Instructions for Pedal Mods & Question About Noise Surpressor

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
does anyone have instructions on how to do mods for the TS9-DX? i would really appreciate it. it's too expensive to have done, but i know someone whocould do it himself with instructions possibly. any other pedal mods would be appreciated as well.

ALSO: i don't want to start another thread so i'm going to ask here. my ds-1 + ts9dx combo lately has been giving me aton of feedback and its getting too loud. i screwed with the settings forever, trust me. i was thinking about buying a nois surpressor. is this worth it? or are there some alternatives that you all know to reduce the buzz without sacrificing the great sound. thanks
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    http://www.robertkeeley.com

why not just spend the few extra bucks and have it done by one of the best?

it will also increase the value of your pedal.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    http://www.robertkeeley.com

why not just spend the few extra bucks and have it done by one of the best?

it will also increase the value of your pedal.

i may not be able to do that though. hmm

but does anyone have any input on the noise surpressor thing?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    does anyone have instructions on how to do mods for the TS9-DX? i would really appreciate it. it's too expensive to have done, but i know someone whocould do it himself with instructions possibly. any other pedal mods would be appreciated as well.

ALSO: i don't want to start another thread so i'm going to ask here. my ds-1 + ts9dx combo lately has been giving me aton of feedback and its getting too loud. i screwed with the settings forever, trust me. i was thinking about buying a nois surpressor. is this worth it? or are there some alternatives that you all know to reduce the buzz without sacrificing the great sound. thanks

check diystompboxes.com for the first thing. their forum may have some info.

as for the noise suppressor. i assume you're talking about noise and feedback when not playing? where do you usually set the gain on these two pedal?

yeah, a noise suppressor will help but it will also completely destroy your notes as they decay. i.e. your sustain would be cut off. i don't think the tradeoff is worth it personally.
    exhausted wrote:
    check diystompboxes.com for the first thing. their forum may have some info.

as for the noise suppressor. i assume you're talking about noise and feedback when not playing? where do you usually set the gain on these two pedal?

yeah, a noise suppressor will help but it will also completely destroy your notes as they decay. i.e. your sustain would be cut off. i don't think the tradeoff is worth it personally.

hmm .. well heres the thing. the boss ds-1 and ts9dx combo gets very buzzy especially with my tele. i use a fender hot rod deluxe amp on the clean channel. my settings on the ts9 are level 3/4 of the way up, tone half way, and the drive basically fully down. on the ds-1 i have the level 3/4 the way up, tone almost half way and the drive a little more than half way. typical settings. idk why it ghets so buzzy. i'm wondering if the mods will give them just a fuller sound to clear that out..then i also wonder if i should get a different distortion pedal rather then the ds-1. i've had it for a long time but havent been too happy with it lately.

EDIT: hmm funny, i whipped out my michael kelly patriot and it sounds absolutely beautiful. i guess its just the buzz from my tele. i have the nashville tele with the three pickups. the guitar is fantastic and i absolutely love the sound of it. i've had it for quite a while now. but recentley with this pedal combination, in the neck, bridge, and middle position, it gets verrry buzzy. if i select in between the neck and middle or between the middle and bridge its fine.
    the neck/middle and bridge/middle positions are quiet because the pickups are designed to cancel hum when they're both on. the rest of the time, you're just picking up single coil hum and with two gain pedal on at once, it's pretty much unavoidable. the pedals are going to generate white noise on their own plus they'll amplifier the him from the pickups.
    exhausted wrote:
    the neck/middle and bridge/middle positions are quiet because the pickups are designed to cancel hum when they're both on. the rest of the time, you're just picking up single coil hum and with two gain pedal on at once, it's pretty much unavoidable. the pedals are going to generate white noise on their own plus they'll amplifier the him from the pickups.

i should probobly buy a set of tele vintage noiseless pickups, no?
    i should probably buy a set of tele vintage noiseless pickups, no?

eh, it's a slippery slope trying to kill hum. this is the start of less playing and more twiddling. (speaking from personal experience).

and i much prefer the SCNs over the noiseless. ;)

both would be better than a noise suppressor in my opinion.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Also check out: Indy-Guitarist
    Brian is great, and dare I say possibly even better then Robert Keeley for MODS.
    Here's a link to his Modifications Page
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    exhausted wrote:
    eh, it's a slippery slope trying to kill hum. this is the start of less playing and more twiddling. (speaking from personal experience).

and i much prefer the SCNs over the noiseless. ;)

both would be better than a noise suppressor in my opinion.

so do you suggest that i look into getting either, rather then my stock tex mex pups?
    it really depends on how much it's bugging you. it's a very effective remedy and i think the pickups sound good.
    exhausted wrote:
    it really depends on how much it's bugging you. it's a very effective remedy and i think the pickups sound good.

i know what you mean. however, on ebay there was one auction for an scn noiseless neck pickup starting at .99 and one for an scn brdige pickup starting at .99. they both have two days left. i'm waiting till the last day, and if they are still under 10 bucks i'm grabbin those babys. thats super cheap for those. it lists them 100 bucks new as a set. i also found an auction for a jeff beck single coil for the middle position (noiselss) and i bid on that. i'm at 7 dollars and winning with a day and whatever hours left. so if i can snag all these for real cheap, then hey, why not.

ianvomsaal wrote:
    Also check out: Indy-Guitarist
    Brian is great, and dare I say possibly even better then Robert Keeley for MODS.
    Here's a link to his Modifications Page
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

thank you for this. you are all going to think i'm NUTS now. but, i saw the plextortion and listened to the demos. nearly shat myself. it was perfect too because he had clips of him using it with my amp. this thing looks fantastic. 200 bucks, but i'm selling my synth wah, compressor and an old acoustic so it will equal out the cash. i'm buying that thing! then once i get it, i'll sell my ds-1 and dual overdrive. along with my eq too, because i only use it for a volume boost for solos, but this pedal has a foot switch for that. here it is: http://www.wamplerpedals.com/plextortion.htm

that thing looks perfect. i love my ds-1 and ts9 combo and the sd-2 ts9 combo, but i just think this thing would be alot better. sometimes i love my distortion/od sound and sometimes i think it's ok. that;'s why i want to just buy this. anyone ever play one?
    ok so you guys really got me exploring now!

please, thoughts on these two guys:

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/plextortion.htm

http://www.customguitargear.com/hbepowerscreamer.html

they both seem amazing. what are your thoughts? you guys really help, so i appreciate any input. also, lets say i were to sell my ds1, sd2 and ts9 [along with other things] would it be worth it? to get both that is. or are they basically too similar of a pedal? i always loved the tubeish od mix with a nice distortion. am i wrong in thinking that the power screamer is more like a reallllly good ts9 with more tonal options and more gain? or is it basically the same thing as the plextortion?
    thank you for this. you are all going to think i'm NUTS now. but, i saw the plextortion and listened to the demos. nearly shat myself. it was perfect too because he had clips of him using it with my amp. this thing looks fantastic. 200 bucks, but i'm selling my synth wah, compressor and an old acoustic so it will equal out the cash. i'm buying that thing! then once i get it, i'll sell my ds-1 and dual overdrive. along with my eq too, because i only use it for a volume boost for solos, but this pedal has a foot switch for that. here it is: http://www.wamplerpedals.com/plextortion.htm

that thing looks perfect. i love my ds-1 and ts9 combo and the sd-2 ts9 combo, but i just think this thing would be alot better. sometimes i love my distortion/od sound and sometimes i think it's ok. that;'s why i want to just buy this. anyone ever play one?
    I think Brian's pedals are amazing sounding, and very ORIGINAL designs, which is rare in todays
    pedal market. He doesn't model his pedals after anything else (they're a completely new build
    design/circuit). And I love that he uses "NORMAL" amps to demo his pedals (not high end or
    boutique amps which almost every pedal sounds good through).Let me know what you think
    when you get it - I've been pondering getting his Plextortion or Ecstasy Drive myself. Try to
    remember that no pedal is the "END ALL" of an amps sound (it's a pedal not that amp), but I
    sure think his pedals sound good.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I think Brian's pedals are amazing sounding, and very ORIGINAL designs, which is rare in todays
    pedal market. He doesn't model his pedals after anything else (they're a completely new build
    design/circuit). And I love that he uses "NORMAL" amps to demo his pedals (not high end or
    boutique amps which almost every pedal sounds good through).Let me know what you think
    when you get it - I've been pondering getting his Plextortion or Ecstasy Drive myself. Try to
    remember that no pedal is the "END ALL" of an amps sound (it's a pedal not that amp), but I
    sure think his pedals sound good.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

thanks. do you have any thoughts on this post? -
    ok so you guys really got me exploring now!

please, thoughts on these two guys:

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/plextortion.htm

http://www.customguitargear.com/hbepowerscreamer.html

they both seem amazing. what are your thoughts? you guys really help, so i appreciate any input. also, lets say i were to sell my ds1, sd2 and ts9 [along with other things] would it be worth it? to get both that is. or are they basically too similar of a pedal? i always loved the tubeish od mix with a nice distortion. am i wrong in thinking that the power screamer is more like a reallllly good ts9 with more tonal options and more gain? or is it basically the same thing as the plextortion?
    bump
    thanks. do you have any thoughts on this post? -
    You can listen to both - let your ears decide for you (I think they're different animals).
    As I said, Brian's Plextortion Pedal is a completely new build design/circuit, thus it's not
    the same as anything else on the market - and I'd really love to try one out).
    I'd go with the Plextortion for that 80's Marshall Roar - or Pinnacle-2 (EVH's Brown Sound).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    You can listen to both - let your ears decide for you (I think they're different animals).
    As I said, Brian's Plextortion Pedal is a completely new build design/circuit, thus it's not
    the same as anything else on the market - and I'd really love to try one out).
    I'd go with the Plextortion for that 80's Marshall Roar - or Pinnacle-2 (EVH's Brown Sound).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

thanks. i'm definitely getting the plextortion very soon. that's no doubt. i will use that as my main typical nice marshally distortion sound. the reason i was also wondering about the power screamer is because i also like to have a stomp for a bit softer but not quite soft (if that makes sense) overdrive pedal, for that crunchy stone sound sometimes too. is there anything you would suggest? and do you think that's the type of animal in a sense that this power screamer is? thanks again. i know i'm a pain in the ass but i want to just settle all this. i think i have a bad pedal addiction hehe.
    thanks. i'm definitely getting the plextortion very soon. that's no doubt. i will use that as my main typical nice marshally distortion sound. the reason i was also wondering about the power screamer is because i also like to have a stomp for a bit softer but not quite soft (if that makes sense) overdrive pedal, for that crunchy stone sound sometimes too. is there anything you would suggest? and do you think that's the type of animal in a sense that this power screamer is? thanks again. i know i'm a pain in the ass but i want to just settle all this. i think i have a bad pedal addiction hehe.
    If you already have a TS9 or even better a BD-2 then you should be all set.
    Both are less expensive than the PS, and will do the rhythm/crunch job fine.

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    If you already have a TS9 or even better a BD-2 then you should be all set.
    Both are less expensive than the PS, and will do the rhythm/crunch job fine.

- Ian

this is true. i just havent always been super thrilled with the ts9dx standing alone.it lacks the gain that the regular ts9 has. do you think that power screamer is that type of a pedal though? the rythem crunch thing?
    this is true. i just havent always been super thrilled with the ts9dx standing alone.it lacks the gain that the regular ts9 has. do you think that power screamer is that type of a pedal though? the rythem crunch thing?
    Never used one - don't know - but it sounds like more of a lead pedal to me.
    I'd say maybe go with a BD-2 Blues Driver since it's more sensitive to guitar volume.
    Opened all the way up it screams, roll the volume back and it cleans up very nice.

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Never used one - don't know - but it sounds like more of a lead pedal to me.
    I'd say maybe go with a BD-2 Blues Driver since it's more sensitive to guitar volume.
    Opened all the way up it screams, roll the volume back and it cleans up very nice.

- Ian

sounds like a good one. does it function as a boost too? and does it sound abit thin? thats the main problem with most boss od/ds pedals. my dual overdrive and ds1 both cannot be played without being in conjunction with the ts9dx because they are too brittle and thin sounding. i'm not sure if there are any other better homemade type brands like kelly and wampler that makes that type of od i want. i strolled across the visual sound routte 66 od though, and that looked pretty neat, if you know anything about it.
    sounds like a good one. does it function as a boost too? and does it sound abit thin? thats the main problem with most boss od/ds pedals. my dual overdrive and ds1 both cannot be played without being in conjunction with the ts9dx because they are too brittle and thin sounding. i'm not sure if there are any other better homemade type brands like kelly and wampler that makes that type of od i want. i strolled across the visual sound routte 66 od though, and that looked pretty neat, if you know anything about it.
    Okay, you haven't played a BD-2 . . . hmmm.
    I think you can use it as a boost if you don't turn the gain up - never tried.
    Almost all of the regulars on here have one, so do a search (you'll find info).
    Uhmmm, No, the BD-2 isn't a thin pedal (it's probably my favorite BOSS OD).
    Keeley and Wampler also do great Mods on the BD-2 pedal.
    Put it this way, I also think the TS-9 sounds a bit thin, so I use it far
    less than my BD-2 (I get much fatter tube-like tones with my BD-2).
    Do yourslf a favor and try one - it sounds completely different than a TS-9.
    I'm not as fond of the Visual Sound OD pedals since the circuit is based on
    the Ibanez TS-9, or was it the Ibanez TS-808 (similar pedals either way).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Okay, you haven't played a BD-2 . . . hmmm.
    I think you can use it as a boost if you don't turn the gain up - never tried.
    Almost all of the regulars on here have one, so do a search (you'll find info).
    Uhmmm, No, the BD-2 isn't a thin pedal (it's probably my favorite BOSS OD).
    Keeley and Wampler also do great Mods on the BD-2 pedal.
    Put it this way, I also think the TS-9 sounds a bit thin, so I use it far
    less than my BD-2 (I get much fatter tube-like tones with my BD-2).
    Do yourslf a favor and try one - it sounds completely different than a TS-9.
    I'm not as fond of the Visual Sound OD pedals since the circuit is based on
    the Ibanez TS-9, or was it the Ibanez TS-808 (similar pedals either way).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

thanks alot, that was very informative. that must be the only boss od pedal i havent tried, only because i always think boss od/ds pedals are thin and brittle as i said. although i knew mike had one and it is also very popular. looks like i'll eventually pic that up too and sell the ts9dx.
    what wampler mod do you suggest for the bd-2 if i were to get one at some point?