looking for a gtr

SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I play lefty (a little over a year), so I haven't been able to mess around with anything, so I ask all of you for some assistance. I will be in Houston this week and there is a gtr store for lefties which I would like to get to.

I have an fender cd 140 slh acoustic and was wondering if I should upgrade to an acoustic electric or just go electric? Would like one with as little action as possible in the 300-700 $ range.

Thanx
See this needle...a see my hand...
Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
Turn me up...won't turn you away...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    depends on what you like to play. if you play mostly acoustic stuff, then upgrade. if not, find an electric in that price range. try out a lot of different ones. I would try out Fender, Epiphone, Jackson, Washburn, and I think there are some other lesser known brands in that range like Mike Kelly Guitars, etc. I personally think guitars with 2 humbuckers are more versatile than guitars with single coils, but that's all preference I guess. I also feel a $600 Jackson is better than a $600 Fender or Epiphone. but again, preference. what kind of music do you play primarily?
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    I assume you're going to Southpaw Guitars. They have an awsome selection! You'll see that lefties aren't forgotten when you go there.

As for the guitar, I agree with MLC. It's all up to you. You could even keep the acoustic and get an electric. That way you'll have both.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If you can find one, check out a Standard Tele. This sounds like you, just a gut feeling.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/7/8/327478.jpg
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • SBC03SBC03 Posts: 502
    Ya, going to southpaw. I think I may be overwhelmed though.

I am leaning towards the tele, I think I try to play more blues riffs.
    I try to play some PJ, kinks, AIC, eagles,LZ, screaming trees, Rick Springfield- stuff I can play on the acoustic. Been into soundgarden lately and just put lesser known who and kiss songs on the pod. Have also been thinking lessons leaning towards the blues

wanted some info before i made a purchase.

Is there a major difference between usa and mex?

Model year?

edit: Any good record stores in Houston?
    See this needle...a see my hand...
    Drop drop dropping it down...oh so gently...
    Well here it comes...I touch the plane...
    Turn me up...won't turn you away...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Model year isn't that important. USA/Mex difference is a noticeable increase in quality for American Fenders, but you're going to pay about $600 more than you would for a Mexican one of the same looks. If it's your first electric, I'd say you'd be fine with a Mexican one. I have a Mexican Strat and it's served me well for the last 2+ years.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    Yes, the big difference is build quality. My American Deluxe Strat plays about a million times better than my mexi-strat. Since you're new to the world of lefty electrics, just a few tips....we get the shaft on color choices, and, most guitar companies charge $50-$100 extra for left hand. Luckily, there are some companies like Martin and Fender who don't charge extra for lefty! Gibson is on my bad list though, as they only offer Les Paul's in boring black and that nasty cherry sunburst color!