Dirty Strings

Thin HairThin Hair Posts: 67
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any advise on how to keep guitar strings clean. Mine seem to get dirty very quickly and i have to change them so often its becomming expensive. Wasnt sure if there were any products out there or if anyone had any tips they could share?
' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• This may not be something you're looking for, but wash your hands before picking up your guitar. It'll stay way clearer longer. Hope that helps.
  • Leo86Leo86 Posts: 165
    http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Catalogue/ViewProduct.aspx?productId=55

these are what i use. you can clean the strings and the fretboard with them
    Dublin 23/08/06
    Wembley 18/06/07
  • danny72688 wrote:
    This may not be something you're looking for, but wash your hands before picking up your guitar. It'll stay way clearer longer. Hope that helps.

+1
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • +1

duece.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    this doesnt refer to the strings, but i have never washed the fretboard on my mexi strat(dont worry, i have on my good guitars), and i like the grimy feel lol
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    i like old strings. when they get gunked up i just take a dry rag and wipe em off.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Your hands contain acids, oils, old skin, and dirt - this stuff deposits onto and into your strings, thus your strings will corrode faster if you don't wipe them down after playing.
    Some of the easiest things to do are:
    -- Play with clean hands
    -- Wipe your strings down when you're done (just keep a spare cloth in your case, and when you go to put the guitar back just wipe the strings down). I do this, and then lay the cloth down over the strings in the case. I recommend the black finish cloth by "Dunlop" because you can wash it when it gets dirty, and it doesn't fray. It's a little more $$, but it's worth it - here's what it looks like: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=guitar&base_pid=425279&index=0
    -- I also recommend getting pure Nickel wound strings because they last longer than steel, and don't corrode as fast - I use DR-Pure-Blues - I think they're really the best string for the $$$ (Ernie ball strings suck).
    -- I recommend changing your strings about every 10-hrs of playing time (just like changing the oil in your car every 3 months or 3,000 miles) - you'll get easier playability and better tone if you just bite the bullet and change your strings consistently. I change mine about every 3-days - it's really worth it if tone and playability matter to you.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • wise words of advice from all, many thanks fellow players. My main problem was washing my strings with soapy water and even though i dried them they tended to rust. Never thought of playing with clean hands though.
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Your hands contain acids, oils, old skin, and dirt - this stuff deposits onto and into your strings, thus your strings will corrode faster if you don't wipe them down after playing.
    -- Play with clean hands
    -- Wipe your strings down when you're done (just keep a spare cloth in your case, and when you go to put the guitar back just wipe the strings down). I do this, and then lay the cloth down over the strings in the case. I recommend the black finish cloth by "Dunlop" because you can wash it when it gets dirty, and it doesn't fray. It's a little more $$, but it's worth it - here's what it looks like: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&g=guitar&base_pid=425279&index=0
    -- I also recommend getting pure Nickel wound strings because they last longer than steel, and don't corrode as fast - I use DR-Pure-Blues - I think they're really the best string for the $$$ (Ernie ball strings suck).
    -- I recommend changing your strings about every 10-hrs of playing time (just like changing the oil in your car every 3 months or 3,000 miles) - you'll get easier playability and better tone if you just bite the bullet and change your strings consistently. I change mine about every 3-days - it's really worth it if tone and playability matter to you.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

You change your stings that often? Do you play live?

I change the strings on my acoustics every 6-7 months.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Lighter Fluid!
    It is the best way to clean your strings and it is cheap.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Ditto- I only change the strings on my Mexi Strat about... once every 4 months? I use GHS fast fret before and after I play, and I generally play with clean hands. Other than that I don't use any type of cleaner or polish, should I?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    careful of the dirty g-string.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    -- Play with clean hands
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

I agree with all of that. Great post.
  • mca47 wrote:
    You change your stings that often? Do you play live?

I change the strings on my acoustics every 6-7 months.

Very likely, this is advice for a gigging or recording musician, I'd say. You'd want your playing to sound crisp and professional, each time.

I'm always restringing my twelve string, even though I'm not gigging until December. If I didn't, the strings would just sound too dead, for my liking, whether I cleaned them or not.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    -- Play with clean hands
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

That's awesome info, I actually use the exact same strings (and hate Ernie Balls with a passion)

Snake Oil Brand Strings are nice and long lasting too.

Currently I'm waiting on getting new locking tuners in my Strat so I can change more often and more rapidly. I hate changing strings. Retail ready fire and ice walk inventory at guitar center still gives me nightmares. "12 strings? No body restrung the 12 strings!?!! It's 4AM and we still have to finish the pro audio room!!! NOOOOOO!"
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    "12 strings? No body restrung the 12 strings!?!! It's 4AM and we still have to finish the pro audio room!!! NOOOOOO!"

There are still times, after all these years of playing a 12 string, that I'll have a mental blip and put the low and octave strings on, the wrong way around.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    mca47 - to answer your question . . .

Yes, on my electric guitar I change my strings that often (that's just when I'm practicing). Within 3-days of practice I've usually put in about 12-hrs of play, so the strings get changed. However, it's still a good rule of thumb to change strings about every 10-hours of play, even if you're not gigging. I tell my guitar students this all the time, and most change their strings every 2 or 3 weeks (or I kind of get on them about it :) )

I still change electric strings for every gig or recording session. Last month I had to change my strings every day because I was busy every day with either a session or gig. Luckily I'm slowing down a little bit this month by only gigging once or twice a week (but I still practice every day, and I still have a recording session here and there). I sometimes get lazy if I have a session and a gig in the same day, and I won't change my strings between them. DR. "Pure Blues" are currently my electric string of choice. Remember . . . Ernie Ball strings kinda suck - even though EB says they have many artist endorsements, I don't know any artist that uses them (maybe in the beginning of their career, until they realized that there were better strings on the market). EB just gives away strings like air, so I think that's the only reason they have any artist endorsements at all (and most of the people on their packages don't even use their strings anymore).

ACOUSTIC:
    Funny, three years ago I was on an acoustic tour, and I played 4-hours a night, 5 nights a week (Tues-Sat), which is brutal (and even harder on your strings). When I was on tour I changed my acoustic strings every two gigs. Luckily my TAYLOR endorsement worked me out an ELIXIR endorsement (they sent me a 12x24 cardboard box full of strings - I use an odd "Custom-Light" gauge). Yes, changing Elixir strings that often would have broken the bank if not for the endorsement.

Currently, I try to make my acoustic Elixirs last 2-weeks (unless I have an acoustic gig that week). I still change them every two gigs or two weeks (whichever comes first). Luckily I don't have as many acoustic gigs anymore. I'd say if you primarily play acoustic, try to change them "at least" once a month.

Anyhow, I hope this answers your question about if I really change my strings that often - Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • by the way: ian is nuts! yeah i change my electric string probly once a week, i was in a bad habit of only changing broken ones, but i love the brilliance you get with new strings after about an hour of playing.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    one other thing that I do is get some cotton balls and some rubbing alcohol. wet the cotton and pinch the string with it and move it up and down the string. it makes a terrible squeeking sound but it cleans the strings right up and makes them sound better.

*disclaimer* I have no idea what rubbing alcohol could or might do to your guitars fretboard or finish, so far hasn't given me any trouble.
  • I usually change them every 4-6 weeks get a GHS Fast Fret...cleans the strings, gives you that new string feel, and the strings last much longer
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    GHS Fast Fret works great.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1