Crybaby Wah Problems

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i have the standard dunlop crybaby wah. it sounds great with my michael kelly patriot hot rod guitar. i play through a fender hot rod deluxe. for some odd reason, when i use my new tele with it, it squeaks! i can't use the wah with the tele because of it. i cannot figure it out .. i mean .. it just ..squeaks.anyone know what's up?
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Rough theory, could be because Teles inherently have more treble than say a Les Paul type guitar or Strat.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Rough theory, could be because Teles inherently have more treble than say a Les Paul type guitar or Strat.
    That's what I'm thinking.. maybe more prone to feedback with those wah peaks.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Hmmm. So it's obviously not a WD40-please type of squeak, it's electronic. Moving your setup away from the amp/trying different leads doesn't help?

Well, I'm fucked if I know. Good luck!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    it's called microphonics and or some RF interference sometimes you can pick up radiostations, you can have your pickups wax potted to see if that helps (or have the inside of the wah and inductor shielded mu metal works quite well), you can try modifying the wah a bit to take out the treble, you can try a compressor to squeeze the treble out a bit, or the cheapest solution is to only use the rhythym and middle settings of your pickup selector and or modify your wah sweep technique to not use the extreme top end of the sweep (this of course is after you try moving the pedal rig further away from the amplifier)

One use for the Q control (see crybaby 535 Q or any other wah with a modifiable sweep) is to change the operating frequency of the wah to tune out these peaks so they work with different guitars and pickups.

A tiny bit of squeeze though from a compressor lends generally a plesant result on teles anyway. Every tele should ship with an old MXR dynacomp.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.