Tele Pickups

DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i know i briefly mentioned this in another thread and 'exhausted' gave me some info that was helpful, but i really want to hear what people say. i'm looking into upgrading my tele pickups. i have a nashville. love the thing, but it tends to be pretty damn noisy at times. i know this may be unecassary, it's just something i want to do. so with that in mind, what do you all suggest? remember, theres a strat pickup in the middle, so opinions on that would be great too. some sort of noiseless would be best, or personal favorites that aren't very noisy and sound great. 'exhausted' recommended the SCN noiseless pickups to me. i want to know what you all think about those, along with what you thinkabout just vintage noiseless pickups. lastly, if there are any other tele/middle strat pickups you recommend, please share as much info as you can. i really appreciate it.
2006: Hartford
2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
2011: Ed Solo Hartford
2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I really like the DiMarzio Area T
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I like a ton of different stuff . . . Duncan, Dimarzio, etc,
    But remember, Fender makes noiseless tele pickups.
    click:Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Tele-Pickup-Set
    or
    Fender-SCN-Samarium-Cobalt-Noiseless-Tele-Pickup-Set
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I like a ton of different stuff . . . Duncan, Dimarzio, etc,
    But remember, Fender makes noiseless tele pickups.
    click:Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Tele-Pickup-Set
    or
    Fender-SCN-Samarium-Cobalt-Noiseless-Tele-Pickup-Set

as far as duncan and dimarzio, what do you like?

and i'm aware of the noiseless and the scn noiseless...what are your views on each? and what is really the difference? basically i just need people to expand on their opinions so i can find out more about each type of pickup to ease my decision. thanks alot.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i find the vintage noiseless sound brittle. the SCNs, to me, sound more full, have a bit more output, and generally feel more organic.

i really liked them in my old strat and, if they actually fit, they'd probably be in my current one too.

they're in one of my teles though.
  • I agree with Exhausted, the SCN pickups are great.

It also depends what sound you're after. The Texas Specials in the Nashville are generally noisy pickups, but pretty good. If you like the sound of the pickups that you have, try shielding the pickup and control cavities and under the pickguard before you put money into pups. Make sure your cord and controls are in good shape, too, because they can contribute to the noise and hum. Shielding a regular Tele can help, but with the three pickup rig like that, shielding and grounding can help a lot!

There's a pretty good site that has a great chart on how to shield a guitar. I changed computers and don't have a link, but I'll dig that sucker up and find it for you.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Well, there's no contest really. Kinmans are the best noiseless pickups around. They're also the most expensive pickups around. The SCNs are fine and would probably be my choice, since I'm not made of money. The Vintage Noiseless pickups are shite. Shite, I say!
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    hmm SCN's seem like the popular vote. but before i decide to get them i'd like to see that shielding thing. thanks for all the help guys.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    When I get a new Strat, if it doesn't come with SCN's I'll quickly throw a set of those pups in as soon as possible. I also like their sound.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Novawind wrote:
    When I get a new Strat, if it doesn't come with SCN's I'll quickly throw a set of those pups in as soon as possible. I also like their sound.
    I may be the only one with this opinion, but when I bought my Strat I tried the American Series and American Deluxe, and I honestly thought the American series sounded better.

I am lookin at a tele though:)
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I don't own a Tele, and have never played one, but I have read many rave comments aboiut EMG pups for Tele's, used by guyslike Keith Urban.
    There was a big therad o teh gearpage about this, and even people who generally hate EMG pups had good things to say about stuff for Tele's.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I may be the only one with this opinion, but when I bought my Strat I tried the American Series and American Deluxe, and I honestly thought the American series sounded better.

I am lookin at a tele though:)
    You're certainly not alone there. I think the Delta Tone pickups in the American Standard/Series Teles are THE best-sounding Tele pickups around. Hands down. But, in terms of noiseless, the SCNs run a respectable second to the Kinmans.
  • I was thinking of shielding my tele, but this seems like a lot of work.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.acmeguitarworks.com

I'm ordering my fralins from these guys.

Look around that site there are a lot of good ones there.

I think Bob knows them too.

it really depends what you want but this should help. http://www.projectguitar.com/ref/pickup.htm

Lindy Fralin and Lollars are generally my favorites but I do love the Fender SCN's as well.

Suhr is also amazing.

It's apples and oranges, there are a ton of awesome pickups around.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • journeyman wrote:
    I was thinking of shielding my tele, but this seems like a lot of work.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

8) That's the site I was going to post earlier but never did. Thanks!

I think it's worth it to shield. That way you're getting the quietest sound to work with. It's work. The first time you do it can take a while but it's cheap and worth it.
    I've done a lot of them, and anytime I work on someone's guitar, I shield it.
    Might as well start with a good base, THEN start playing with pickups.

Paco, I really like the stock Fralin tele pups for the old time Tele sound.
    Acme is a great company to work with and the prewire a set you can just drop in to your guitar.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I think it's worth it to shield. That way you're getting the quietest sound to work with. It's work. The first time you do it can take a while but it's cheap and worth it.
    I've done a lot of them, and anytime I work on someone's guitar, I shield it.
    Might as well start with a good base, THEN start playing with pickups.

Paco, I really like the stock Fralin tele pups for the old time Tele sound.
    Acme is a great company to work with and the prewire a set you can just drop in to your guitar.

good to know. I think I'm going to put the really hot QP's from Seymour Duncan or the Rio Grand pickups and that hot slim "stelly" tele strat bridge pup in my other Strat. Maybe a neck humbucker and two other hots, it's the experimental unit I think. I'm going to also change the blocks to callaham and mabye the bridges as well, blackie will get 11's and potentially a new Fat and U carved neck. maybe a tele headstock set up for slide.

I just like the tone quality of the Fralins.

acme aparently just moved to Florida so I'm going to wait a bit for them to get settled.

Think I should use shielding tape or try the pickguard shields?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.