Which Tele>

chris01chris01 Posts: 559
edited September 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Not tele-vision before any smart ass comes out with that one. :p

Ive had an Epi LP for a few years now but ive never really liked it.

Also (and this might be crucial in picking a Tele) i have my old Encore guitar which ive been playing alot recently, mainly because of the neck, it feels alot more comfortable in my hands.

The reason i dont like the Epi is the sound, its a bit too thick for my liking, i prefer the twang.

Umm, thats about it, lol.... i just need suggestions.

Got about £500 (yes pounds not dollars) to spend.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I dunno, i always find it hard to give advice because at the end of the day it's gonna come down to what feels good for you, what look you like and what sound you're after. I've got a '72 Custom reissue. It's got a humbucker in the neck, but still has the singlecoil in the bridge. It's the best of both worlds. They are prolly around $80-100 euro more than you want to spend though but you may be able to pick one up cheaper.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0137502306
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I could probably go the extra money, selling my Epi and Xbox360 i never play to make up the money so i could throw a lil extra in if i need to.

I was thinking the humbucker and single coil might be a good was to go.

Thanks for the advice. :)
    Ordered a '72 Custom. Got it for £450 so pretty pleased. All the reviews ive read on it say its an awesome guitar, but the humbucker can sound muddy at times.
    Hoping it will be here by the end of the week so i can have something to do this weekend. :D
  • used G&L Bluesboy
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • chris01 wrote:
    Ordered a '72 Custom. Got it for £450 so pretty pleased. All the reviews ive read on it say its an awesome guitar, but the humbucker can sound muddy at times.
    Hoping it will be here by the end of the week so i can have something to do this weekend. :D

Nice guitar! If the humbucker is too muddy, then someday you can change it out to a Duncan PAF or something like that. Enjoy!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Get to a store and try out a whole bunch of teles in your price range. There are lots of subtle differences between them. Some will be to your liking and others not. A Mexican 50's classic or a Highway 1 would be great choices too.
    Get to a store and try out a whole bunch of teles in your price range. There are lots of subtle differences between them. Some will be to your liking and others not. A Mexican 50's classic or a Highway 1 would be great choices too.

Ive already bought the '72 Custom one.

If i could get to a music store i would, there's only one near me and it sucks.

Hoping it'll get here today, anyway, thanks.
  • chris01 wrote:
    Ive already bought the '72 Custom one.

If i could get to a music store i would, there's only one near me and it sucks.

Hoping it'll get here today, anyway, thanks.

Oh well, enjoy the Custom.
  • Enjoy the Custom. Hope it comes today!

If the Humbucker IS too muddy, you can also change the capacitor on it. I think they come with a 250,000k but you can put a 500,000k in there or different values and that may make it pop, too!

But rock on first, and worry about that stuff later! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I noticed it is a little muddy when im palm muting with the distortion on its pretty weak but i dont do that much anyway so i can live with it for now.

Everything else im very happy with. Ive never owned a guitar with a thick neck like this one.... and ive only just realised its what i should've got a long time ago, lol.

I probably wont be able to type tomorrow since my finger tips will be ruined playing this thing.... oh well, i dont mind. :)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    chris01 wrote:
    It came today..... and its already my fav guitar ive owned. :D
    Awesome! Congrats on the purchase :)