use also the baby finger while playing the guitar, and how many just index, medium and ring fingers?

I use all of my fingers except my pinky finger on my picking hand.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Pinky (little finger) - Which hand are we talking about here?

Picking Hand (for hybrid/finger picking): I never use my pinky.

Fretting Hand: I use my pinky in almost every passage that I play.
    I honestly don't know any decent players that don't use their pinky.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Yeah, using the pinky is pretty important on the fretting hand. I don't really see how you can be efficient and not use it.

Actually, as I get to the higher parts of the fretboard (like 12th fret and beyond) I find that I use my pinky less and less as the frets get closer and closer together. Is that bad technique?
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, using the pinky is pretty important on the fretting hand. I don't really see how you can be efficient and not use it.

Actually, as I get to the higher parts of the fretboard (like 12th fret and beyond) I find that I use my pinky less and less as the frets get closer and closer together. Is that bad technique?
    +1

I don't use it as much as I SHOULD, but that's improving.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    On my fretting hand, I use my pinky all the time. I don't see how you can't.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    my pinky is my weakest finger I use it quite a bit obviously you have to in most cases but it's also a reason I'm not as good a player as I want to be.

I need to get in for lessons and work on finger strengthening as Ian says, no good players essentially have weak hands.

I do use my index ring and middle fingers higher up on the fret board but it's primarily a cause from not taking lessons learning to play on my own and having generally terrible form.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I honestly don't know any decent players that don't use their pinky.
    k.
    d.
    cobain.
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
    Puck78 wrote:
    k.
    d.
    cobain.
    No offence or anything, but he REALLY wasn't a great player at all.

Great songwriter, absoutley.

Great guitar player, no.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Keeponrockin is right. Cobain was an incredible songwriter and good all round musician but he actually admitted he wasn't a great guitar player at all. A lot of people here are technically better than he was.
    Jam10 wrote:
    Keeponrockin is right. Cobain was an incredible songwriter and good all round musician but he actually admitted he wasn't a great guitar player at all. A lot of people here are technically better than he was.
    However, I'd trade all guitar playing ability I have to write songs as well as he could.
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    I broke a phalange in my fretting little finger. Using it for rehab was great. Now I use it all the time. Except the bone healed out of position so I can't use it to barre anything but, whatever.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I have tiny hands...I MUST use my pinky
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    DOSW wrote:

I'm the same as you. To anyone starting out, you have to keep practicing and it does get easier. I don't have problems once i hit the 12th but my hand's aren't that big either.

It all just comes down to practice and lots of it. People say it's personal preference but don't listen to them. It's not. It's technique. You've just got to realize that easier is not always best and you'll be thankful for that in the end. Your playing will be so much freeer and cleaner.

Edited because i can't spell.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jam10 wrote:
    He did. He knew that he wasn't that great a player. Now his skills as a songwriter. Oh man. Pure awesomeness. Absolutely brilliant.
  • I use all ten fingers. At times I sound like I'm using ten thumbs.
  • yeah even as a rhythm player i use my left pinky all of the time. i am not sure how anyone can play a blues lick without it. once you incorporate the pinky on the fret hand you will notice that you are a more effecient player.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    He did. He knew that he wasn't that great a player. Now his skills as a songwriter. Oh man. Pure awesomeness. Absolutely brilliant.
    oh well, maybe he wasn't playing 10 minutes solos, etc, but i'd pay to play sets like he was doing...
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
    yeah even as a rhythm player i use my left pinky all of the time. i am not sure how anyone can play a blues lick without it. once you incorporate the pinky on the fret hand you will notice that you are a more effecient player.
    Ya, I'm not going to lie, I don't use the pinky all I should (weakness) but I'm improving that skill.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    I use mine a lot, but I find ways of playing scales without using it :o .
    Its easy for me though, I got big hands, I can reach the 7th fret with my pinky while still holing down the 1st :D . Not really worth bragging about, but still I will. :D
    But I do slack off a bit.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Snake wrote:
    I got big hands, I can reach the 7th fret with my pinky while still holing down the 1st :D .

You've used that line on a female before haven't you? :)
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    I have tiny hands...I MUST use my pinky

yep, same here. very small hands.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Snake wrote:
    Its easy for me though, I got big hands, I can reach the 7th fret with my pinky while still holing down the 1st :D . Not really worth bragging about, but still I will. :D
    I've got fairly average sized hands, but I can do that ;)
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>