making the switch - acoustic to electric (need help)

steve3434steve3434 Posts: 9
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey folks-

this past year i taught myself to play guitar. it hasn't been easy, but i've got all my scales, chord progressions, basic and barre chords and some good songs under my belt. i started pretty late in life (i'm 20 and at college), but i really love it and can't go a day without picking up the guitar now. i've also been working a lot on learning music theory.

anyway, i stuck the last year out on a crummy ibanez acoustic (one of those starter kit ones), but now i'm ready to go electric, as that is what i've always wanted to play. none of my friends are too musical, i don't have a teacher, and nobody in my family plays, so i need some advice.

basically i play a lot of classic rock...tom petty, neil young, floyd, dylan, dead, and some newer stuff like my morning jacket

i've been saving for a while so my budget for the guitar is around $200-500ish, plus a practice amp whatever that may be. i think it would be a waste to start on a starter kit/beginner guitar now, especially b/c i am advancing more quickly now, but i don't want something out of my league. just a nice reliable something.

any suggestions b/c i really don't know where to start

yamaha ? squier ? fender ? epiphone ? what's the scoop
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments