Treble-Inclined Amp?

chris01chris01 Posts: 559
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I didnt know how else to word it.... so thats my title, lol.

Anyone got a suggestion of what amp I could get. Yes i know, there's a million suggestions. :)

To narrow it down, i had a Marshall MG50 and hated the tone from it, it was too 'thick' for my liking.

Was looking at a couple of Vox ones earlier that got pretty good reviews but ive never played one.

50 watts is more than enough as i wont be gigging with it, at least i dont think i will be.

Price, no more than £200 ($350 approx).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'd look for a used tube amp. I'll have suggestions later tonight.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Thanks man.

Quick question, isnt the MG50 a tube amp too?.... I thought i would be steering away from that as i didnt like the tone of it.

If its a valve amp then just ignore this post, lol.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Most of the EL84 amps available to you will have sufficient chime.

Fenders are sufficiently bright as well though being across the pond they might get expensive.

I'd look for non Marshall EL84 amps. (Vox, Orange etc) You might find an AC15CC used for a bit more than 350. The Fender Blues Jr is around that here in the states, and Peavey Crate and Ampeg also have reasonable offerings around that though you will likely need to buy used.

See if you can't find a fender Pro jr at that price.

also look at the bigger Vox Valvetronix amps, they are modelling amps (hybrid tube preamp solid state power) but they are right in your ball park and sound great.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Roc Pro 700 but that amp isn't the best. It's cheap, easy to find used, tube hybrid but it all depends on your taste. It won't break your budget.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    chris01 wrote:
    Thanks man.

Quick question, isnt the MG50 a tube amp too?.... I thought i would be steering away from that as i didnt like the tone of it.

If its a valve amp then just ignore this post, lol.

Nah, the MG series are pure solid state... which is probably why you don't like the tone of it. :)
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Nah, the MG series are pure solid state... which is probably why you don't like the tone of it. :)

Ill take your word for it, as i have no idea what the difference is. lol. :p.

I dont know shit about equipment, i just wanna play guitar and have it sound how i want it to sound, suppose i should educate myself sometime.

I guess since im on a PJ forum it gives an indication as to the music i listen to. :)

Other stuff i listen too (might narrow things down more).

Nirvana, Chili Peppers, Rage, Incubus, Smashing Pumpkins.... and im currently digging Kings of Leon.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Peavey Classic Series is great stuff.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Peavey Classic Series is great stuff.
    +1 - Tube amps are best.
    Agreed, the Peavey Classic series are nice amps.
    Fender also makes nice amps with usually either a bright input or bright button (increasing treble).

***Even if you're gigging, 50-tube watts is more than enough.***
    Actually 30-tube watts are enough for gigs.
    If you’re just using it at home you might want to look in the 30-watt and under range.
    Maybe try a Fender Deluxe Reverb (6V6 and Rectifier tube powered, and only 22-watts).
    Remember, TUBE watts are at least two to three times as loud as solid state.
    And on top of that each amp is different . . .
    My little 60watt Fender Deville 4x10 is louder than a 100watt Marshall JCM900 head/1/2 stack.
    Play play play, and learn about the amp you are going to buy - tubes sound better than solid state.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    Thanks for that info, didnt know that about the 'loud' difference. 30w tube amp for me then!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm gonna cross the floor here and without disagreeing with a singel thing these guys have said about tube amps, say that you should get a solid state amp.
    This is because, without knowing your local market, I just don't think that great tube tone is within your budget. It's not cheap !!
    Unless you can get a great second hand deal on something, you should look at some good solid state jobbies.
    Hughes an Kettner do a series called Edition Blue, which produce seriously good tones, and have on-board effects. There is a 30 watt size which is a great bedroom and small gig amp.
    The hybrids like teh Vox etc are a good option, but it's a matter of price for you there.
    Roland Cube 30 is another budget solid satte option worth looking at, but teh H&K beats it for tone. For a littelmore, you get int o the H&K Matrix series, but I think they might be out of your range.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    I think tube is your best bet. 30watts is more than enough and i reckon a fender blues junior, a fender twin or an orange ac30 are your best options. I have an old old marshall head from the 70's and its 100 watt and i wish i bought a50 watt version because believe me the above post was dead right when it said a 30 watt tube is all you will need!

..... even if you play madison square garden some day!
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
    Unless i can find a cracking deal on eBay for a tube amp, i think ill wait until i can stretch my budget to £300+ for a tube amp, lol. I live in a small town (not to quote a song :D) and there's only 1 music shop, which is close to closing down and only has a few amps in there anyway, so im going to be buying online, i just dont want to buy the wrong amp again, or get ripped off.

Ill be keeping my eyes peeled (never understood that phrase) for sales on the suggestions i got from this thread though. :)
    Just so i know im staying on the right track, Vox AC-15.... good tube amp?

Ive read a few glowing reviews.
  • mohomoho Posts: 541
    vox tube = excellent
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Vox AC15 = Good amp.

I've owned mine for a little over a year, and it's great for the price. Now, i've played a fair bunch of amps in my time, so i will say that it's not my favorite, but it is certainly usable, and it sits at a good volume level, not extremely loud for home use, but loud enough to clear a rock drummer at a band practice. Can be fairly bright, tho not as much as most Fender's. Don't pay more then 400 (american, sorry) used, and not more then 600 new. cheers.

My suggestion, save up another $5000 and buy a vintage AC15 :)
    My suggestion, save up another $5000 and buy a vintage AC15 :)

I want to be able to still play guitar when i get the amp. By the time i save up that much money ill be old and arthritic. :D

They're pretty pricey these Vox ones so ill have to do a little bit of saving anyway, just making sure i wasnt going down the same route as the Marshall MG. Thank. :)
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Not totally related but... can anything bad come from leaving my tube amp on standby for long periods of time?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Not totally related but... can anything bad come from leaving my tube amp on standby for long periods of time?

surely somebody knows
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • my delta blues 115 is really bright.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    surely somebody knows

Nah, I don't think so. Withotu bein an overly technical smart-arse, Clas A/B amps only run a high level of current through the tubes while you are playing. IN between, teh curernt returns to a resting state, teh amount of whihc is dteermined by teh bias setting. That's what bias refers to, how far from the mid-point the resting current is.
    Class A amps run teh same , regardless of whether you are playing or not.
    Class A amps make more heat, so good ventilation is important. Circuit boards are vunerable to excess heat, cos the mass production techniques rely on low-temp solder, and excess heat can result in dry solders and a dead amp, which happened to me last year, which is why I know.
    Cheap to fix though, cost me $80.
    So, ventilation is more important than whether you leave your amp on standby. Tube amps are actually pretty robust. My Lonestar has a fan built into it to ensure "cool runnings" !! LOL !!!!

I'll dig up yeh link to the article explaining mkore of this stuff when I haev a bit more time.
    Music is not a competetion.