Effects Pedals and Pearl Jam

chris01chris01 Posts: 559
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know on that giventowail website it tells you Mike and Stone's set up.... but what THREE pedal do you think are essential for a PJ sound?

Ive never really been into effects but im trying to now, lol. I have an Epi Les Paul (thinking of switching to some sort of Fender) and a 50w Marshall amp.... oh and a Washburn electro-acoustic but i wouldnt play effects with that thing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    No pedal is really essential for a "pearl jam" sound

The majority comes from the guitars and the amps, pedals are gravy.

a 50w marshall DSL head and cabinet and some judicious tweaking (volume up quite a bit gain at say 10 o clock to half EQ to ear (you need a bit more mids than most marshall users tend to use) and you'll get there. Pearl Jam is not really doing anything revolutionary, they layer amps now and have exquisite tonal taste, but in the beginning it was simple, basic rock/classic setup. The 100w amps have a bit more balls to them to some peoples ears, but unless you have a tremendous practice space that doesn't care about volume and great ear plugs, it's overkill. the 50 watt JCM 800/900's will get you there. (JCM 900 (made in the 90's) (800 made in the 80's now reissued) (2000 you get the pattern by now, I think the original 800 and 900's are the best as a personal opinion.

On a already driven amp the tubescreamer is a good one to take it over the top but now days there are variations thereof that do a better job of it than they originally used.

So I guess 3 essentials, Overdrive/Boost; Wah; Phaser (4 stage) or univibe/rotating speaker sim

honorable mention delay.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Dont know if im allowed to post links, but this is the Marshall i have. It takes a little tweaking to get the sound i want. Thats why i need a Tele or something, the sound from the amp with my Epi is a little too 'thick' for my taste, if that makes sense.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHMG50DFX
  • it should be noted that having a TUBE amp is critical.

PJ have never used solid state.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • i think the delay tends to be more critical than phaser if you're talking live performance.

honorable mention to the Ebow (almost a pedal) ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    i think the delay tends to be more critical than phaser if you're talking live performance.

honorable mention to the Ebow (almost a pedal) ;)

Mike used more phaser on the 03 tour. New album sounds like some phaser and a few different types of echo.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    This is the problem with PJ :) it depends on if you are talking about live, recorded and then what year as they love to change it up.

If it is Mike's tone you are after, then rely on the good old standbys, Marshalls with a Strat or LP. The pedal choice would be a nice booster for home, or a TS for gigs. I would add a wah, as he tends to have a habit of cocking it in a weird position for cool tones. Other then that, just read up on what his favorite stuff is and you'll get a good idea where he is going. Simple is always best.
    Also, check out tunings, and the alternative tunings because many of their songs are not in standard.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    Dammit, ive only just bought this amp! Lol, oh well.... back to the drawing board as they say.

Just found this amp.

http://www.hwaudio.co.uk/shop/product.asp?PLU=3904

Would that one be similiar of the JCM 800/900 Series?

The reason i dont want to get a cab and head is that my room isnt big enough to justify owning that kind of equipment yet as im not in a band or anything, so im trying to keep it down a little, hence the reason i got that other amp, the one i have ATM and the one in thel link above look roughly the same size.... but the one above being pretty fucking pricey, lol.
    Oh and im talking about either Studio or Live sounds, i wouldnt have thought their set up would be much different between the two TBH, but like i say... i know hardly anything about effects.
    chris01 wrote:
    Dammit, ive only just bought this amp! Lol, oh well.... back to the drawing board as they say.

Just found this amp.

http://www.hwaudio.co.uk/shop/product.asp?PLU=3904

Would that one be similiar of the JCM 800/900 Series?

The reason i dont want to get a cab and head is that my room isnt big enough to justify owning that kind of equipment yet as im not in a band or anything, so im trying to keep it down a little, hence the reason i got that other amp, the one i have ATM and the one in thel link above look roughly the same size.... but the one above being pretty fucking pricey, lol.

not to burst your bubble. I'd rather see you go with a different amp than the TSL 60. When I sold them that particular models reliability sucked and it dosen't do the 100 watt TSL model justice. The 100 watt TSL is a really great sounding amp (it's a DSL with a seperate crunch and lead channel otherwise mostly the same) That's why you can get by with the DSL because with pearl jam you rarely ever need the red side unless you prefer it. The 100 watt TSL also has a half power switch so that's nice. But for that money, you could get a Hiwatt or Reeves or any number of other badass boutique amps. Hell if you like stones sound the TSL 100 is maybe 1600 bucks I think for the head, you could get a Savage Rohr combo (Stone uses the blitz 50)

I think we can probably find you an amp that's cheaper, more reliable and better for the application.

Sovtek for instance. Tube Midget or a Mig 50 or even a Carvin MTS would do the trick. Not that there is an issue with combos I have one myself, but the bass response and overall tone will be more accurate forceful and strong with a seperate closed back cab. No worries there either when you're ready we can find one for the price you want to pay.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Thanks for the advice, im not very good with the knowledge of equipment..... i just play guitar and thats it, lol.

TBH i dont think i could at this moment in time spend $1600 on an amp. Id be hard pushed to spend £500 on one, i think thats about $800-$900. As ihave mentioned in other posts im currently in the market for a Tele, not the replica, the real deal.

So if you could suggest an amp that would be cosy with a Tele and still be able to get the PJ sound then my ears are open for opinion..... there's a mission for ya, lol.

:)
    chris01 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, im not very good with the knowledge of equipment..... i just play guitar and thats it, lol.

TBH i dont think i could at this moment in time spend $1600 on an amp. Id be hard pushed to spend £500 on one, i think thats about $800-$900. As ihave mentioned in other posts im currently in the market for a Tele, not the replica, the real deal.

So if you could suggest an amp that would be cosy with a Tele and still be able to get the PJ sound then my ears are open for opinion..... there's a mission for ya, lol.

:)

cool, since you're in the UK, we'll have to think about that too. UK makes are probably cheaper for you on your side of the pond, so Traynor (which is a great option) might be a little high same with fender and Peavy.

Just keep your eyes and ears open, chances are you'll just run into a good deal, when you find one that works, go for it.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Mike used more phaser on the 03 tour. New album sounds like some phaser and a few different types of echo.
    he did use it a lot but i think the delay has a bigger impact when he chooses to turn it on (immortality is a big one).

sounds like he's got a ton of pedals running this time.. there's a very strange rubber-band type tone he's used a few times that's hard to figure out..

i like it..

contrasts like black and white with stone's beefy tone.

"Make our day"
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Let's not forget that lately, Stone has been relying on the Peavey Delta Blues 210 to get the job done. Hardly an expensive buy. The affordable tube amps from Peavey (Classic and Delta Blues), Fender (Hot Rod) and Traynor are all capable of producing PJ-friendly tones. But a tube amp is almost a necessity. And all of the amps I listed are combos, available in smaller, 1x12" configurations.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Let's not forget that lately, Stone has been relying on the Peavey Delta Blues 210 to get the job done. Hardly an expensive buy. The affordable tube amps from Peavey (Classic and Delta Blues), Fender (Hot Rod) and Traynor are all capable of producing PJ-friendly tones. But a tube amp is almost a necessity. And all of the amps I listed are combos, available in smaller, 1x12" configurations.

The DB 2x10 is one of my favorite budget banditos. I even know the guy I that originally owned my first guitar that's been gigging every saturday for oh 30 years swears by his Delta Blues 1x15. He has several. The 15 is on the bright side for me but oooh I love the punch of the 2x10. Especially if you throw in some webers.
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    he did use it a lot but i think the delay has a bigger impact when he chooses to turn it on (immortality is a big one).

sounds like he's got a ton of pedals running this time.. there's a very strange rubber-band type tone he's used a few times that's hard to figure out..

i like it..

contrasts like black and white with stone's beefy tone.

Definitely his effects of choice in 03.
    He does some cool things with his echo.
    The coolest bein, speedin up the echo and raising the pitch, he keeps climbin and climbin, then all of the sudden he cranks it the other way, and it goes in the this gurgly kinda cool sound.

See the St Lou 03 boot for that specific.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Definitely his effects of choice in 03.
    He does some cool things with his echo.
    The coolest bein, speedin up the echo and raising the pitch, he keeps climbin and climbin, then all of the sudden he cranks it the other way, and it goes in the this gurgly kinda cool sound.

See the St Lou 03 boot for that specific.
    i know exactly what you're talking about :cool:

also.. the volume swells and violin mimics on Inside Job are absolutley gorgeous... dunno if you've heard it ;)

"Make our day"
  • Let's not forget that lately, Stone has been relying on the Peavey Delta Blues 210 to get the job done. Hardly an expensive buy. The affordable tube amps from Peavey (Classic and Delta Blues), Fender (Hot Rod) and Traynor are all capable of producing PJ-friendly tones. But a tube amp is almost a necessity. And all of the amps I listed are combos, available in smaller, 1x12" configurations.

Bingo

Exactly what I was about to post.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Let's not forget that lately, Stone has been relying on the Peavey Delta Blues 210 to get the job done. Hardly an expensive buy. The affordable tube amps from Peavey (Classic and Delta Blues), Fender (Hot Rod) and Traynor are all capable of producing PJ-friendly tones. But a tube amp is almost a necessity. And all of the amps I listed are combos, available in smaller, 1x12" configurations.

Bingo

Exactly what I was about to post.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore